The Rémi Garde thread

KJT123

Whilst I am desperate for Remi Garde or any other manager IN THE JOB to succeed.....To render Nigel Pearsons name,as laughable, when we was recruiting for the post....is in itself ironically,laughable.

How some fans can be so sure of a manager succeeding or failing BEFORE they have taken to job is beyond me.

Wonder what the reaction would have been on here when Ron Saunders was appointed.....The mind boggles.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, AVTuco said:

Has he succeeded in increasing revenues?

I have no data either way - although that is what Fox said was the case over the New Year in an interview with Pat Murphy. 

1 hour ago, Neil said:

Same here, jesus I would be desperate for even gordon the gopher to be a success...anyone, I just want to see us improving and something to live for man.  This has been the most depressing time ever as a Villa fan.

32 minutes ago, NeilS said:

I am hoping that Garde can turn things around here, he will probably fail to keep us up this season as with each passing game we are nailing another nail into our coffin. I must admit that It is getting tougher to keep faith in Remi's ability to turn the corner with each passing game that we lose. We need to start seeing some improvement before the season ends to convince me he is capable of getting something from this squad. You would hope that he would have had at least a couple of victories by this stage, so it is disappointing that we have none. If we have an upturn before the season is finished I would be tempted to give him next season to turn things around. If we continue in this vein, then my doubts of his ability will be massive.

Part of the reason why I haven't written Garde off just yet is that he has not been helped by our absolute useless defensive side of our squad. The biggest mish mash of rubbish I have ever witnessed at Villa. They are incapable of keeping it tight, and not making errors that lead to goals. That always makes it harder for the team if you know the opposition are going to get at least one goal gifted to them, sometimes even two. The defence has worried me for quite a while, and the introduction of Richards and Lescott in the summer did not filll me with confidence at that time. Those two have never convinced me fully of their defensive abilities, and we were adding them to a pretty bad bunch as proven over previous seasons. That is where we missed a trick, and should have been buying in some quality. Richards has barely played in the last three seasons, and has little experience at CB, Lescott has seen better days, and in my opinion has always been helped by having better defenders alongside him. If you have a solid base behind the team, then the forwards can play with more freedom.

Both ex England internationals in theory, some of the stuff they should know better.....proves its no easy call.

for me, it also proves no research, just, easy targets.

We need to get back to the days of quality scouts like Tony Barton.....Then you will see some difference.

or find someone like Steve Walsh at Leicester.

Edited by TRO

3 minutes ago, TRO said:

Both ex England internationals in theory, some of the stuff they should know better.....proves its no easy call.

We need to get back to the days of quality scouts like Tony Barton.....Then you will see some difference.

Are you Pat Murphy by any chance?? :-)

19 minutes ago, AVTuco said:

I posted it in OT but Air France have a 30 min TV show about Aston Villa on their inflight service at the moment  .. Garde and the French link is the selling point of this TV show .... no idea if it will lead to increased revenues , but I suppose you could say that it will lead to some awareness of the club for anyone that flies Air France  over the coming weeks \ months ... that awareness could help increase revenue I suppose

1 hour ago, Stevo985 said:

Not battered by me.

1 hour ago, Eames said:

Absolutely - recalling the 5Live feature on Monday Pat Murphy could barely contain the giggles as he was slating Fox. 

I'm not saying everything is perfect - but to criticise a club for trying to be well run and financially stable is laughable. 

Well, you guys are sounding admirably well-behaved and sober-minded. Pat Murphy (and thousands of listeners, surely) was laughing because what was said was risible. 

6 minutes ago, New_Jersey_Villa said:

Anyway of listening to this, after the fact?

I heard it on the Liveon5 podcast. It was on the Monday Night Club, I believe. Granted, I didn't like hearing Brits mocking an American, because at least he was being positive about the future, but Fox's comments seemed ill judged and badly timed. 

