No Man's Sky

hogso

Put about 4/5 hours in this afternoon, 2 game ending crashes...

sort of getting my head round it all (I think) it's ok, something to plod along with, think the speed you walk / run at and the lack of inventory space will annoy me first 

Inventory space, you kind of have to luck out on with those planet side pods that crop up every now and again, and purchase them. Same again for a 'free' ship that's crashed. 

The traversing speed can be gotten round some what, if you sprint, melee, then boost (think that's the right order) you'll move forwards at high speed, very handy. 

I made a HUGE mistake last night.  I found a crashed ship that was a significant upgrade on mine, but it needed a decent amount of repairs.  In my excitement I accepted it without transferring anything from my old ship and I'm on a planet with radiation so bad if fries you in a couple of minutes.  I think I'm boned.  I was so annoyed with myself that I have not tried to get out of the situation yet, I just turned off my PS4.  Will see what I can do about it tonight.....

If Matt Damon can do it, I'm sure you can @Straggler ;)

As for lack of storage, it can be irksome but it's one of the biggest elements and challenges to the game so it's sort of the point. The feeling you get when you put enough work into being rewarded with more suit space or a bigger ship is worth the pain.

@villa4europe see mine and @hogso's posts earlier about managing storage between your suit and ship because there's a knack to it.

Edited by Ginko
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Ginko said:

As for lack of storage, it can be irksome but it's one of the biggest elements and challenges to the game so it's sort of the point. The feeling you get when you put enough work into being rewarded with more suit space or a bigger ship is worth the pain.

Also, see mine and @hogso's posts earlier about managing storage between your suit and ship because there's a knack to it.

That actually inspired me a little bit.  I'm going to have to science the sh1t out of it.

• Like 1

Just crashed on the loading screen lol didn't even manage to get into the game :angry::(

Makes me wonder if it's my console? But everything else runs fine. Maybe memory space?

It is very, very odd. I still haven't had a single crash or freeze, even my frame rate has been running very reasonably. As you mention it, though, I have something like 10% free storage on my HDD. My only other guess would be overheating - does your console have plenty of room to 'breath'?

Other than that, I dunno, try an uninstall and reinstall? Could try to free some room up too, see if that helps. Shame as it's ruining your potential enjoyment of the game.

Had my first crash checking out a crashed ship, works fine since then but it was annoying.

@Designer1 I've just encountered your distress beacon issue. I think it's a bug. I got the marker, went out into low orbit and found it in an asteroid field. It was like Alderaan all over again...

Checked online and it seems like a relatively common occurrence. Apparently what's supposed to happen is that you arrive mid-fight whilst pirates attack a cargo vessel. The cargo ship is what sent the beacon and you can allegedly choose which side to fight. Shame it's not working for everyone, sounds like a pretty cool moment. 

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, hogso said:

It is very, very odd. I still haven't had a single crash or freeze, even my frame rate has been running very reasonably. As you mention it, though, I have something like 10% free storage on my HDD. My only other guess would be overheating - does your console have plenty of room to 'breath'?

Other than that, I dunno, try an uninstall and reinstall? Could try to free some room up too, see if that helps. Shame as it's ruining your potential enjoyment of the game.

I've just deleted nearly half the memory of old games following the loading screen freeze, ps4 has got lots of room to breathe, no dust and played witcher for hours last night no problems, just played Nms just for about 30 minutes and locked up again so I know it's not a memory or overheating issue.

Ive just took your advice and am now reinstalling it in the hope that does something otherwise I'm at the mercy of patches. 

Gutted.

Edited by Ingram85

i saw something in the ign review which sorted the storage space issue for me, bypass chips and drop pods...

also got my head around using resources to restore your suit and health which means im eating up a lot more stuff rather than storing it

Well, I had a day off today so I've played quite a bit.

I've crashed three times, which is annoying, but perhaps more so is the fact I crashed twice jumping to hyperspace from my current galaxy so now I'm worried I won't be able to leave until some sort of patch comes out, or, worse still, I'll have to start from scratch.

All these crashes it's a wonder this game passed TCR. I remember when I was a tester the requirements seemed a lot more strict to get a pass, though perhaps that's a difference between Sony and Microsoft.

