The banker loving, baby-eating Tory party thread (regenerated)

blandy

2 hours ago, mjmooney said:

Define  'food waste'. Will it need to be sorted (cooked, uncooked, vegetable, meat, etc.) ? 

Will it be made into compost? If so, will this be provided free for householders? 

We already compost all our uncooked vegetable matter. 

What's this you've got, some kind of woke vegan bin?

This is exactly what we've been warned about.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, mjmooney said:

Define  'food waste'. Will it need to be sorted (cooked, uncooked, vegetable, meat, etc.) ? 

Will it be made into compost? If so, will this be provided free for householders? 

We already compost all our uncooked vegetable matter. 

The food waste bins are daft. They're small, lidded, rectangular receptacles for scraping food off your plate, for example, into. They just go mouldy and fester and are unhygenic in the extreme.

Composting uncooked veg and garden matter is different - that's great, but these food bins are a stupid idea.

• Like 4

18 minutes ago, blandy said:

The food waste bins are daft. They're small, lidded, rectangular receptacles for scraping food off your plate, for example, into. They just go mouldy and fester and are unhygenic in the extreme.

Composting uncooked veg and garden matter is different - that's great, but these food bins are a stupid idea.

This is what I've always thought when I've seen them and dreaded their arrival. 

Why so bloody small? 

59 minutes ago, blandy said:

Out of curiosity, what would you do with it?

We have the small green non home composting food waste bin (had them here about maybe 10 years?) and I can’t think that we’ve ever had a problem even in the hottest summer weeks.

2 hours ago, chrisp65 said:

Out of curiosity, what would you do with it?

We have the small green non home composting food waste bin (had them here about maybe 10 years?) and I can’t think that we’ve ever had a problem even in the hottest summer weeks.

A composting bin for food scraps would be ok, but just putting cooked food waste into a plastic bin to be emptied every 2 weeks is just a recipe for mould, disease and stench.

We don’t have the food bins here, but when my Mom was alive she had one and it was…as described. And the thing is as well, if it’s in the kitchen, then the house warmth speeds up the mould and if it’s outside then in summer, ditto and in winter it’s too small and light not to get blown over. And obviously you have to take your plates outside to scrape them into the bin.

I’m all for composting, reusing, recycling, cutting down on waste, but these bins are crap  

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, blandy said:

A composting bin for food scraps would be ok, but just putting cooked food waste into a plastic bin to be emptied every 2 weeks is just a recipe for mould, disease and stench.

We don’t have the food bins here, but when my Mom was alive she had one and it was…as described. And the thing is as well, if it’s in the kitchen, then the house warmth speeds up the mould and if it’s outside then in summer, ditto and in winter it’s too small and light not to get blown over. And obviously you have to take your plates outside to scrape them into the bin.

I’m all for composting, reusing, recycling, cutting down on waste, but these bins are crap  

Sounds like a bad system, not a bad idea.

We have a small green bin discreetly in the kitchen, which has a compostible liner bag. Those bags are tied up and put in the food waste bin. No food ever touches the plastic bin, the indoor bin is never outdoors, the outdoor bin is never indoors. It’s picked up every week.

Never had a problem with smell or mould. If you’ve got something stinky, tie the bag off half full and put it in the outdoor bin. 

I don’t doubt for a second that if Sunak gets to hear about the system that’ll be the next culture war. No! to food waste in bags in bins for composting. we preserve the right to just sling it in a bin bag and nobody knows where it goes.

Not a catchy slogan, its a first draft.

11 minutes ago, VILLAMARV said:

They're the only ones that get picked up every week in some places I've lived.

Here everything is weekly apart from Black Bags which is 3 weekly

Our black bags are every 3 weeks, our last pick up was Thursday and we put out…. One half full black bag.

I’m chuffed with that! We’re pretty much down to the black bag just being for the soft plastic wrap from the top of food containers. It does help that the kids have now **** off!

16 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

Sounds like a bad system, not a bad idea.

We have a small green bin discreetly in the kitchen, which has a compostible liner bag. Those bags are tied up and put in the food waste bin. No food ever touches the plastic bin, the indoor bin is never outdoors, the outdoor bin is never indoors. It’s picked up every week.

I’m not convinced. I’ve just remembered one place I stayed in Northbridge had the system you describe. Big bin outside for food waste, little bin inside with compostable liner. Thing is though that’s 2 plastic bins per house, one or more (diesel) trucks driving round to collect them every week, with most of the big bins being nowhere near full. I guess someone has done some sums about impact and benefits and worked out it’s a good thing overall, but I wonder if a sort of wormery type system wouldn’t be better?

GTFTO

1 minute ago, chrisp65 said:

Our black bags are every 3 weeks, our last pick up was Thursday and we put out…. One half full black bag.

I’m chuffed with that! We’re pretty much down to the black bag just being for the soft plastic wrap from the top of food containers. It does help that the kids have now **** off!

I suspect we may get moved to VT's bin thread but yeah, much the same. Swansea was weird after many years of Cardiffs one bag for all the recycling thing but because the plastic was seperate and every 2 weeks we needed somewhere to store it - which was ok as we had a 2nd shower that didnt work :thumb:  but off the back of that we just try not to buy stuff in plastic anymore and its stuck. Supermarket and recycling tip take the soft plastics so we have a bag we stuff that into, food in the same system as you (Wales innit). Powys has coloured plastic tubs for household kerbside collection but we have larger coloured wheelie bins here in the flats. So everything in the same bin inside and sorted on the roadside. It's rare we'll fill a black bag in 3 weeks in the other bin. But then I have no kids etc. I think there's a different thing for nappies n that for weekly collection for those that do.

Like you say food bins the norm over here for more than a decade I'd say.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, bickster said:

And so it starts…

Jeremy Hunt possibly standing down at the next election

He might as well. He’s a millionaire. Can’t see that he’s anything to gain by staying on as an MP. Not gonna be leader, just gets hassle, but he can have a very nice life outside of parliament.

8 hours ago, sidcow said:

So it seems were getting food waste bins, something we don't have here in Solihull. 

So immediately after Sunaks promise we get an extra bin.  That's not going to go down well with the throbbers.

At last! Somewhere to put the remains of the lobsters. 

• Haha 2

21 minutes ago, blandy said:

He might as well. He’s a millionaire. Can’t see that he’s anything to gain by staying on as an MP. Not gonna be leader, just gets hassle, but he can have a very nice life outside of parliament.

Doesn't want a Portillo Moment

Â