Transfer Speculation Summer 2016

Guest av1

VT does make me laugh. Last year Austin was a failed medical waiting to happen with a hole in his knee and way too expensive at £8m. This year we now want him at £12m after he's spent his time at Southampton split equally between the treatment table and the subs bench. He's not in his prime, his prime was his early 20's, he is the sort of player with a body that can't take the demands of 40 odd games a season. No thanks!

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Fight Like Lions said:

VT does make me laugh. Last year Austin was a failed medical waiting to happen with a hole in his knee and way too expensive at £8m. This year we now want him at £12m after he's spent his time at Southampton split equally between the treatment table and the subs bench. He's not in his prime, his prime was his early 20's, he is the sort of player with a body that can't take the demands of 40 odd games a season. No thanks!

Completely agree.  What's he done at Southampton - something like 1 goal and the rest of the time injured.  No way.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Fight Like Lions said:

Different circumstances . We are now in a division lower, one in which Austin is proven as being a major talent . We also have gestede who appears to be going nowhere but also is starting to show that he too is ideally suited to this league. However none of us would want gestede starting every game , we want a better striker. But given he is scoring goals at this level you would want him to play some part. In those circumstances you would probably look for another striker who may not be able to be in the side for every one of our remaining games and you could rest occasionally and then have gestede come in. I'd say Austin may be perfect for that, but I doubt he will be coming to us

• Like 2

To be fair, I was all for signing Austin last season. Thought he could have kept us up. 

Jedinak   Tish

Ayew     McCormack    Grealish

Austin 3:16

That would absolutely tear this league apart. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Richard said:

Different circumstances . We are now in a division lower, one in which Austin is proven as being a major talent . We also have gestede who appears to be going nowhere but also is starting to show that he too is ideally suited to this league. However none of us would want gestede starting every game , we want a better striker. But given he is scoring goals at this level you would want him to play some part. In those circumstances you would probably look for another striker who may not be able to be in the side for every one of our remaining games and you could rest occasionally and then have gestede come in. I'd say Austin may be perfect for that, but I doubt he will be coming to us

In which case I'd assume there's better, younger players out there that could do that role for £12m. Austin hasn't played regular Championship football for nearly 3 years, in fact the last time he managed 40 appearances was with Burnely in 2012. With Gestede in the squad we need somebody more mobile to play upfront with McCormack just behind. Fortunately, Austin still has 4 years on his Southampton deal with decent wages so he won't be coming here.

Edited by Fight Like Lions

A strike force of McCormack, Austin, Gestede and Ayew would arguably one of the greatest forward lines ever seen in the second tier. Can't see it happening though.

Edited by Mantis
  • Like 1

So with Lescott and Richards possibly leaving. Okore out of the picture now.. and most likely going to leave. 

Surely we need another CB with just Baker and Toner as back up? I see that more of a priority than RB. Bacuna will be okay there IMO. 

Prefer we sign both CB and RB. We need at least 1 more striker and an attacking midfielder. 

If we send Steer out on loan.. worth bringing in Mark Schwartzer as a back up to Gollini? Good experience.. another leader of sorts. Hes out of contract.  

Edited by KSV

8 minutes ago, KSV said:

So with Lescott and Richards possibly leaving. Okore out of the picture now.. and most likely going to leave. 

Surely we need another CB with just Baker and Toner as back up? I see that more of a priority than RB. Bacuna will be okay there IMO. 

Yes i think so, i would like to see. 

Center back. 

Right back.

Attacking Midfielder x 2.

Striker.

Edited by av1

9 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

Austin was the preferred target for most of us to replace Benteke last season in the PL, that's the level he's at. Signing him while in the Championship would be absolutely immense; an even better signing than McCormack.

He scored 75 goals in 138 Championship games for Burnley and QPR which is better than 1 in 2 over 4 seasons and 18 in 36 for QPR in the PL. I can't believe anybody would be remotely against signing him.

If he's that good why do Southampton want shot of him? Genuine question, they lost Pelle in the summer and Jay Rodriguez is another one that suffers with injuries. They don't have an abundance of strikers yet Austin Is being kept out of the team by Nathan Redmond who doesnt normally play upfront???

Southampton finished 6th in the PL last season and have similar and presumably higher European aspirations this year. We're just trying to get out of the Championship. Even if they're trying to get rid of him because he's not good enough for them, that means nothing to us.

2 minutes ago, Fight Like Lions said:

If he's that good why do Southampton want shot of him? Genuine question, they lost Pelle in the summer and Jay Rodriguez is another one that suffers with injuries. They don't have an abundance of strikers yet Austin Is being kept out of the team by Nathan Redmond who doesnt normally play upfront???

He just hasn't worked out for them? It happens. See: Benteke at Liverpool. I'm sure you'd have him back in a heartbeat.

3 minutes ago, Fight Like Lions said:

You mean Nathan 'Thierry Henry' Redmond....

Odd how trends in football go, wingers to strikers, strikers to wide forwads, false 9s, multiple no.10s......

I like the formation mentioned above with two centre backs, a sweeper keeper and wing back strikers. 

14 minutes ago, Fight Like Lions said:

In which case I'd assume there's better, younger players out there that could do that role for £12m. Austin hasn't played regular Championship football for nearly 3 years, in fact the last time he managed 40 appearances was with Burnely in 2012. With Gestede in the squad we need somebody more mobile to play upfront with McCormack just behind. Fortunately, Austin still has 4 years on his Southampton deal with decent wages so he won't be coming here.

He hasnt played Championship football for 3 years? You do realise in one of those years he scored 18 in the Premier League? Austin scores goals simple as that. He went to Saints and got injured it happens. The only reason this medical stuff came out was because David Gold said it. The fact he had hadn't misse a game in the previous 3 years wasn't a juicy headline. I doubt we could get him but if we could he'd be the best striker in the Championship by a mile.