The Rémi Garde thread

KJT123

What I would give for a bumpy ride when it comes to Villa right now. That would imply some ups as well as downs.

I think the last 4/5 years was the bumpy ride. As painful as a lot of it was it was incredibly exciting at times (not the football obviously but the nerve jangling results we achieved to claw our way to safety).

Right now the bumpy ride has finished and we really drove off a cliff in the summer. Not sure we knew it at the time but as we've failed to move forward we have started to look out the window and are now just slowly plummeting towards the inevitable.

Maybe after we hit the sea it will be a bumby ride! Assuming I survive the landing I'll look forward to that.

Your mixing up bumpy with rollercoaster - our bumpy ride is just downhill so far.  IMO it will take 5 years to get back to mid-table mediocraty (hopefully)

Calls to replace the current manager with Neil Warnock after 9 games show me that many won't have the patience (or interlect) for the journey

I haven't lost faith in Garde yet, though I can understand why some have.

He needs a group of players that want to play for him as this lot don't seem to be.

That's his job though isn't it? To get players to play for him, it's the same with all managers and in the top flight they get millions of pounds to do it. Barely anybody looks remotely interested in playing for Garde which tells me he is doing something wrong

Part of the managers job is to motivate yes, but the impression I get is that Garde is unpopular in the dressing room because he isn't Sherwood.

He demands players train harder, remain organised on the pitch and he isn't pally pally with them.

Sherwood had a good rapport with the players because he was one of the lads, and put his arm around them.

Unsurprisingly being one of the lads lifted the dressing room and had a positive short term impact upon results.

Long term it doesn't work... Garde has a bit of steel about him and demands discipline from his players. Something that the spoilt, prima donna, used to getting their own way footballers that are littered throughout our squad do not like. They look as though they are sulking about it via their performances.

Unfortunately these type of players seem to be the most influential in the dressing room. Micah being one, marauding around the pitch when I very much suspect Garde says 'stay in possistion as you are playing centre back' in a French accent.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, VillaCas said:

Your mixing up bumpy with rollercoaster - our bumpy ride is just downhill so far.  IMO it will take 5 years to get back to mid-table mediocraty (hopefully)

Calls to replace the current manager with Neil Warnock after 9 games show me that many won't have the patience (or interlect) for the journey

This is gold

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, Jareth said:

When Garde gets his backroom staff in we'll get better.

If he can't improve anything as the manager now, what makes you think changing backroom staff is going to help?  Unless the backroom staff are going to be taking over the managerment...

1 minute ago, Neil said:

If he can't improve anything as the manager now, what makes you think changing backroom staff is going to help?  Unless the backroom staff are going to be taking over the managerment...

Think Garde said himself recently that he has been working with the players directly, when he usually let's his coaches do that - in the absence of appointing a no.2 etc. So may be when Basticle and that other fella gets on board we'll see some results....

Just now, Jareth said:

Think Garde said himself recently that he has been working with the players directly, when he usually let's his coaches do that - in the absence of appointing a no.2 etc. So may be when Basticle and that other fella gets on board we'll see some results....

So he's incapable of demonstrating any improvement in our team by working with our players directly, but he'll improve them by mediating through someone else?

Honestly, I'm failing to see how this works.

• Like 2

I think the idea that MOST of our players don't look interested in playing for him is absolute bollocks, frankly. 

I'm not suggesting he's doing a good job or that their confidence isn't shot to absolute shittery, but I don't see this same "lack of effort" as others do. 

• Like 4

28 minutes ago, Zatman said:

If I was Garde I would bring in McLeish as a consultant on how to organise a defence for a start

Honestly not sure if you're joking or not?

McLeish teams didn't concede as many goals, because the whole team parked the bus and we had zero attacking threat.

34 minutes ago, Zatman said:

If I was Garde I would bring in McLeish as a consultant on how to organise a defence for a start

Lol because he could do with earning some brownie points amongst the fan base.

4 minutes ago, jon_c said:

Honestly not sure if you're joking or not?

McLeish teams didn't concede as many goals, because the whole team parked the bus and we had zero attacking threat.

McLeish only parked the bus at the end when he ran out of players. Not saying the football was slick but we actually played decent football at the start under him and when he could he always played 2 strikers and a winger or Ireland

1 minute ago, Zatman said:

McLeish only parked the bus at the end when he ran out of players. Not saying the football was slick but we actually played decent football at the start under him and when he could he always played 2 strikers and a winger or Ireland

I know this is VT so I shouldn't be surprised but this is, without doubt, the most revisionist post I've ever read on here. We drew 6 of our first 7 games. 

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Zatman said:

I know this is VT so I shouldn't be surprised but this is, without doubt, the most revisionist post I've ever read on here. We drew 6 of our first 7 games. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

oh for that form now

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

won 2 and drew 5 actually ;)

played good football for first 10 games until we got to Tottenham and then it collapsed

Â