No Man's Sky

hogso

2 hours ago, RunRickyRun said:

The predicted backlash has started on reddit. 2 players have met up but cannot see each other! Cue meltdown. From what I gathered before, the game wasn't really built with meeting other people in mind.

It's now been suggested that this was a server issue, as it's just so busy at the moment. I'm sure the devs tweeted something along the lines of 'we can't believe this' in regards to the amount of people online, but I find that kinda hard to believe. There are some things built in to aid you in finding others players, like a scanner, it seems. They might not work properly just yet, though.

Edited by hogso

Hmm. You know, I can't remember. I think it is RM. Usually in a white packet from Game, aren't they? Mine from Amazon says it due to be delivered tomorrow.

• Like 1

You'd think they would get it to you for release day?! Especially as I got the dispatched email from Game at 09:37 on Monday morning. I've had stuff from abroad arrive in 24 hours lol.

Im annoyed as the rota gods had given me a day off today, back in work tomorrow :( oh well, I'll play it at the weekend.

Edited by Ingram85

21 minutes ago, Ingram85 said:

You'd think they would get it to you for release day?! Especially as I got the dispatched email from Game at 09:37 on Monday morning. I've had stuff from abroad arrive in 24 hours lol.

Im annoyed as the rota gods had given me a day off today, back in work tomorrow :( oh well, I'll play it at the weekend.

Hate to say it, but mine was waiting at home for me when I got in :D and I only ordered on Monday... 

2 hours ago, hogso said:

It's now been suggested that this was a server issue, as it's just so busy at the moment. I'm sure the devs tweeted something along the lines of 'we can't believe this' in regards to the amount of people online, but I find that kinda hard to believe. There are some things built in to aid you in finding others players, like a scanner, it seems. They might not work properly just yet, though.

If it was the choice between letting 2 out of millions of people meet or have stable performance on day one then they definitely made the right call!

I was half expecting to play in offline mode on day 1 but there have been no issues whatsoever.

Yeah, no issues here either.

Early impressions are, no it doesn't look great at all, and despite due to the size of it you do feel a bit, well, lonely really. 

My first planet wasn't interesting, and I'd read people spend an hour or so there. **** that, I got into space asap, the sentinels were pissing me right off. 

Had a few options then, space station, a 'beacon' whatever that is, or a nearby moon. Opted for the moon, and found...well, a bunch of stuff. Needless to say this is where the fun in the game is, and in certainly enjoying it now. 

I love the art style so it looks really well to me. I imagine PC players used to ultra settings will think it's not much.

I spent 3 hours on my first planet :). You get hooked on a trail - one question mark leads to a transmission beam which leads to an abandoned outpost and so on.

The lack of a bounty system is a glaring omission. I can make up for it though by flying from a space station with a few valuables and waiting for the pirates. There doesn't seem to be much in the way of rewards for space combat (20 or so minerals) so my dreams of being a full time pirate will have to wait. They also need to have a 'recharge all' button.

On the first planet when repairing my ship I decided to fight the sentinels, got up to a level 4 warning (if that's what you call it) before deciding to run :D

Spoilers!  Not for those yet to play! You've been warned 

Spoiler

It was the big **** that made me run in the end, didn't stand a chance. It hung around for a while too, right by my ship, just...waiting. It had gone by the time I went back after exploring/mining 

And as this is in spoilers, I thought I'd mention that I really like the interactions with aliens, the way you slowly uncover the language and have some simple text. I also like the way you interact with the more 'advanced' monuments, that give you dialogue choices that you have to base purely on the one or two, if yours lucky, words you know. 

Was a bit disappointed by space stations before I went to leave - only to see many other ships and aliens to talk and trade with. 

There's work to do to flesh it out more, and after a few hours play it is never a full price game. I am enjoying it, though, and want to get back in to it. 

And can't agree on the 'art style' point, it's downright ugly to me at times, and the texture pop in when flying low to the ground has to be seen to be believed - it's awful. 

So yeah there's good and bad, and as such I'd only really recommend when the price drops, unless you're desperate for it, and know you'll enjoy. 

Edited by hogso
  • Like 1

35 minutes ago, hogso said:

On the first planet when repairing my ship I decided to fight the sentinels, got up to a level 4 warning (if that's what you call it) before deciding to run :D

Spoilers!  Not for those yet to play! You've been warned 

Hide contents

It was the big **** that made me run in the end, didn't stand a chance. It hung around for a while too, right by my ship, just...waiting. It had gone by the time I went back after exploring/mining 

And as this is in spoilers, I thought I'd mention that I really like the interactions with aliens, the way you slowly uncover the language and have some simple text. I also like the way you interact with the more 'advanced' monuments, that give you dialogue choices that you have to base purely on the one or two, if yours lucky, words you know. 

Was a bit disappointed by space stations before I went to leave - only to see many other ships and aliens to talk and trade with. 

There's work to do to flesh it out more, and after a few hours play it is never a full price game. I am enjoying it, though, and want to get back in to it. 

And can't agree on the 'art style' point, it's downright ugly to me at times, and the texture pop in when flying low to the ground has to be seen to be believed - it's awful. 

So yeah there's good and bad, and as such I'd only really recommend when the price drops, unless you're desperate for it, and know you'll enjoy. 

Yep, I did the same as you did. Was mental :D

Pretty sure I'm going to regret this purchase. Game has already crashed after about an hours worth of play and I can't get back in to it now. Wasn't particularly enjoying it up to that point either.

You won't be alone.

It's going to have significant push back. The game is a better thing in buyers heads than it actually turns out to be. The truly interesting things about it, the exploration element, aren't a killer app for many people. Everything else looks rather lacklustre.

Seems the Game pre-order can cause potential issues, in that because it has the hyperdrive pre-installed, you may miss getting the blueprint for it which you usually have to get. So, if you were without it, and were to sell or trade your ship with the hyperdrive installed for one that doesn't have one, you'd be unable to craft it, and therefore wouldn't be able to get to other galaxies, rendering you confined to the one you're in. Oops!

Encountered a right aggressive animal on one planet, it was like a sabre tooth tiger, but a bit bigger, with wings :lol: it just attacked me right off, I wasn't even really getting close to it. So, I had to put it down - and it took a lot to do so. Phew, I thought. Only, it seems that action angered all the other previously nice animals nearby, who charged for me. Bastards, luckily I had my ship close by so could get out of there sharpish.

Edited by hogso

Â