The banker loving, baby-eating Tory party thread (regenerated)

blandy

11 minutes ago, bickster said:

I think it's time we held a sweepstake on the number of Tory MPs at the next election

The upper limit will be 100

I was pissing about with the Electoral Calculus predictor and it's actually possible given a few percentage points either way that the LibDems might actually benefit at the next election from FPTP which is hilarious. If the Tories fall to 20% vote share and the Libdems rise to 14.5%, The LibDems could be the opposition

Its not outside the realms of possibility

The system helps the 2 main paries big time.  Labour were useless last time and still won over 200 seats. In 97 the Tories still ended up with 165 seats.

5 minutes ago, The Fun Factory said:

The system helps the 2 main paries big time.  Labour were useless last time and still won over 200 seats. In 97 the Tories still ended up with 165 seats.

I'm not sure what your point is?

1 hour ago, ml1dch said:

I feel that you are over-estimating the chances of Tory MPs voting with their conscience instead of their personal and party interest. 

Agree, but I do think it will be better for them to oppose the plan, certainly in its current state. Beforehand, they could get behind it as it was relatively benign and kept other parts of the party content. In its revised state I think it will lose a lot more of the "central" vote that side of the party relies on and those votes will likely go to the Lib Dems or in some instances will go to Labour. 

I therefore think that, for their own personal political interest, it would be better to go against the policy now rather than support it. If they continue down this path, I genuinely can see the Tories going down to double digits of MPs. 

21 minutes ago, The Fun Factory said:

You also need to look though at the changing sands of seats - it's very easy to get caught up in the results of elections and not see the trends underneath. 

Example - 2017 is broadly seen as a terrible election for the Tories, but May increased the Tory vote by 2m from the 2015 result, to lose thirteen seats. But those extra votes turned a load of safe Labour seats into marginals. In 2019, Johnson only added 300,000 votes to May's 2017 total, to gain forty eight seats - nearly all them the ones that May had softened up two years earlier.

What else happened in 2019? The Lib Dems went from twelve seats to eleven and Jo Swinson lost her seat. But in the process, they added over a million votes to their 2017 total which was the most extra votes that any party gained by a mile in that election. And the majority of those went into turning safe Tory seats into Tory / Lib Dem marginals in 2024.

If Starmer gets the stonking majority that looks likely at the moment, he's arguably got Jo Swinson to thank more than anybody on his own side. 

Edited by ml1dch

So Sunak has done a press conference, I guess an attempt to not look asleep at the wheel.

He said that the ECHR might still challenge, but also that he wouldn’t let foreign courts to block flights

So is he saying he will reject/ignore an ECHR ruling? He certainly doesn’t have the balls for that.

35 minutes ago, bickster said:

I think it's time we held a sweepstake on the number of Tory MPs at the next election

The upper limit will be 100

I was pissing about with the Electoral Calculus predictor and it's actually possible given a few percentage points either way that the LibDems might actually benefit at the next election from FPTP which is hilarious. If the Tories fall to 20% vote share and the Libdems rise to 14.5%, The LibDems could be the opposition

Its not outside the realms of possibility

I'm saying 69, because, well, it would be pretty funny but I think Sunak is providing more and more evidence how incompetent he actually is. 

I also think tatical voting will have a huge impact this election as the distain is more "anyone than Tory". 

33 minutes ago, cyrusr said:

I'm saying 69, because, well, it would be pretty funny but I think Sunak is providing more and more evidence how incompetent he actually is. 

I also think tatical voting will have a huge impact this election as the distain is more "anyone than Tory". 

Yes, I'm absolutely convinced the LibDems numbers are currently lower in the polls than they will be come the election. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, The Fun Factory said:

Someone mentioned they may only get 100 MP's in the next election. They will probably get at least 150-200 due to the electoral system, no matter how mad they are currently.

No, I think you're wildly wrong with that. As it currently stands they are heading for an unprecedented defeat, their largest ever by some considerable margin. They will have the least number of MPs since the introduction of the current parliamentary system with the introduction of the Representation of the People Act in 1918. The current nadir for Tory MPs is 165 which was from 1997. The Tories achieved 30.7% of the vote, their current polling is way below that. There are MRP polls from as far back as August that predict on a granular level constituency by constituency their share of the seats being 64. They haven't improved in the standings since then.

Oh and if anyone fancies a flutter...

SkyBet are offering 7/1 currently for the Tories to win less than 100 seats

14/1 for Labour to be over 500

10/3 on the LibDems winning over 60 seats

I'm not sure they've done their maths because if the LibDems win over 60 seats, I'd say it was nailed on that the Tories win under 100

5 minutes ago, bickster said:

I'm not sure they've done their maths because if the LibDems win over 60 seats, I'd say it was nailed on that the Tories win under 100

They are separate bets. 

19 minutes ago, bickster said:

How about a double with Villa to win the league?  :)

• Haha 2

12 minutes ago, Genie said:

They are separate bets. 

What I'm saying is if the LibDems get 60 seats, its pretty nailed on that the Tories will be under 100, they are effectively the same outcome, so don't take the odds on the LibDem seats take the odds on the Tory Seats

36 minutes ago, bickster said:

What I'm saying is if the LibDems get 60 seats, its pretty nailed on that the Tories will be under 100, they are effectively the same outcome, so don't take the odds on the LibDem seats take the odds on the Tory Seats

Or, if you fancy LibDems to get 60+ have it as a double with the Tories getting <100 for extra value! Good idea.

Edited by Genie

Â