Champions League Draw Last 16

andykeenan

Well in the context of the CL knockout stages, Citeh seem to have done well, and Gent v Wolfsburg is uninspiring.  Arsenal really did get one of the short straws.  Not that Barca are the indomitable side they were.  There are chinks in their armour, but over 2 legs you'd expect them to have enough.

Unlucky to have Bayern in their group so were always going to finish second at best. Nice reward for a perfect week, but Barcelona like Real Madrid are vunerable right now. If you can get at them which Arsenal can they have a chance. Tough draw for Chelsea too. Good draw for Man City.

2 hours ago, andykeenan said:

Gent v Wolfsburg

Roma v Real Madrid

PSG v Chelsea

Arsenal v Barcelona

Juventus v Bayern Munich

PSV v Atletico Madrid

Benfica v Zenit

Dynamo Kiev v Man City

With Roma and Juventus having tricky ties it's all down to Man City for the coefficient points in the CL then. I think Arsenal and Chelsea will go out. Italian teams vs English teams in the Europa will be very interesting as the English sides normally give up in the Europa knockouts more often than not

36 minutes ago, KHV said:

Objective achieved though, he just has to finish top 4 (which he will) and that's a standard Arsenal season.

Yep, textbook :) Once they're eliminated from the CL, they can concentrate on qualifying for the CL next season where they can then be eliminated in the early knock out stages and concentrate on qualifying for the CL :P Rinse and repeat.

4 hours ago, PaulC said:

Unlucky to have Bayern in their group so were always going to finish second at best. Nice reward for a perfect week, but Barcelona like Real Madrid are vunerable right now. If you can get at them which Arsenal can they have a chance. Tough draw for Chelsea too. Good draw for Man City.

What do you mean vulnerable right now? The match is in february and march so any injuries would probably be healed. Plus Barca is getting Turan and Vidal in January. 

PSG always look like they can win it but dont have mentality, they battered Real a few weeks ago and still lost 1-0

think Chelsea could do that but its 2 months until game so no idea what can happen between then

2 hours ago, Czechlad said:

What do you mean vulnerable right now? The match is in february and march so any injuries would probably be healed. Plus Barca is getting Turan and Vidal in January. 

On recent form they have given away a goal lead against Valencia and a 2 goal lead on saturday. From an attacking point of view they are still great. Also Turan will be available in January. Yes i expect them to beat Arsenal easily but they have concede a few more goals than they did last season.

5 hours ago, BOF said:

Yep, textbook :) Once they're eliminated from the CL, they can concentrate on qualifying for the CL next season where they can then be eliminated in the early knock out stages and concentrate on qualifying for the CL :P Rinse and repeat.

And watch the money pile up 

I'll say it now, I think Arsenal can do Barca this year.

They've been impressive moreso this year, one or two wobbles but likewise with Barca ( gave a way a 2 goal lead last week ).

Ozil is on form, Giroud playing very well and I assume Sanchez Cazorla, Coquelin and co will be back? at least a couple of them will be.

Very tough, but I think they can get past them.

14 minutes ago, Rodders said:

I'll say it now, I think Arsenal can do Barca this year.

I disagree. Messi, Suarez and Neymar are the three best players in world football and Milk turns faster than mertesacker. Barca by 3 goals on aggregate.

Â