The Rémi Garde thread

KJT123

2 hours ago, YLN said:

I think hate in this context is similar to that you might have for a flavour of icecream or a brand of car. I don't think many people actually hate Paul Lambert, in the way that the Jews might have hated Hitler.

220px-Godwin_point.JPG

I think hate in this context is similar to that you might have for a flavour of icecream or a brand of car. I don't think many people actually hate Paul Lambert, in the way that the Jews might have hated Hitler.

220px-Godwin_point.JPG

The Jews definitely still do hate Hitler.

11 hours ago, Richard said:

Would any of us direct shouting and insults o Lerner if we could? Including some of the things in that video ? Possibly

can we direct those things to Lerner ? No

whats the closest we can get to shouting those things at Lerner? What's the closest route? His management team and employees.

I understand the frustration.  Theirs and yours.  But if you can't prosecute the guilty party, do you take it out on others to get his attention?  If you think so, I guess we'll just disagree.

A banner in the stadium?  Fine.  E-mail to Fox?  Fine.  chanting in the stands?  Fine.  letters to editors?  fine.   But directing at one, recently appointed manager is, i think in both our opinions, misdirected, and in my opinion, not helpful.   Yours may well be different.

• Like 2

Also this (you'll need google translate though):

Unsurprisingly, it is Olympique Lyonnais who has the most grown players. Of the 33 players in the squad, 23 are from its training center, ranking first in 2013-2014. All attackers (Lacazette, Labidi, N'Jie, Benzia and Yattara) and guards (Lopes, Frick, and Gorgelin Mocio) made from it. 

http://www.lequipe.fr/Football/Actualites/L-ol-roi-de-la-formation/516393

The same academy Remi was in charge of for a few years before becoming manager

On 4 January 2016 at 14:00, DS Villa said:

First time poster, so Hello to all.

For what it's worth, I think we should stick with Garde, dont think he has done anything to warrant getting sacked now, need to give him time and see what he can do with his own players

We need to start preparing for life in the Championship unfortunately. I had hope up to the Sunderland game, now I cant see any way back.

What hurts the most is the manner in which we will go down, with no fight or spirit. Sad times

Welcome to the house of fun......:)

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Neil said:

Not if you constantly churn out players you can sell for a lot more than you've paid for them, and then replace with of suitable quality.

If you've nothing left to sell, then the net spend...or external investment is everything.

Certainly a fundamental thing any sensible analyst would do is to compare our net spend vs. other teams over a sustained period (while looking at other measures to enhance the understanding)

In terms of Remi IMO there have been some positives and negatives.

One of the main positives for me is that he doesn't seem afraid to drop under performing players and with our team there is plenty to choose from! Also, I hope going forward we'll see more of the attacking intent that we had vs Sunderland (swapping Ayew and Traore for Grealish and Gestede) and we'll cause other teams problems. He wants to improve fitness which seems a no brainer given we were (probably still are) doing the least amount of running of any team in the league.  

On the negative side the results have been woeful and overall worse than the previous manager had (across his total tenure) and we still look very weak at the back. He will clearly need to do better in both of the areas.

For me Garde will need to have shown by the end of this season that he has improved the side and given us a platform to build on for the promotion push next season for me to back him as our manager for the championship campaign.

Keeping fingers crossed he sets us out in the right manor for the remainder of the season and OK we are getting relegated but let's go down fighting.

Edited by Brumstopdogs

11 hours ago, Brumstopdogs said:

For me Garde will need to have shown by the end of this season that he has improved the side and given us a platform to build on for the promotion push next season for me to back him as our manager for the championship campaign.

I feel like I am making excuses for Garde which is not my intention however, I'm not sure that 'improving the side' is now as straightforward as it might sound. At the moment the squad completely lacks shape and balance and in normal circumstances I would have expected Garde to bring in three or four quality players to improve this.  In the position we are in we will be unable to attract quality

If Remy and one or two other loanees appear in the next few weeks then it would signal that the powers that be are still vainly trying to hang on to our PL status but it is highly possible that we might instead chose to completely write this season off now (lol) and begin shedding players who will not join us in the championship, buying half a dozen bruisers who will give us a little steel next season and blooding a few of our youngsters.  In these circumstances it would seem unlikely that we would improve in the short term.

This approach may well produce a side with better balance but equally it could be that a group of current misfits, championship quality buys and youngsters still struggle to immediately catch fire in the PL and therefore it will be difficult to assess if Garde is the right man for a Championship campaign. 

For what it's worth I think that Fox will stick with Garde now through into next season - any other scenario would mean that Fox would have to resign himself having appointed two duds in 12 months and his sense of self-preservation will stop him doing that IMO

Hard to make sense of it - I wish it was May already and this torture would just stop

Edited by VillaCas
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, VillaCas said:

I feel like I am making excuses for Garde which is not my intention however, I'm not sure that 'improving the side' is now as straightforward as it might sound. At the moment the squad completely lacks shape and balance and in normal circumstances I would have expected Garde to bring in three or four quality players to improve this.  In the position we are in we will be unable to attract quality

If Remy and one or two other loanees appear in the next few weeks then it would signal that the powers that be are still vainly trying to hang on to our PL status but it is highly possible that we might instead chose to completely write this season off now (lol) and begin shedding players who will not join us in the championship, buying half a dozen bruisers who will give us a little steel next season and blooding a few of our youngsters.  In these circumstances it would seem unlikely that we would improve in the short term.

