The Rémi Garde thread

KJT123

I can only think that when the club said they would "back him" they left out, "into a wall"! I think the club have failed financially in order to get any of the potential deals over the line and it would not surprise me in the slightest if we have tried putting some stupid clauses into contracts that were offered, that would never be accepted by players. Lerner, Hollis and Fox have hung Remi out to dry. He looks drained compared to a few weeks ago. Then again you only have to look around the ground on match days and you will see 16 year olds looking like they have done 2 tours of Afghanistan. Everyone is drained at the moment.

I think if he walked every single supporter of the club could completely understand and wouldn't hold it against him in the slightest. I think he has been impeccable since being here and has the makings of a very good manager and it's just unfortunate he will never realise that at Villa.

What pisses me off about this whole situation is not the just relegation as I have seen it before. It's the club surrendering unconditionally on Feb 1st with 45 points still to play for and letting everyone know. That is totally unforgiveable imo! 

What I do hope is that should we fail to pick any points over the next couple of weeks the fans on match days vent their anger and frustrations on the owner and the board while supporting the players and manager. That is the only way to let them and everyone else know who we truly blame for the shambles of the last few years. I'm f****** disgusted and sick of the lot of them ruining our club more and more every week.

• Like 1

This is just conjecture but I could see Garde giving the club an ultimatum - back me in the summer or I walk. If he doe s go though I expect it'll be in a dignified manner at the start of the summer unlike that cretin O'Neill.

Edited by Mantis

The ultimatum was given.  He has not been backed.  It is now a question of when he walks not if.  He is a man of honour and dignity and I suspect he will see it out until the summer.  If I were him I'd go at 5 past 11 tonight it would then be clear

Rémi Garde spoke of frustration at the lack of transfer activity in this window - but stressed that his "inner strength" would help him rally the troops for what he hopes will be a grandstand finish to the season.

Garde admitted that the club had been hard at work all month to bring in the several new players he wanted to spark the squad into a revival.

But he revealed he had missed out on his targets for a number of reasons.

Despite these setbacks, boss Garde has vowed to do everything in his power to help the claret and blues achieve top-flight safety.

He said: "I am disappointed. I know the team needs strengthening and improving with new players.

"Probably the main reasons we haven't been able to are that we are bottom of the league and not very attractive for players - and also because financially-speaking the club is not in the situation, probably, where they wanted to spend too much money.

"I can understand that because in the last four or five years a lot of money has been spent without big results.

"But I cannot say that the club decided not to sign players. The truth is we identified a goalkeeper - the deal was good with the club and the player. We were denied a work permit. It was a big blow that we were not expecting.

"I had a long conversation with a striker but he chose finally to sign for another team.

"It's not fair to say that we try not to sign players.

"I will do my best. I am sure the players will do the same.

"One or two new players would have been helpful for the target. But we still need to believe.

"I started my career with disappointment - not playing for two years because of a cruciate ligament injury.

"I was 18 at the time and then 18 months later I was playing for the French national team.

"I have a strength inside of me. I will cope with every situation I have to.

"I am disappointed. I am not down. I am still fighting and proud to be in this position as manager of this club.

"I don't feel like I have problems. I have a squad. I have players and I am sure they will show, despite this window, that we will still be alive."

From OS

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Richard said:

The ultimatum was given.  He has not been backed.  It is now a question of when he walks not if.

Again, an honest question here.  Do we know this to be absolutely true or is there even a small element of assumption going on?

1 minute ago, BOF said:

Again, an honest question here.  Do we know this to be absolutely true or is there even a small element of assumption going on?

My opinion of course Brian.  But based on what he has said today,  his body language,  reading between the lines.

19 minutes ago, Richard said:

The ultimatum was given.  He has not been backed.  It is now a question of when he walks not if.  He is a man of honour and dignity and I suspect he will see it out until the summer.  If I were him I'd go at 5 past 11 tonight it would then be clear

We tried for his targets, they didn't want to come. You can't say he's not been backed unless the issue with them not coming was wages related? Which we don't know for sure, in fact it's far more likely that these players didn't want to join the club because we're almost certain to be relegated. 

Edited by PieFacE

36 minutes ago, avfc1982am said:

What I do hope is that should we fail to pick any points over the next couple of weeks the fans on match days vent their anger and frustrations on the owner and the board while supporting the players and manager.

This. Absolutely this. 

The players may not be the best in the league, but the last few weeks they've started to improve. We've also got a manager who clearly can see where things need to get better.

The boards job was to back the manager this window. They've failed. Not the players or Remi.

1 hour ago, Richard said:

47 minutes ago, Richard said:

My opinion of course Brian.  But based on what he has said today,  his body language,  reading between the lines.

Your first post was a bit misleading bearing that in mind.

• Like 1

Based on his latest presser I'd guess that we were willing to pay for keeper, and loan a fullback and striker. Keeper fell through because of work permit, Full-back, maybe he thought he had better options elsewhere and striker looks like due to him choosing Newcastle (I would guess). 

Not massively encouraging but slightly better than no trying for anything I guess

• Like 2

3 hours ago, GeordieVillan said:

Villa managers age at the same rate as the Prime Minister. The two most stressful jobs in the country!

watching Match of the Day last week and Sherwood looked about 10 years younger than he did in his last says here

• Like 1

Â