The banker loving, baby-eating Tory party thread (regenerated)

blandy

46 minutes ago, markavfc40 said:

Sunaks podium for this evenings press conference. Some will sadly lap it up and it is certainly where the Tories want the focus to be, even though they have created many of the immigration issues, they would rather people focus on that than the multitude of other things they have decimated/destroyed.

1 hour ago, markavfc40 said:

Sunaks podium for this evenings press conference. Some will sadly lap it up and it is certainly where the Tories want the focus to be, even though they have created many of the immigration issues, they would rather people focus on that than the multitude of other things they have decimated/destroyed.

On the news just now they mentioned net migration to the UK was over 500,000 in 2022 (the highest on record).

People arriving on boats, whilst also record breaking, make up less than 10% of that total.

It feels a lot like Trump and his wall.

Edited by Genie
  • Like 1

Suella Braverman earlier told MPs she was "confident" the bill is compatible with international law

The beeb

To me, that’s not the same as saying it IS compatible, so on that basis I assume they know it isn’t. 

• Like 1

Just now, Amsterdam_Neil_D said:

Feels like a Hail Mary type thing from the Tories. 

This is their only hope.

Every single person with a full brain can see it won’t work. The result is going to be even more people in hotels that aren’t allowed to legally stay, but also have nowhere to be sent. 

If anything I assume staying in a hotel for several years getting daily spending money and not needing to work is more attractive than being granted asylum and told to go and get a job. 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Genie said:

Suella Braverman earlier told MPs she was "confident" the bill is compatible with international law

The beeb

To me, that’s not the same as saying it IS compatible, so on that basis I assume they know it isn’t. 

She worded it very differently on the first page of the bill as published. Nah there's no issues here honest. Wanna buy a watch?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, bickster said:

She worded it very differently on the first page of the bill as published. Nah there's no issues here honest. Wanna buy a watch?

How can they set sail (pun intended) on a journey that is so certain to fail?

16 minutes ago, Genie said:

How can they set sail (pun intended) on a journey that is so certain to fail?

Because best case scenario they get it through, worst case scenario they get to muddy the waters banging on about sovereignty and foreign courts.

• Sad 1

10 minutes ago, bickster said:

1) Desperate times

2) They think people won't notice

3) Desperate times

I would say that your political antennae are as sharp as a bell (to mix many metaphors), but I think you've got this one wrong. 

There aren't votes to be won here just by looking like you're trying to do something, when you've got Farage and his cronies out at Dover pointing at all the boats that are still arriving in spite of your shouty promises to fix it. They've done looking like you're trying for two years and (some) people are more angry than ever. 

If (when) it doesn't work, the third or so of the country who might still conceivably vote Tory, also the only group that really feels this is a crucial issue, become *less* likely to vote for them because they're not delivering any results on the thing they care about.

This isn't long term, 4D chess-style political strategy. This is dealing with the fact that you're taking heavy enemy fire by taking a pin out of your hand grenade and shoving it up your own arse.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Genie said:

Every single person with a full brain can see it won’t work. The result is going to be even more people in hotels that aren’t allowed to legally stay, but also have nowhere to be sent. 

If anything I assume staying in a hotel for several years getting daily spending money and not needing to work is more attractive than being granted asylum and told to go and get a job. 

Careful, your, 'keep on the right side of  VT men of the people'' cover nearly slipped just then. I just wish others would say what they really feel.

1 hour ago, Genie said:

I’d love to see a Venn diagram that illustrates the people that think asylum seekers are living their best life staying in a hotel and not working and the people that felt their hooman rights were being taken away when covid meant they had to stay in prison on the weekend. By prison, I obviously mean the living room, with SkySports and something nice from Ocado.

• Like 4

10 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

I’d love to see a Venn diagram that illustrates the people that think asylum seekers are living their best life staying in a hotel and not working and the people that felt their hooman rights were being taken away when covid meant they had to stay in prison on the weekend. By prison, I obviously mean the living room, with SkySports and something nice from Ocado.

If you’re a wannabe asylum seeker from Albania or Syria and heard the news that the UK are changing the law in the way they are I’m not sure it would put many/any off. 

They know the Rwanda thing ain’t gonna happen so worst case, English hotel being fed and watered. The throbbers don’t like the fact that forriners target the UK cos we’re a soft touch and give them everything for free… so we’ll put them up in hotels for years in end. 

I wouldn’t swap what I have for it, but I don’t think it’s the deterrent the Tories are trying to sell it as.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

Coming over on a blow up dingy, apparently fleeing persecution. Might not seem much to us, but it must be like living in a penthouse suite with room service to them. They have hardly come from a 3 bed semi with Netflix.

Â