This approach may well produce a side with better balance but equally it could be that a group of current misfits, championship quality buys and youngsters still struggle to immediately catch fire in the PL and therefore it will be difficult to assess if Garde is the right man for a Championship campaign. 

For what it's worth I think that Fox will stick with Garde now through into next season - any other scenario would mean that Fox would have to resign himself having appointed two duds in 12 months and his sense of self-preservation will stop him doing that IMO

Hard to make sense of it - I wish it was May already and this torture would just stop

I agree with all this, especially the last paragraph. Whatever you think about our current board and the direction that they are taking, I think Remi is a big part of their plans. I can't see him going anywhere. 

1 hour ago, VillaCas said:

good post, one I share.

I am desperate for Garde to be a success.....The problem for us is knowing what is going on at BMH

It may well be he is working the oracle on the training ground and doing everything humanly possible.....the burning question is, how long does that take to manifest itself on the pitch on match day?.....I see so many individual errors from our team and I have seen them under successive managers,is it possible to to get this motley crew to eradicate them or will it take surgery.

For me, There are STILL more questions than answers.

19 hours ago, New_Jersey_Villa said:

If we'd spent more we might be no better off anyway. Considering some of the poor choices that were made on players with the money we did spend, who's to say that the players signed if extra money were made available would be any good either?

I'm not trying to be disrespectful to anyone, but I think that is a comment very few can grasp.

FWIW I still thinks that is a biggest single problem at the club.

Ps its like its all done on "football manager" with little prior research in to the players character.

Edited by TRO

2 hours ago, VillaCas said:

I'm going to go further and say the guy HAS to improve what we have now, and we MUST improve before the end of this season or the manager has been a complete failure.

This team of new players we have now cost, as people point out, a lot of money - money we got from selling Benteke.  We will not have that chance to spend this kind of money again.

On individual merits, plenty of the players that came in have shown some individual signs that they can play well.  Jordan Ayew, touted our best player...Jordan Amavi (injured of course) has shown great signs.  Vertout and Adama, both showing they can do things and signs that say they most certainly can improve from where they are now.

We will not be able to spend this kind of money again, and we won't get any players with similar prospects - so if he completely fails to organise them playing better before the end of the season than that spells huge trouble.

"Improving the side" should be quite straight forward, and a good manager/coach would improve this side before the season is out.  If Remi can't do it, time for the bin.

I expect, and believe, that he will improve this team even if he's shown no signs of it till now.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, TRO said:

I am desperate for Garde to be a success.....The problem for us is knowing what is going on at BMH

Same here, jesus I would be desperate for even gordon the gopher to be a success...anyone, I just want to see us improving and something to live for man.  This has been the most depressing time ever as a Villa fan.

21 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

I'm not debating who's fault it is, whether we COULD have spent more or any of that.

We haven't spent enough. Our net spend is something like £6m per season on average.

That is not enough to stay in the Premier League. If we can't spend any more because of FFP then we need to find a solution to that as we're not spending enough.

Like increasing commercial revenue for example? You know? That thing Tom Fox has been absolutely battered for talking about?

2 hours ago, VillaCas said:

I agree Fox needs to be sacked if Garde flops again. I mean even the no direction blosers have got their management appointments right. us on the other hand have imbeciles that have no idea or experience to be in charge of our club

4 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Not battered by me.

Absolutely - recalling the 5Live feature on Monday Pat Murphy could barely contain the giggles as he was slating Fox. 

I'm not saying everything is perfect - but to criticise a club for trying to be well run and financially stable is laughable. 

2 minutes ago, Eames said:

Absolutely - recalling the 5Live feature on Monday Pat Murphy could barely contain the giggles as he was slating Fox. 

Pat Murphy is an absolute prick... I think if he'd mentioned Nigel Pearson's name once more on Monday night he would have creamed his pants

I am hoping that Garde can turn things around here, he will probably fail to keep us up this season as with each passing game we are nailing another nail into our coffin. I must admit that It is getting tougher to keep faith in Remi's ability to turn the corner with each passing game that we lose. We need to start seeing some improvement before the season ends to convince me he is capable of getting something from this squad. You would hope that he would have had at least a couple of victories by this stage, so it is disappointing that we have none. If we have an upturn before the season is finished I would be tempted to give him next season to turn things around. If we continue in this vein, then my doubts of his ability will be massive.

Part of the reason why I haven't written Garde off just yet is that he has not been helped by our absolute useless defensive side of our squad. The biggest mish mash of rubbish I have ever witnessed at Villa. They are incapable of keeping it tight, and not making errors that lead to goals. That always makes it harder for the team if you know the opposition are going to get at least one goal gifted to them, sometimes even two. The defence has worried me for quite a while, and the introduction of Richards and Lescott in the summer did not filll me with confidence at that time. Those two have never convinced me fully of their defensive abilities, and we were adding them to a pretty bad bunch as proven over previous seasons. That is where we missed a trick, and should have been buying in some quality. Richards has barely played in the last three seasons, and has little experience at CB, Lescott has seen better days, and in my opinion has always been helped by having better defenders alongside him. If you have a solid base behind the team, then the forwards can play with more freedom.

On 1/5/2016 at 17:14, New_Jersey_Villa said:

If we'd spent more we might be no better off anyway. Considering some of the poor choices that were made on players with the money we did spend, who's to say that the players signed if extra money were made available would be any good either?

I'm not trying to be disrespectful to anyone, but I think that is a comment very few can grasp.

FWIW I still think that is a biggest single problem at the club.

Edited by TRO

Â