No Man's Sky

hogso

Having read some previews my opinion of it is somewhat more positive now, the RPG style upgrades to personalise your ship to suit your needs, be it combat, exploration, trading, etc. plus the 'monoliths' which enable you to learn alien languages and lore, then communicate with them, is neat. Not convinced enough to purchase upon release, though.

Discovering, naming and cataloguing new planets, same for creatures (ala BG&E), gathering resources, upgrading your ship, upgrading your suit for different weather systems, interacting with NPC alien life, learning their languages, space combat, sentinel combat if you annoy them sufficiently enough. The very remote optimism of bumping into another human player. Boarding space stations and having a look round. All with the overall aim of eventually reaching the centre of the universe.

It's far from a 'shite' game as someone said on the last page, no it's not cod or battlefield jingoistic shooty boring rubbish the ADHD kids love. Its not destiny. It's not GTA either. It is its own thing, it's never pretended to be anything else, if anything it's been a victim of confused miscommunicated hype and Murray's eagerness to show it off way too much before it was close to being done.

I'm looking forward to it, I think it will be the perfect blend of discovery, exploration and relaxation wrapped up in 70's style distant future sci fi clothing. It's just not worth £40+ to me. 

No it's not fun in the traditional sense but if you've ever wanted to pilot an x-wing from a hangar, into space and shoot things, escape to a near by planet, have a look around then fly off into space again and board a station and then look out into space and back down onto the planet you were just on (all seamlessly with no loading screens) then this will be very fun.

But to say it's shite is very childish and immature. It's just not for you which if you think as much is fair enough. 

Edited by Ingram85

My only issue with this game is in it's marketing.. This game has been marketed so badly by an indie dev that thinks he's more important than he actually is. If he'd actually sat down from the start and outlined exactly what his game was Hello Games wouldn't be facing the issue they are now.

I will talk from my point of view. I got on board with this game from the start back when he was talking about it being a Journey like online game where players would appear but would go into their own instance eventually, this was intriguing as well the exploring and the renaming of planets and lifeforms. This week though the game is confirmed 100% single player with the only real impact you can have on another players world is through the renaming system, not as cool really.

Now had they come out and outlined what the game was a year ago most people would still be super hyped, but looking around at comments boards in the Steam discussions there is a lot of disappointed gamers wishing they hadn't invested as much emotionally into this game. Now I am still on-board but solely because it still intrigues me, I just hope that their next game they hire some actual PR people as their pretentious leader is doing them no favours. This game was one to watch for a lot of people but the recent previews have likely turned off as many as it's excited.

32 minutes ago, Daweii said:

My only issue with this game is in it's marketing.. This game has been marketed so badly by an indie dev that thinks he's more important than he actually is. If he'd actually sat down from the start and outlined exactly what his game was Hello Games wouldn't be facing the issue they are now.

I'm not sure that's entirely fair.  From what I've heard it was Sony who asked them to be part of the E3 press conference in 2014.  They couldn't turn that down really. Things just kinda snowballed from there.  I'm guessing that if the PS4 wasn't still in the first year of it's life and Sony weren't being widely criticised for lack of exclusives then Hello Games would have been allowed to develop in a bit more peace rather than having this incredible spotlight thrust upon them.  

• 2 months later...

Yeah, the concerns about it were legit already. This isn't going to help anyone's confidence who is thinking about picking it up, myself included.

The rumour comes via Gamestop, btw, they've put stickers over their in store posters saying coming soon, instead of the previously confirmed release date, and it's been suggested elsewhere too.

Tbf it's something gamestop did,  someone took a pic of it and it spread, kotaku ran with it and ign copied them.

It could easily have been a joke by a GameStop employee as a remark on how long it's taken to develop but conversely, it could be true.

Until Murray or Sony confirm it then I'm assuming June 21st is still the date. If not then Ho hum, what's a couple of more months? I've waited this long.

Not surprised by the delay. Two months ago several websites had hands on with the game and stated that performance of the PS4 version was poor, it wouldn't surprise me if they have failed to make it run better since then. Unfortunately for Hello Games they are launching this game on PC so there will be a benchmark for which the PS4 version has to hit or get close to, it appears thus far the PS4 version is off the pace which isn't ideal for a game advertised as a PS4 exclusive of sorts.

42 minutes ago, Ingram85 said:

If there is a delay I'd imagine it's either spit and polish or holding back to coincide with a certain VR release coming up?

They can release now with VR support ready for later just like many games did for Oculus Rift.

• Like 1

Disappointing news if true. Bit silly too considering how much coverage in IGN the game has received the last month or two. All that momentum will be wasted.

• 1 month later...

Good news, everyone!

http://www.kotaku.co.uk/2016/07/08/no-mans-sky-is-finished

no-mans-sky-release-date-complete-finsih

No Man's Sky is Finished

By Julian Benson on 08 Jul 2016 at 8:41AM

Hello Game's Sean Murray tweeted yesterday to announce the No Man's Sky, the universe sandbox that's coming to PS4 and PC, has gone gold. It is complete. Finished. Done. Actually a game that will come out soon because it is like a whole game now.

Though, Murray and the rest of the team said it with more champagne:

It's happened. No Man's Sky just went gold. I'm so incredibly proud of this tiny team. 4 years of emotions 

No Man's Sky is due out on August 10th.

Looking forward to this next month :D

Edited by Ginko
  • Like 1

Â