Edited by Marka Ragnos

45 minutes ago, TRO said:

Yes, they have both played for England, but I wouldn't say either were England regulars. Both have a handful of caps, and never really cemented their spots in the squad. Most of Richards best football was played at RB not CB, so to buy him in to be our main CB was always a massive risk way beyond my comprehension. We have not bought a very good pairing there. A decent CB pairing helps the fullbacks out, as they will always know the CB is covering them against the forward cutting inside. I get the feeling Richards doesn't really think about his positioning in the defence, he just kind of wings it and hopes for the best, a loose cannon at the back. That comes from not playing the position at the top level for a number of seasons.

Better scouting would improve the matter, I am not sure what they would have scouted with Richards as they couldn't have seen him play much in recent years. It must have been done on old memories and statistics, which is only half of the story.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, El-Reacho said:

Are you Pat Murphy by any chance?? :-)

I'm not sure I understand that....I meant easy targets to sign, not east targets to criticise.

6 hours ago, Marka Ragnos said:

I heard it on the Liveon5 podcast. It was on the Monday Night Club, I believe. Granted, I didn't like hearing Brits mocking an American, because at least he was being positive about the future, but Fox's comments seemed ill judged and badly timed. 

To be fair, the Fox interview was from about 5 weeks ago (was posted in this thread), when we weren't quite yet at meltdown stage, which Murphy neglected to mention (prick)

7 hours ago, AVTuco said:

Aston Villa chief executive Tom Fox says that the club might currently be bottom of the Premier League but they are doing well commercially.

"It's easy to look just at the table," he told BBC WM 95.6. "It's clearly not where went to be and it's not good enough. We live and die by the results.

"But I look at everything. We've generated more revenue on both our shirt and kit deals and in our ability to control costs. We're making progress there.

"Bringing (director of recruiting) Paddy Reilly back to the club before I came in was something (owner) Randy Lerner thought was important. We're developing a network of scouts which the club have never had before to look into European football markets and I was pleased that we were able to attract someone of (sporting director) Hendrik Almstadt's quality from a great club like Arsenal."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/35125158

Anyway back on topic with Garde clearly there has to be some improvement or there was no point getting him in the first place.  If we continue on less than 0.5 points per game like he has so far then serious questions need to be asked as to whether he is the right manager to lead us into next season.

Let's hope Garde is the one to make us a solid, decent outfit we can all be proud of.

6 minutes ago, mwj said:

To be fair, the Fox interview was from about 5 weeks ago (was posted in this thread), when we weren't quite yet at meltdown stage, which Murphy neglected to mention (prick)

I had sort of wondered that. That's not how it's presented at all. That seems nasty.

28 minutes ago, Brumstopdogs said:

Anyway back on topic with Garde clearly there has to be some improvement or there was no point getting him in the first place.

My view is that the current squad is beyond anyones abilty to deliver real improvement - I beleive that Garde was bought in to overhaul the whole set up and only then might we see some meaningful improvement longer term. This is made all the more difficult, maybe impossible by the fact that it we will be unable to attract real quality to the club now championship football is a certainty.

Additionally the coaches that Garde may of had set-up for the close season would be crazy to now come to us and so he will be working without his usual set-up

I understand that the longer we go winless the greater the pressure will be on Garde but I feel that this is a result of circumstances much of which are beyond his control

If he can't get a few more points on the board it will be interesting to see what approach Fox takes because if he has to sack Garde he really has to fall on his sword himself too as he would have appointed two complete plums in quick succession

A question for you guys - How many points does Garde need to get from the last 18 games to be allowed to lead the Championship campaign

4 minutes ago, VillaCas said:

A question for you guys - How many points does Garde need to get from the last 18 games to be allowed to lead the Championship campaign

IMHO, zero. His pedigree of running the academy at then managing Lyon positions him as a much better long term solution for the club than grafters like Pearson, Pulis, McCarthy or whoever is being mentioned atm

Realistically though, I think he just needs to demonstrate *some* improvement between now and the end of the season.

• Like 3

Â