The Rémi Garde thread

KJT123

13 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

With Benteke. 

People keep ignoring this as if it's some kind of side-issue. Anybody could get better results out of a team with Benteke in it. 

Well the manager he replaced couldn't, hence he needed replacing. Getting the best out of your players is what managers are meant to do. Getting the best out of Benteke shouldn't be pushed a side just because it's Benteke. Klopp currently can't do it. 

10 minutes ago, PaulC said:

Yes but he got the best out of Benteke, Delph and Cleverley, something Lambert failed to do that season.

Garde's way of playing would not work for Benteke

Your assumption here is that Garde would have the same 'way of playing' with Benteke. You might be right of course, but you equally might be completely wrong about that. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

Well the manager he replaced couldn't, hence he needed replacing. Getting the best out of your players is what managers are meant to do. Getting the best out of Benteke shouldn't be pushed a side just because it's Benteke. Klopp currently can't do it. 

I'm not saying it should be 'pushed aside'. Getting the most out of Benteke is basically the only thing I give Sherwood credit for. 

Nevertheless, it can't be ignored that he's a much, much, much better player than any striker currently at the club. When Sherwood didn't have Benteke, we couldn't score and we were shite. 

3 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

I'm not saying it should be 'pushed aside'. Getting the most out of Benteke is basically the only thing I give Sherwood credit for. 

Nevertheless, it can't be ignored that he's a much, much, much better player than any striker currently at the club. When Sherwood didn't have Benteke, we couldn't score and we were shite. 

Benteke wasn't the sole reason we survived. Grealish looked a different player, cleverly was a better player and hell even nzogbia contributed some to the cause. 

Yes he had better players but he got the best out of a lot of them. He failed miserably this season. 

Now while Garde hasn't got a good squad, how many players has he got the absolute best from? Ayew in a handful of games is the only one that springs to mind. 

Benteke wasn't the sole reason we survived. Grealish looked a different player, cleverly was a better player and hell even nzogbia contributed some to the cause. 

Yes he had better players but he got the best out of a lot of them. He failed miserably this season. 

Now while Garde hasn't got a good squad, how many players has he got the absolute best from? Ayew in a handful of games is the only one that springs to mind. 

We're probably never going to agree on this, but let me highlight:

'He failed miserably this season'

But that's the only season in which you can directly compare the playing squads, because they were the same. And this season, Garde has done (slightly) better than Sherwood. 

This is pointless anyway. The real problem at this club isn't Sherwood or Garde, it's Randolph D Lerner and bickering about managers is exactly what he would like us to be doing. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

Benteke's goals made a HUGE contribution to our survival. We have nobody in our team right now that can do what he did, and with goals lacking from other departments, it makes it very difficult to win games.

I'm not sure that anybody could get the best out of this lot right now, even with some slight improvements in the likes of Veretout or Gana, we just look like a bunch of guys who don't really care. When you have more than a few bad eggs in a group, whether it is in sport or business or anywhere in life, it makes it very difficult to work well together as a team. 

IMO Lescott, Richards, Gabby, Westwood, Bacuna all need to be dropped now. The problem that Garde is stating is that he simply can't drop players that are greatly underperforming because there is nobody to replace them with. A big problem I see is that the players who seem like "bad eggs" i.e. Richards, Lescott, Gabby, N'Zogbia, Guzan, are still in the dressing room if they are dropped - and they're our most senior players!

Has Garde got the best out of our squad? No. Are the players willing to actually give their best? No, it seems that they aren't.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

We're probably never going to agree on this, but let me highlight:

'He failed miserably this season'

But that's the only season in which you can directly compare the playing squads, because they were the same. And this season, Garde has done (slightly) better than Sherwood. 

This is pointless anyway. The real problem at this club isn't Sherwood or Garde, it's Randolph D Lerner and bickering about managers is exactly what he would like us to be doing. 

I'm not really trying to compare. I was just making the point that managers have to get the best out what they work with and Garde is failing to do that. 

And agree with your final point. 

Edited by DCJonah

8 minutes ago, samjp26 said:

Benteke's goals made a HUGE contribution to our survival. We have nobody in our team right now that can do what he did, and with goals lacking from other departments, it makes it very difficult to win games.

I'm not sure that anybody could get the best out of this lot right now, even with some slight improvements in the likes of Veretout or Gana, we just look like a bunch of guys who don't really care. When you have more than a few bad eggs in a group, whether it is in sport or business or anywhere in life, it makes it very difficult to work well together as a team. 

IMO Lescott, Richards, Gabby, Westwood, Bacuna all need to be dropped now. The problem that Garde is stating is that he simply can't drop players that are greatly underperforming because there is nobody to replace them with. A big problem I see is that the players who seem like "bad eggs" i.e. Richards, Lescott, Gabby, N'Zogbia, Guzan, are still in the dressing room if they are dropped - and they're our most senior players!

Has Garde got the best out of our squad? No. Are the players willing to actually give their best? No, it seems that they aren't.

I don't really disagree with that but at the same time it's giving a highly paid manager a free pass to fail week in week out. We have to have higher expectations on the manager than just turning up to work. 

I don't really disagree with that but at the same time it's giving a highly paid manager a free pass to fail week in week out. We have to have higher expectations on the manager than just turning up to work. 

Of course, but with this bunch of players I don't think he can get much more out of them, simply because we have a bad bunch in the squad who wouldn't give more even if they could.

I honestly think that if Garde was allowed to bring in a few players in January, he could've got us a few better results. I also think that if somehow he stays in the summer and is allowed to shape the squad to his taste, he will do better.

Sadly though I don't think Garde will be here next season, and I also don't think we'll be investing much in the summer when we get relegated.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, StefanAVFC said:

There are actually people who would take sherwood back?

I need a lie down. 

They'd be crazy. However in hindsight we may as well have stuck with him and sorted the next manager out in the summer to get the best possible one for our situation. 

11 hours ago, Zatman said:

Worst manager in Villa history and no signs of improvement. a pathetic performance and still throws on the tried and tested shit like Sinclair and Gestede instead of some kids

at least Sherwood got us to a cup final and survival

Your Sherwood erection is hilarious

Â