No Man's Sky

hogso

Anyone old enough to remember Elite and Frontier (for me, on the Amiga) will be looking forward to this as much as I am. Heading almost toward age 40, I think this is possibly the first game release since the days of Streetfighter 2 being released on console where I have been genuinely excited by a game. 

Next Tuesday, I am going to get an onset of the Brad Pitts, which requires an automatic 48 hour exclusion from going to work. That morning I will slip in a mention of an after work curry with friends to plant a reference point seed concerning Brads arrival (too many colleagues booked off on leave that week for me to do the same). New season underway,new players and NMS. 

• Like 1

I would have a temptation to get this if I had a PS4, if for nothing else than to see how it compares to Elite: Dangerous. I spent hours space trucking on it last year.

As far as games go there are a hundred worse games to spend 50 notes on.

V01 get a ps4 you'll probably love this then. I know Elite Dangerous I never played it though, just the Amiga ones, the only PC gaming I do is Football Manager and I haven't had the time for that since about April. I go through spells. November to March was Fallout 4 and Football Manager. Then nothing until next Tuesday, well a little bit of 7 Days to Die.

NMS though, open world sandbox... It'll float my boat. Not a fanboy, but I know I'll enjoy this game. 

On 06/08/2016 at 17:49, Ingram85 said:

Pre ordered the Game 10,000 credits + ship version yesterday. Can't wait!!!

The ship upgrade kinda turned me off as it said it includes a hyperdrive to get to other galaxies right from the start. Think I wanna do that sort of upgrading myself, so I've pre-ordered from Amazon which has 10k credits + plus an upgrading multi-tool with a laser or something.

And I have only just pre-ordered, having umm'd and ahh'd. The full change list of the day patch forced my hand in the end.

Edited by hogso

Yeah I hate the pre-order bonuses that give shit away that I want to play to earn. I really hope that I can ignore the ship.. The cash annoys me but in the grand scheme won't be the end of the world, but I hope we start with the base ship and the upgraded ship is in a hangar or something that I can choose to use

I've preordered as well (2nd time ever)

It's been 15 years since I played a proper space sim. The last one was called Hardwar which has this excellent FMV into : Here (& Ben Shephard before he was famous)

I predict a huge backlash from the community when it doesn't deliver the son of the messiah but as I haven't followed the game until a month ago, I haven't the same expectations.

Just read a preview on GC that states the space combat and ground combat is surprisingly good, but there are early concerns about the lack of variety on planets, and with how quickly the basic gameplay premise of explore->collect resources->upgrade/sell->explore will get too repetitive.

One would hope that the closer you get to the centre the wilder things get, but as this was a preview, that can't be confirmed.

I love the idea of this game.

But I suspect what I would want from it it couldn't possibly deliver.

And I also think the developers might have oversold it. Their algorithms might be able to generate billions of unique planets, but ultimately it has to boil down to repeating assets.

It also looks horrible. Again probably an offshoot of the need to have easily generated assets, but the look really does nothing for me.

Devs have confirmed there won't be any paid DLC, but there will be free updates adding stuff in such as 'freighters and bases'. Which is nice.

• Like 1

Was going to pick this up today but reviews currently suggest it's quite repetitive after 3-5 hours.  Be interested to hear what you guys who have it think.

Edited by dubbs

The first few hours I had with this were tremendous. Had a shit eating grin on the whole time as it made me feel like a 10 year old kid again. The beginning absolutely delivers on what I interpreted it to be (I've only really followed in the last month so don't know what's been promised previously).

The game's main crutch is the price-point. Does it have £50 of content? I can see that this is definitely not a game for everyone so if you are on the fence, check out one of the millions of playthrough videos on Youtube. If you have the patience then It will probably be half price in a few months.

I've put my thoughts below in a spoiler tag as I know people will want to play with a fresh pair of eyes. There are no actual spoilers.

Spoiler

A huge plus for me is the lack of a mini map. Too many gorgeous open world games are ruined because it is far more efficient to constantly look at a tiny circle in the top corner of your screen to gather resources than to follow the main view of the world

Inventory is extremely limited so I'm selling everything as soon as I have the opportunity (including stuff like energy cells whose effects can be easily replicated through a quick mine here and there). Upgrades take an additional slot as well so I'm only going to upgrade my weapon for now.

The preorder bonus is extremely mild (which is strangely a good thing in the context of the game). You skip one resource gathering tutorial mission (about 10 minutes) and 10000 credits is really chickenfeed (one inventory slot full of mined materials or half a dozen discoveries).

If you want to 100% a planet you will probably want to do it early before the novelty of exploration wears thin. It took me 3 hours to get 65% of my first planet.

The predicted backlash has started on reddit. 2 players have met up but cannot see each other! Cue meltdown. From what I gathered before, the game wasn't really built with meeting other people in mind.

Edited by RunRickyRun
  • Like 1

Â