Robert Duverne

SikhInTrinity

It's almost like we're going back to what we tried to do under Houllier - hopefully it'll work this time but I'm concerned about the possibility of negative attitudes from some of our more laid back British players like Gabby, Richards and Lescott. 

Richards has played abroad and under foreign bosses so don't think it'll be a shock to him at all. 

• Like 2

I think it is all about wanting to improve your match fitness or not. Those that do not soon get found out on the pitch. I guess those players will not see a lot of first team action from now on whether they had a get out of jail free card previously or not. For me it is not asking a lot for well paid players to work at their fitness in a way that is suitable to the club and to their own capabilities to do so.       

• Like 1

If Paul McGrath was asked to train harder and refused due to he knew his body, would he have been a disgrace?

Yes but you are the one presuming this thing about their physical limit. Collins was 27 at the time.

My point is more about Dunne, but being 27 doesn't mean he doesn't have limits. What ever was introduced and how it was introduced last time didn't work. Hopefully it has a more positive effect under Garde.

Okay, he has limits because he's human, but the guy's still playing top-flight football more than half a decade later, having played for tough fitness-first managers like Allardyce, I really don't think he was close to breaking point. 

Collins liked his Beer and had consumed too much when the explosion happened, egged on by the Senior Pro Dunne.

Last Time the upcoming Youth/Young players were meant to very much like the regime that Bob implemented.

Players like Clark etc enjoyed it (If you can enjoy intense fitness sessions!).

Gabby is really the only overlap with the relaxed ONeil take on training.

It's almost like we're going back to what we tried to do under Houllier - hopefully it'll work this time but I'm concerned about the possibility of negative attitudes from some of our more laid back British players like Gabby, Richards and Lescott. 

Richards and Lescott laid back? How have you reached that conclusion? Just because they're British?

Richards doesn't seem laid back to me at all. Gabby, sure. I couldn't really say about Lescott.

But Richards seems pretty intense to me on the pitch.

Yeah with Richards it's more about focusing his energy and taking the right decisions at the right time

• Like 1

Richards doesn't seem laid back to me at all. Gabby, sure. I couldn't really say about Lescott.

If Richards trains anything like he plays on match days then I’d imagine he is the most intense player we have in training.

I actually have little worries about the players being willing to break their balls in training. I think the attitude of the players in the main hasn’t been a problem. They have been putting a shift in. Poor tactics, team selection and individual errors resulting in a real lack of confidence now are the major issues for me.

New ideas and training with more intensity will feel like a fresh start and hopefully help result in a more confident and purposeful approach in games.

Edited by markavfc40
  • Like 1

Indeed. A man does not get to be such a unit without being absolutely dedicated to his health and fitness. I have never once watched Richards play and thought "he's flagging here". He's surely the type who will absolutely love a 5am run?

I think people are being a bit harsh on Gabby. I recall him responding well to Duverne last time and he looks after himself, no doubt. I still think he's done as a player, so it's most likely irrelevant.

I don't think anybody wants him to go Felix Mcgath on them.

• Like 2

Why all the negativity around Gabby with Duverne. They worked closely doing a lot of 1 on 1 sessions last time he was here and there was no issue between the pair of them last time round

Why all the negativity around Gabby with Duverne. They worked closely doing a lot of 1 on 1 sessions last time he was here and there was no issue between the pair of them last time round

It's slag off Gabby at any chance time, didn't you know?

Edited by guyavfc
  • Like 3

Indeed. A man does not get to be such a unit without being absolutely dedicated to his health and fitness. I have never once watched Richards play and thought "he's flagging here". He's surely the type who will absolutely love a 5am run?

I think people are being a bit harsh on Gabby. I recall him responding well to Duverne last time and he looks after himself, no doubt. I still think he's done as a player, so it's most likely irrelevant.

He did respond well to Duverne, Houllier and GMac were impressed with the work they were doing together

He did respond well to Duverne, Houllier and GMac were impressed with the work they were doing together

Not true if you actually read this.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2038159/Aston-Villa-star-Gabriel-Agbonlahor-says-Gerard-Houllier-killed-England-hopes.html

Gabriel Agbonlahor has hit out at Aston Villa boss Gerard Houllier for 'killing' his England hopes. The striker had the worst run of his career when the Frenchman was in charge of Villa last term. And the 24-year-old said: 'Last season killed me a lot, I feel I have to start again with England now.'It was a season to forget. The set-up was frustrating.'Agbonlahor only started 19 games last season, and he told the Sun: 'One game you would score. The next game you would be on the bench. I was not used to it.'Luckily the manager left and McAllister (assistant manager Gary) left as well.'He now hopes a good run in the team under new manager Alex McLeish can out him back in the reckoning for a place in the national team.'Euro 2012 is still a target. Anything can happen with injuries and people can lose their form. The new manager has given me a chance. 'England have really good players but if I could get that chance, then I would be excited by it.'Hopefully I’ll steer clear of injuries and play well for Villa.'

http://www.birminghammail.co.uk/news/local-news/aston-villa-striker-gabby-agbonlahor-225486

The striker also hit out at former boss Gerard Houllier, saying the strict regime he brought to the club reminded him of being at school. The Frenchman stepped down after a heart scare following a troubled season with Villa, with reports of unrest among top players. He had also provoked a backlash amongst fans after praising his former club Liverpool – after Villa had lost at Anfield.“There were too many rules last year, it was like being at school again,” Gabby admitted. “I think he was an ex-teacher wasn’t he? So he was like a school teacher here. “There was people losing their jobs... it just wasn’t a good time at all. “Now there’s a better set-up, the training is better, more relaxed and there’s a better atmosphere around the place.”

Too many rules is that bloke for real

Tell me about it. Ridiculous. They are professional athletes earning minimum £20k a week. The money they earn is relevant here, it's not supposed to be easy! It's supposed to be **** hard work being a top level footballer, if it isn't then something is wrong.

I've not read that interview before, it explains so much about Gabby in particular and perhaps our club as a whole over the last few years. For far too long our supposed stars have been living the easy life, in a dream world. If they DON'T think they should be living and breathing the sport then sod off and do something else, or to Sunderland where they appear to do nothing but have a good time off the pitch. Don't waste OUR time and OUR money.

• Like 3

Too many rules is that bloke for real

Tell me about it. Ridiculous. They are professional athletes earning minimum £20k a week. The money they earn is relevant here, it's not supposed to be easy! It's supposed to be **** hard work being a top level footballer, if it isn't then something is wrong.

I've not read that interview before, it explains so much about Gabby in particular and perhaps our club as a whole over the last few years. For far too long our supposed stars have been living the easy life, in a dream world. If they DON'T think they should be living and breathing the sport then sod off and do something else, or to Sunderland where they appear to do nothing but have a good time off the pitch. Don't waste OUR time and OUR money.

Spot on!

Gabby and N'Zogbia would fit in perfectly at Sunderland, make it happen Big Sam

Â