The VillaTalk Good Pub Guide

Xela

1 minute ago, Shropshire Lad said:

Fair enough. I genuinely can't think of a decent pub to get food in Wolverhampton (that isn't a curry house). If it was me, I'd try either the blue brick or maybe the sunbeam which is part of the hungry horse chain.

If you've got any say in where the rest of the flock go on the night itself, the Cuban bar is ok and Dog & Doublet is a good, lively place to end the night.

Yes i'd seen Sunbeam, so might try there. Thanks!

I think we'll go to Bohemian for the actual night out. We've been there before. it's alright. I'll look into the Dog & Doublet and the Cuban Bar and see if I get any say

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Yes i'd seen Sunbeam, so might try there. Thanks!

I think we'll go to Bohemian for the actual night out. We've been there before. it's alright. I'll look into the Dog & Doublet and the Cuban Bar and see if I get any say

Just looked up the bohemian, not seen it before. Having now seen it, I wouldn't put up too much of a fight for the Cuban, bohemian looks much better. Enjoy!

• Like 1

21 hours ago, choffer said:

Yep. Heard good things but never actually been to the Eagle. 

Excellent. My Marylebone sojourn is looking productive. Any decent cafes/food places to grab a late breakfast/brunch? 

• 2 months later...
On 24/08/2017 at 21:02, Shropshire Lad said:

Can anyone recommend some good pubs in Chester please?

Having a night out there later this year, just having an early look now in preparation, it's likely to be a big pub crawl. 

I've researched a few pubs but wanted to see if anyone has any first hand knowledge on any. Cheers.

Following the above night out in Chester, I’d recommend The Ship Inn in Chester (first picture). There were other good pubs, but as it was the nearer the start of the crawl it’s an easier one to remember. Kind of shabby chic, dog friendly.

Simply as it’s an interesting building which hopefully the second picture shows, The Watergates is another I’d suggest stopping by for one. A sports pub, if you want to feel like you’re drinking in a crypt this is a place I’d recommend.

A52F2EC1-5251-46AA-BB1C-17F3CA510AC4.jpeg

341C3EA7-29DA-460C-BE9B-811C14D270E3.jpeg

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

In Salford earlier today (that's a story for another thread)

Popped in here and had a couple. Fantastic selection of ales. 

1059a.jpeg

• Like 2

• 2 months later...

Hare and Hounds, Kings Heath

Cracking pub. Mate was playing a gig there last night and was a great laugh. Loads of students and a really good atmosphere. 

Some cracking sights as well ;)

Hare-Hounds-Kings-Heath.jpghare-and-hounds4-1200x799-optimised.jpg

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Xela said:

Cracking pub. Mate was playing a gig there last night and was a great laugh. Loads of students and a really good atmosphere. 

They put on a lot of country gigs there but for me from Stafford its a ballache to get to. 

17 hours ago, Xela said:

My local growing up. I remember before it had the make over as well. Very nice pub. 

11 minutes ago, AVFC_Hitz said:

My local growing up. I remember before it had the make over as well. Very nice pub. 

Some cracking boozers around Moseley and Kings Heath. It's a different atmosphere that side of the city to where I am from (north Brum). You just don't get the same buzz in areas around here 

57 minutes ago, Xela said:

Some cracking boozers around Moseley and Kings Heath. It's a different atmosphere that side of the city to where I am from (north Brum). You just don't get the same buzz in areas around here 

When I was young my mom used to take me to the Prince of Wales long before it was the pub it was now. The Fighting Cocks too. Two examples of pubs changing for the better they were right shit holes.

Have been for a meal here tonight, The Woodbridge Inn in Coalport by Ironbridge.

Lovely building from around the late 18th century, nice views overlooking the Severn. Good size terrace, so probably great in the summer.

Fairly spacious but somehow retaining a cosy feel, there’s a dedicated restaurant section but there are loads of nook and cranny areas to settle down in. Cask ales, very good food. If you’re in the area - it’s a little bit of effort to get to - it’s worth investigating.

D81F6C9D-AC50-4B4E-8A9B-BBBADF2B53FE.jpeg.55677434664a9f41120bec2d5aeda2fc.jpeg

77313D17-943B-4082-87F3-B308D3B3B599.jpeg

• Like 4

17 hours ago, Shropshire Lad said:

Have been for a meal here tonight, The Woodbridge Inn in Coalport by Ironbridge.

Lovely building from around the late 18th century, nice views overlooking the Severn. Good size terrace, so probably great in the summer.

Fairly spacious but somehow retaining a cosy feel, there’s a dedicated restaurant section but there are loads of nook and cranny areas to settle down in. Cask ales, very good food. If you’re in the area - it’s a little bit of effort to get to - it’s worth investigating.

D81F6C9D-AC50-4B4E-8A9B-BBBADF2B53FE.jpeg.55677434664a9f41120bec2d5aeda2fc.jpeg

77313D17-943B-4082-87F3-B308D3B3B599.jpeg

Quite a long time ago I used to go there regularly, especially in the summertime, it used to sell Courage Directors, which was OK  and also the next pub along that way called the Black Swan, whioch sold better beer but didn't have the same massive beergarden.

Glad it's still there and still good.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, blandy said:

Quite a long time ago I used to go there regularly, especially in the summertime, it used to sell Courage Directors, which was OK  and also the next pub along that way called the Black Swan, whioch sold better beer but didn't have the same massive beergarden.

Glad it's still there and still good.

Yeah the Black Swan is still there, although I haven’t been in that one (yet).

There are a fair few pubs in that area, I’d love to do a pub crawl around there but they’re are all fair old walk from each other and the roads aren’t great for getting from one to the other really.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Shropshire Lad said:

Yeah the Black Swan is still there, although I haven’t been in that one (yet).

There are a fair few pubs in that area, I’d love to do a pub crawl around there but they’re are all fair old walk from each other and the roads aren’t great for getting from one to the other really.

The food at the Shakespeare over the road from the Woodbridge is really nice. Also the beer at the Half Moon Inn is good, they've normally got Ludlow Gold on which is one of my favourites. 

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Nath182 said:

The food at the Shakespeare over the road from the Woodbridge is really nice. Also the beer at the Half Moon Inn is good, they've normally got Ludlow Gold on which is one of my favourites. 

Yep been to the Shakespeare a few times, very nice and you certainly get your money’s worth.

The half moon is on my to do list :thumb:

I did a mini pub crawl ON Friday and visited the St Paul's House Hotel bar which used to be The Ropewalk in St Paul's Square. 

The round in there was almost double what it was in The Queens Arms in Newhall Street for exactly the same drinks. Was pleased to see some Butty Bach when I expected no ale at all.  

It's nice enough for a trendyish bar and certainly a million miles better than The Ropewalk but it's pretty pricy. I felt much more at home when we moved to The Actress and Bishop despite being 20 years older than the next youngest person in there. 

Edited by sidcow

My nan ran a pub up in Ironbridge in the late 60's early 70's, The Crown. It was up on Hodge Bower. Its been one of those pubs I should have visited but laziness always kept me down at the White Hart and The Golden Ball.

• Like 1

Â