Either way, disappointing as it takes the sheen off an otherwise enjoyable time-sink of a game. Hope Hello Games are working on more bug fixes as we speak.

Edited by Ginko

1 hour ago, Ginko said:

All these crashes it's a wonder this game passed TCR. I remember when I was a tester the requirements seemed a lot more strict to get a pass, though perhaps that's a difference between Sony and Microsoft.

I honestly don't think anyone cares anymore thanks to now easily being able to fix stuff with patches/updates.

Release a broken game a few years ago and it generally ended in just being broken, or a messy product recall. Now with more and more people switching to digital and the ability to patch things as and when they wish the standards have gone downhill fast.

Even games that have had multiple closed/public aplhas/betas still launch with loads of problems.

The odd completely random bug/glitch will always happen but there is no way under any sort of proper testing that some of the stuff that affects hundreds/thousands of people should be getting through.

The general public & day one buyers are now rapidly becoming the beta testers.

Trying to get the Extreme Survival milestone to max as it's the last thing I need to do to get the Platinum trophy but because it is cumulative and resets when you die or leave a planet, I need to stay on one single Extreme planet for over 8 hours.. It's a pain in the ass. 

Just now, Designer1 said:

@Daweii You can go into a shelter (if you can find one on the planet) and it still counts toward 'time spent' if that helps.

Yeah that's what I've been doing it's just a very slow use of my time. It's made worse by the fact I got to like 19 SOLS before I realised it was cumulative based on one planet/life so I have to wait like 4-5 hours before I can see that counter go up again. Worst milestone in the game for sure.. Thank you for the suggestion though :D

Just now, Daweii said:

Yeah that's what I've been doing it's just a very slow use of my time. It's made worse by the fact I got to like 19 SOLS before I realised it was cumulative based on one planet/life so I have to wait like 4-5 hours before I can see that counter go up again. Worst milestone in the game for sure.. Thank you for the suggestion though :D

No worries.

I had a feeling you might already be doing that but then had a vision of you walking about a hostile planet and being attacked with every step :)

• Like 1

Crashes have started for me now too, when entering hyperspace. Thought I'd craft a fair few warp cells and scoot to the next Atlus waypoint, which was 3 warps away. Every single time during the transition, the game crashed. Second attempt it was fine, and I didn't lose any significant progress, but still annoying.

One of the warps that did work, though, dropped me right in to the middle of a fire fight, with a bunch of pirates attacking a cargo ship. Clocked 3 of them, took them on, one goes down and I'm feeling confident. Then the tracker in the bottom right confirms there are 21 enemy ships remaining. So yeah, I died for the first time last night.

Also found my first planet yesterday with Sentinals that shoot on sight. The creatures were bizarre, like penis shaped rabbits, or something. Didn't hang around too long but it's one place I'd like to have a closer look at.

Edited by hogso

ENjoying this so far but cant work out how to move items and upgrades between inventory slots, I know X (on the PC) transfers them between suit and ship, but apparently if you have related upgrades next to each other in the grid they boost each other more? Now I have built them I cant seem to move them, will I need to destroy then reconstruct them?

On 15/08/2016 at 10:34, Ginko said:

@villa4europe see mine and @hogso's posts earlier about managing storage between your suit and ship because there's a knack to it.

FYI, I put 5 hours into this last night getting out of the hole I had dug for myself (not quite the 500+ sols Matt Damon had to do).  I found a long tunnel/cave after a few scouts in different directions. It went for a huge distance and at the other end I managed to find a building with a trading point in it.  Then it was simply a matter of mining the cave and grinding out the trip back to the trade point until I had enough cash to pay for and build everything I needed to repair my new ship.  After that I got the hell off that planet and found a nice one that just gets slightly cold at night and is otherwise danger free environment wise.

I now have 80 words of Gek and have managed to complete the planet to 88%.  Feels nice to have my first easy planet to mine the crap out of.

In other news, I can understand why some people are feeling it a little repetitive, but I am interested enough in the mystery of the different aliens you encounter to keep going and I'm finding the lonely feeling about it really appropriate for the sort of game it is.  I'm certainly enjoying it enough to keep going it is quite relaxing to play.

• Like 1

Â