The Rémi Garde thread

KJT123

13 minutes ago, VillaCas said:

A question for you guys - How many points does Garde need to get from the last 18 games to be allowed to lead the Championship campaign

I would say for me 15. He has to make us look less embarrassing when the final table is made and make us look a bit more competitive

• Like 1

1 hour ago, VillaCas said:

My view is that the current squad is beyond anyones abilty to deliver real improvement

No, totally disagree with this in every sense.

Not only should he improve them, he must.  We will not get funds for better players than we have now.

Garde has even less experience of "overhauling" a squad than he does improving on the one he already has.  So on every count, if he fails to improve them - wrong man for the job in every sense.

It's widely accepted he's made mistakes, even with selection - so to say the team cannot be improved by anyone is ludicrous.  We also haven't had a proven, really good manager, so how can anyone say they cannot be improved by anyone.  We have nothing to measure that by.

1 hour ago, Zatman said:

I would say for me 15. He has to make us look less embarrassing when the final table is made and make us look a bit more competitive

I would say about double of what we already have with the last half of the season.  That would be 16 more, so about the same :)

• Like 1

12 hours ago, VillaCas said:

A question for you guys - How many points does Garde need to get from the last 18 games to be allowed to lead the Championship campaign

23 points minimum

Edited by KHV

12 minutes ago, VillaCas said:

We disagree on this - personally I beleive that the current squad is beyond any meaningful improvement (the kind that would get us out of the relegation places). Player for player they are not quite the worst but they do not come together to make a cohesive whole. They are fundamentally unbalanced - they could be coached I guess to concede a few less but I don't really see how they can be helped to score a few more

The fact that we will not have funds to buy better players is a complete red herring - I don't think that we need better players, even bringing in a couple of average players in the right areas would redress the balance and get us playing better.  I'm not sure Marc Albrighton is a "better player" than Jack Grealish but at the moment I know which one I would rather have in the side. Is Robert Huth a "better player" than Micah Richards? We need to bring in three or four players who will give more balance and solidity to the side

I also don't accept that Garde has made that many mistakes - any new manager would need to go through the same process of trying players and formations. He is not helped by the paucity of resources available. 

The previous 9 games before Garde produced one point, Garde's first 9 games have produced 4 points - that is improvement of a sort but nothing meaningful. Whilst I had hoped for a bigger turnaround, equally I'm not surprised that Garde could not work a miracle

I'm not yet a Garde fan and I won't continue to support him if I don't see signs that he is heading in the right direction but I've got to give the bloke more than 9 games before I join those booing and castigating him.  I will wait and see what he is allowed to do in the January window (hopefully improve our attacking options) before I set my expectation of him for the remainder of the season.

To finish on a conciliatory note I think your benchmark of 16 more points from 18 games is reasonable and in line with my thinking given a little help during January

Agreed on all points, the squad needs a complete overhaul. Whether or not Remi is the man to do that is open to debate, but I can't attribute to much blame to Remi for our current plight. 

11 minutes ago, Didiersix said:

There is something about Garde that I really like. Now, I am not saying that it is certain to work out, but I think his approach is that there is little point pissing about at the margins. The club needs serious root and branch overhaul and he wants to lay down some proper foundations. I think he has got a really good handle on just how bad the problems are and how to put a strategy in place. I really liked this quote from his press conference today:

Yep I highlighted something a long these lines a while ago. I think the club has been in turmoil for years and none of the past managers how the balls to make tough decisions, for example freeze gabby out like Garde has done

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Richard said:

I'd like us to end the season with 30 points.  We are going down this year but how we go down affects next year.  If we go down with battling spirit ,  winning some games and fighting as a team it will stand us in good stead next year against teams in that division who will have won 20 plus games and just missed out on promotion or been play off finalists ,  teams with good spirit and high motivation already and determined to get out of that league.

If we go down with less than 20 points and middle teens then I really fear for us next season as well.

Thats a good post and i agree with it 100%

29 minutes ago, Didiersix said:

There is something about Garde that I really like. Now, I am not saying that it is certain to work out, but I think his approach is that there is little point pissing about at the margins. The club needs serious root and branch overhaul and he wants to lay down some proper foundations. I think he has got a really good handle on just how bad the problems are and how to put a strategy in place. I really liked this quote from his press conference today:

Mojo, the spunk, the life force, the essence, the right stuff. What the French call a certain... I don't know what

9219a676994c6901b43801a4169a8024.jpg

Remi's got it.

The interesting bit from that interview is the piece about him being involved in training and not wanting to delegate that at all ,  which is fair enough but sort of goes in the face of the perceived wisdom of the last few days that he is having to get involved because he does not have his team around him

23 minutes ago, Richard said:

I'd like us to end the season with 30 points.  We are going down this year but how we go down affects next year.  If we go down with battling spirit ,  winning some games and fighting as a team it will stand us in good stead next year against teams in that division who will have won 20 plus games and just missed out on promotion or been play off finalists ,  teams with good spirit and high motivation already and determined to get out of that league.

If we go down with less than 20 points and middle teens then I really fear for us next season as well.

Yep, that is my thinking as well. We need to build a bit of confidence and momentum to take us into next season. If we go down without as much as a whimper, then the smallish doubts I have about Remi will grow into big doubts.

33 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Yep I highlighted something a long these lines a while ago. I think the club has been in turmoil for years and none of the past managers how the balls to make tough decisions, for example freeze gabby out like Garde has done

The Gabby situation is more to do with the club not being able to afford him beyond this season than Garde.

14 hours ago, VillaCas said:

Good question. Although I think he'll be in charge regardless, realistically I'd like as close to a total of 30 points at the end of the season. So about 22 more points from a possible 54.

And unrealistically, if we could get 21 of those points from winning against these 7- 

• Liverpool (just cos)
• Man Utd (to laugh at my glory hunting mates further at their "hard times")
• Baggies, Leicester and Stoke (just to remind them that despite our current predicament we'll always be the superior midlands team)
• Everton (don't mind the toffees, but it'll be the last time we play them for a while so it would be nice if we said goodbye to our frequent opponents with a win)
• Newcastle (to take them down with us)

The 22nd point to be earned against the confirmed title winners Arsenal, we bow out in style by coming back from 3-0 down at half time to leave them with a slightly bitter aftertaste.

On ‎05‎/‎01‎/‎2016 at 14:44, bobzy said:

I find it bizarre that people actively hate others who have tried to succeed at our club.  Lambert's failing was that he ended up not being good enough.  What a terrible person, eh?  Hate.  Unreal.

Brian Little had hate from people at the end of his time here.

Brian **** Little should never get shit from Villa fans - ever. Same category as Paul McGrath and Franz Carr for me. Untouchable.

Maybe not Franz.

• Like 4

Â