The banker loving, baby-eating Tory party thread (regenerated)

blandy

I’m surprised that the PM did a speech to the nation outside number 10 and the BBC website didn’t even report it, what’s that all about?

(If they did they buried it somewhere away from the homepage).

28 minutes ago, Genie said:

I’m surprised that the PM did a speech to the nation outside number 10 and the BBC website didn’t even report it, what’s that all about?

(If they did they buried it somewhere away from the homepage).

I'm confused by this, it was on the BBC homepage all evening last night (on the right rather than as the feature story on the left, but right there as maybe number three story, and it had a 'live' thing going on that updated as the speech happened and for a short while afterward). There's still an opinion piece about it now, on the homepage, one small scroll down, which is probably about right given that he didn't actually say anything of any importance.

5 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

I'm confused by this, it was on the BBC homepage all evening last night (on the right rather than as the feature story on the left, but right there as maybe number three story, and it had a 'live' thing going on that updated as the speech happened and for a short while afterward). There's still an opinion piece about it now, on the homepage, one small scroll down, which is probably about right given that he didn't actually say anything of any importance.

Indeed. I even got an alert about it as 'breaking news' from the BBC app. 

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

I checked an hour after it was being talked about on here and there was nothing. Checked later, nothing.

Checked this morning, nothing.

I checked on SkyNews last night and it was top story.

Edited by Genie

20 minutes ago, Genie said:

I checked an hour after it was being talked about on here and there was nothing. Checked later, nothing.

I checked when I heard it was happening and it was there, checked after I came back from a meal out and it was there, and updated. Checked just now and the opinion piece about it is still there.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-68455310

PM's speech shows impact of Israel-Gaza war on UK politics

It's weird - the BBC home page doesn't algorithm stuff in or out of view does it - it's the same for all of us?

Anyways, it was on the BBC landing page for news, front and centre for all of yesterday evening on my BBC.

13 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

I checked when I heard it was happening and it was there, checked after I came back from a meal out and it was there, and updated. Checked just now and the opinion piece about it is still there.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-68455310

It's weird - the BBC home page doesn't algorithm stuff in or out of view does it - it's the same for all of us?

Anyways, it was on the BBC landing page for news, front and centre for all of yesterday evening on my BBC.

I saw people talking about it in here and it said 1 hour ago. I went to the BBC homepage and there was nothing in the top section of stories which surprised me. 

Sky news had it as top story at the same time.

Weird.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, HKP90 said:

Who voted for that total assclown Galloway? 

I would've, had I lived in Rochdale. TBH I'd vote for almost anybody whose main campaigning thrust was 'stop the Israeli genocide'. It's pretty much a single issue win.  

Yes, I know The double G is an arsehole. But I'd still have voted for him on the above basis. 

On 02/03/2024 at 14:05, Jon said:

I would've, had I lived in Rochdale. TBH I'd vote for almost anybody whose main campaigning thrust was 'stop the Israeli genocide'. It's pretty much a single issue win.  

Yes, I know The double G is an arsehole. But I'd still have voted for him on the above basis. 

LibDems have a ceasefire as their policy and were campaigning as such in Rochdale, still say you’d have voted for the terrorist / mass murderer sympathiser / fund raiser / propagandist / sycophant? 

Galloway is part of the problem not the solution

• Like 1

The country doesn't have a pot to piss in. Public services falling apart, but he's going to cut taxes isn't he. 

3 minutes ago, sidcow said:

The country doesn't have a pot to piss in. Public services falling apart, but he's going to cut taxes isn't he. 

“In a responsible way”.

To anyone going on holiday in the next few weeks, I’d buy my currency now.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

Not going to be his problem is it? They're just salting the earth now.

Indeed. No matter what they will not win the next election. It's all sabotage for the next government now! 

Hunt keeps saying that the best performing economies are lower tax economies, but I assume the difference is they don’t have crumbling public services like we do.

Disaster capitalists on standby for the announcement.

43 minutes ago, ml1dch said:

I wonder if that factors in the inevitable fall out from unfunded tax cuts? Maybe that is still to come.

On 02/03/2024 at 12:20, bickster said:

Tbh, it’s hardly a story. Sunak makes speech at podium outside No 10 and waffles shite about unspecified threats.

What got me was when he started talking about people undermining democracy. I don't think the guy who's not one a general election and lost his own parties internal leadership election but still ended up as leader by default because the person he lost to is batshit crazy can talk about respecting a democractic process.

4 minutes ago, desensitized43 said:

What got me was when he started talking about people undermining democracy. I don't think the guy who's not one a general election and lost his own parties internal leadership election but still ended up as leader by default because the person he lost to is batshit crazy can talk about respecting a democractic process.

It’s the lowest form of attack. I remember vote leave were constantly going on about democracy being under attack and votes being rigged. Then of course it’s a common theme for the MAGA idiots too.

I think at this point people are numb to that “threat”. If a working democracy serves up 14 years of Tory chaos people will probably welcome a bit of the alternative.

1 minute ago, desensitized43 said:

I don't think that particular example undermines democracy as currently practiced by the UK. You or I might think it wrong but that's a different matter, we'd need to change our democratic system for it to be wrong

But there are plenty of examples where the Tory party can be said to have undermined democracy, lying to the queen when proroguing parliament, the constant lies and misleading of the house etc

• Like 1

Â