The banker loving, baby-eating Tory party thread (regenerated)

blandy

Fines for not attending doctors appointments has been bounced around forever. Our NHS famously have been giving free treatment to anyone for many years so I can’t seen them getting this setup. As already stated, it would cost more than it recovered.

Edited by Genie

Can you imagine the admin cost in trying to claim £10 from people that feel they had good reason not to attend.

What are they going to do with the non payers? Ban them from NHS treatment, or send bailiffs around?

It’s an idea only bettered by Liz Truss declaring that crime will be reduced by 20% because she’ll tell the police they have to reduce crime by 20%.

Morons and racists and the habitually nasty will queue up to vote for it all in the culture war we need to win before we can worry about trivia like food and shelter.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Amsterdam_Neil_D said:

The idea of not turning up to appointments in NL is just not a thing.
It is not as far as I know ever a problem really.

I missed a Dentist appointment once when I first got here in 2000.  €40 fine,  invoiced to me same day,  it is more than that now I think.

I suspect the Doctors and Hospitals are even higher fines.

To not go to an appointment is pretty bad and it messes everything up.  I am sure I saw 10 pound fine or something proposed in the UK. 

I would make it 100 pound and no more appointments until its paid.  If you call the appointment + 24 in advance then no charge , no problems.

What if your train is cancelled? There is an accident so your bus doesn't arrive on time? You get a leak in your house just before you leave? You have a debilitating illness that flairs up on the day and you can't get there because accessible travel funding has been cut so much as council budgets are slashed?

Public transport going wrong is likely to be the main reason people will miss appointments and in many parts of the country are mostly relied on by people on the lowest incomes. Issuing a £100 fine for missing an appointment is only going to drive some people into greater difficulties.

Following up to check people missed appointments for 'acceptable' reasons is only going to cost more money than gets saved, so is purely a punitive political measure to gain support from wannabe authoritarians.

Do you believe there are many people that arrange an appointment to deal with a health issue and then decide they can't be bothered? Considering what it takes to even book an appointment with the GP at the moment I'd be astonished if that was widespread.

• Like 3

29 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

Can you imagine the admin cost in trying to claim £10 from people that feel they had good reason not to attend.

What are they going to do with the non payers? Ban them from NHS treatment, or send bailiffs around?

It’s an idea only bettered by Liz Truss declaring that crime will be reduced by 20% because she’ll tell the police they have to reduce crime by 20%.

Morons and racists and the habitually nasty will queue up to vote for it all in the culture war we need to win before we can worry about trivia like food and shelter.

Rishi Sunak is going to reduce immigration by declaring to reduce immigration.

I hope they get the memo on the beaches of Northern France.

As you say, the racists will see “reduced immigration” and tick the box.

37 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

It's a perfectly viable idea that can be achieved by simply slashing the police force by 20% so they have time to process fewer crimes.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

27 minutes ago, Sam-AVFC said:

What if your train is cancelled? There is an accident so your bus doesn't arrive on time? You get a leak in your house just before you leave? You have a debilitating illness that flairs up on the day and you can't get there because accessible travel funding has been cut so much as council budgets are slashed?

Public transport going wrong is likely to be the main reason people will miss appointments and in many parts of the country are mostly relied on by people on the lowest incomes. Issuing a £100 fine for missing an appointment is only going to drive some people into greater difficulties.

Following up to check people missed appointments for 'acceptable' reasons is only going to cost more money than gets saved, so is purely a punitive political measure to gain support from wannabe authoritarians.

Do you believe there are many people that arrange an appointment to deal with a health issue and then decide they can't be bothered? Considering what it takes to even book an appointment with the GP at the moment I'd be astonished if that was widespread.

40,000 a day some days. A full VP a day.  A million a month. Maybe not widespread after all? 50 quid fine is a lot of money a day. 

4 minutes ago, Amsterdam_Neil_D said:

40,000 a day some days. A full VP a day.  A million a month. Maybe not widespread after all? 50 quid fine is a lot of money a day. 

All from people who just decided they can't be arsed rather than having a valid reason? Damn, that is widespread. 

40,000 people to follow up on, check their reasons and chase for money that many of them won't even have is also a lot of money a day. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Davkaus said:

I don't intend to disrespect SJA, but people turning up to deal with medical emergencies should be getting paid for it. It's also going to be used to paper over the cracks of slow response times.

Absolutely correct. Absolutely that should be the case

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Genie said:

Rishi Sunak is going to reduce immigration by declaring to reduce immigration.

I hope they get the memo on the beaches of Northern France.

As you say, the racists will see “reduced immigration” and tick the box.

If they take the same approach as they've always done with crime figures then all they have to do is report less illegal entry. Let them in, Simples ;)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

The person reporting it just said 37 foreigners in an inflatable. They never actually used the words illegal immigrants.

We’ve sent one of them a questionnaire and logged it as a value brand cruise.

• Like 3

Regarding missed GP appointments. 18 months ago I had crippling back pain that had developed over a couple of days and got steadily worse. I could not stand straight and getting out of bed was a 2 person job.

Called the GPs office on the Wednesday  and told them my situation and was told that I couldn’t have an appointment until the next Tuesday. It was also a telephone appointment. Could I be referred somewhere without one? No. Tuesday rolled around and I was a bit better. Still pain but could walk (well hobble like someone 50 years my senior).

Maybe people wouldn’t miss appointments if they didn’t have to wait a week or more for them. They’re probably getting over what they had, genuinely forgetting because it’s so far in the future or just getting so pissed off that they want to inconvenience the surgery - not my position but I could definitely empathise with the feeling of being pretty pissed off with the way things are working (or not) right now.

5 minutes ago, StefanAVFC said:

She’s going to be a **** nightmare isn’t she.

Where exactly has “being strong with the EU” got us so far?

Edited by Genie
  • Like 1

It is really is bullshit bingo with our Liz. Now she wants to cut Whitehall spending by £11 billion. Apparently. So that is going to help levelling by what exactly? Its best just to ignore the word garbage as she will be in power for probably less than 2 years with minimal support even of  her  own MP's.

Edited by The Fun Factory

2 minutes ago, The Fun Factory said:

It is really is bullshit bingo with our Liz. Now she wants to cut Whitehall spending by £11 billion. Apparently. So that is going to help levelling by what exactly? Its best just to ignore the word garbage as she will be in power for probably less than 2 years with minimal support even of  her  own MP's.

The “tougher” she talks now the shorter her reign will be. She’ll soon learn that there isn’t an appetite for her ridiculous plans and she’ll look weak and powerless.

Shes plotting her own downfall already, pretty special.

• Like 1

Just now, The Fun Factory said:

She probably doesn't even believe in what she is saying- purely to please the rank and file.

It’s back to front once again.

What she needs to say and do to get elected are at opposites of what she needs to say and do to improve the country.

Pissing off the Scottish first minister, and pissing off the EU this week alone… how exactly does that help the people of the UK?

Â