Champions League Draw Last 16

andykeenan

5 hours ago, villa89 said:

I disagree. Messi, Suarez and Neymar are the three best players in world football and Milk turns faster than mertesacker. Barca by 3 goals on aggregate.

Yes Suarez unlucky not to be nominated for the ballon d'or. Those three are a different class to what Arsenal have. Arsenal got murdered by Bayern, the only chance they have is if Barcelona keep leaking goals the way they are at present.

43 minutes ago, PaulC said:

Arsenal got murdered by Bayern, the only chance they have is if Barcelona keep leaking goals the way they are at present.

Six goals conceded in their last eleven games?

It's hardly Swindon Town 93/94.

5 hours ago, PaulC said:

Yes Suarez unlucky not to be nominated for the ballon d'or. Those three are a different class to what Arsenal have. Arsenal got murdered by Bayern, the only chance they have is if Barcelona keep leaking goals the way they are at present.

Barca don't tend to travel well to me, they only drew 1-1 in Roma and Leverkusen. O.k Leverkusen was dead game but Messi was still playing in it. When was the last time they actually won in England in a knock out game?

Trend for this tie in recent times has been score draw at Emirates and Barca comfortably win at Camp Nou so would imagine the same here. I still remember Arsenal really should've knocked them out in 2011, they had Bendtner upfront in those days. 

True but that 2011 was a bleeding good team aswell, David Villa was a fantastic scorer in his own right and had Xavi pulling the strings in midfield.

I only mention Bendtner as I'm pretty sure he missed an open goal 5 minutes from end which would've put Arsenal through.

I think the problem for Arsenal is how strong or not they'll be in midfield. Cazorla will be out for both times, Coquelin may make it back but will be lacking fitness. Ozil + Sanchez + Walcott if they're all fit will create chances against Barca's defence. 

Edited by VillaChris

Midfield is key yes. Arsenal wont have a great deal of possession but I just don't know how their defence will cope with The Barcelona front 3. They didn't cope very well in Munich. Yes Barcelona with Xavi and Iniesta at their peak were better in midfield than the current team but not as exiting to watch  i don't think. I think the trophy will be either lifted by Barcelona or Bayern. I wouldn't rule out Atletico winning la liga though

57 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

Barca don't tend to travel well to me, they only drew 1-1 in Roma and Leverkusen. O.k Leverkusen was dead game but Messi was still playing in it. When was the last time they actually won in England in a knock out game?

Trend for this tie in recent times has been score draw at Emirates and Barca comfortably win at Camp Nou so would imagine the same here. I still remember Arsenal really should've knocked them out in 2011, they had Bendtner upfront in those days. 

1-2 At Man city last season. The game which Messi missed a last minute penalty in

On 12/15/2015 at 10:48, VillaChris said:

True but that 2011 was a bleeding good team aswell, David Villa was a fantastic scorer in his own right and had Xavi pulling the strings in midfield.

I only mention Bendtner as I'm pretty sure he missed an open goal 5 minutes from end which would've put Arsenal through.

I think the problem for Arsenal is how strong or not they'll be in midfield. Cazorla will be out for both times, Coquelin may make it back but will be lacking fitness. Ozil + Sanchez + Walcott if they're all fit will create chances against Barca's defence. 

Wan't that the year where Van Persie was sent off for shooting after the whistle had gone? I think Arsenal should have gone through that year. 

Edited by LondonLax

On 12/15/2015 at 01:59, One For The Road said:

I'm amazed that any Villa fans would give even the slightest **** about the CL draw tbh.

Just my opinion.

Yeah. Why would football fans have any interest in a tournament containing the best club teams in the world?

Bloody mental!

On 12/15/2015 at 23:48, VillaChris said:

Think that's slightly harsh on Bendtner.

It was a good chance, and he did fluff it. But it certainly wasn't an open goal!

1 hour ago, Stevo985 said:

Yeah. Why would football fans have any interest in a tournament containing the best club teams in the world?

Bloody mental!

Maybe because a lot of people don't care for the over hyped, ridiculously self indulgent nonsense of such a tournament? The CL is so far away from being the kind of football id watch it's unreal. A load of mega rich clubs getting together to rake in a load of TV cash isn't my idea of entertainment. 

What's mental about that?

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, One For The Road said:

Maybe because a lot of people don't care for the over hyped, ridiculously self indulgent nonsense of such a tournament? The CL is so far away from being the kind of football id watch it's unreal. A load of mega rich clubs getting together to rake in a load of TV cash isn't my idea of entertainment. 

What's mental about that?

Well, it's all relative isn't it? 

The 20 clubs that make up the Premier League are amongst the 20 richest clubs in the world, and all of them are richer than the majority of teams who participate in the Champion's League.

In 2014 Cardiff received more money through TV and prize money for finishing bottom of the Premier League than Real Madrid earned in prize money and TV revenue from winning the Champion's League.

On the bright side you won't need to watch "a load of mega rich clubs getting together to rake in a load of TV cash" by watching the Villa next season.

Â