No Man's Sky

hogso

Yup, I can understand why some people might find it a bit dull but to be honest with you I'm pretty engrossed in it.

I do have a little gripe that I discovered the other day, however. I was on a planet that was pretty rich in gold and spent my time mining it and raising funds.

So I start lasering from the top down, collecting lumps of gold as I go, and then I get to pretty much around ground level and noticed that even though the gold textures were there and I could mine it, I wasn't receiving the gold in my inventory. I tried this a few more times and this is by no means fully investigated, but it would appear that the unit blocks closer to the ground or closer to other textures don't count. On one occasion I had continued to mine until every single bit of gold texture had disappeared which spent a good five or ten minutes and wasted a fair bit of my laser charge, yet I hadn't collected any extra gold for my troubles.

Anyone else noticed anything like this?

14 minutes ago, Ginko said:

Yup, I can understand why some people might find it a bit dull but to be honest with you I'm pretty engrossed in it.

I do have a little gripe that I discovered the other day, however. I was on a planet that was pretty rich in gold and spent my time mining it and raising funds.

So I start lasering from the top down, collecting lumps of gold as I go, and then I get to pretty much around ground level and noticed that even though the gold textures were there and I could mine it, I wasn't receiving the gold in my inventory. I tried this a few more times and this is by no means fully investigated, but it would appear that the unit blocks closer to the ground or closer to other textures don't count. On one occasion I had continued to mine until every single bit of gold texture had disappeared which spent a good five or ten minutes and wasted a fair bit of my laser charge, yet I hadn't collected any extra gold for my troubles.

Anyone else noticed anything like this?

Exactly the same, once you get to the base layer of gold, there's no point cleaning it up as it doesn't give you any gold, or you get the odd x2 bit. One other annoying thing in the gold harvesting thing is that if you walk like 100 steps away from the gold it appears there so I always end up walking back to one I've already done and it disappears like a mirage.

Not sure if others have done this but one easy way of making decent money (if you can't find/be bothered with gold) is to get shit loads of plutonium and shit loads of carbon and just make 100s of bypass chips... It can get monotonous but the raw materials are easy to find and it only takes a few of each to make one. You can stand in the galactic exchange and make loads, sell them and make more if you've got enough of the raw materials. 

I also found a planet with Emeril on it and that stuffs worth even more than gold.

Edited by alreadyexists

Is it? I've found Emeril here and there but always thought Gold was more expensive.

As for your mirage issue, it happens to me all the time and it's pretty annoying. I didn't know about the Bypass Chip trick though, might have to look into that, but you obviously you risk the wrath of the Sentinels farming Carbon and Plutonium. Not that it stops me ordinarily. I farm every bit of Plutonium I can find, that shit is like crack to my suit and ship.

Edited by Ginko

Emiril is great. I have 4x 500 stacks of it, having found a planet with big caves with a lot of it in, just waiting for a decent price to trade it in

Finally got the atlas pass blueprint too! 

Man you must have lots of storage space if you can hold that much and can afford to play at the stock market. I just sell it all as soon as my inventories are maxed out.

Took me far too long to realise that in order to find drop pods to increase your suit inventory you need to select 'Shelter' from the options when you use a bypass chip on the orange beams.

Search for shelter on every world you land on and check the left side (as you're flying in) of the space stations as long as you have Atlas V1 Pass and you'll have a ton of space in your suit inventory in no time.

I can't even remember what exactly got me there, but I've had a consistent 1mil banked for ages now, despite spending on upgrades, the other stuff I sell evens it out. 

Hoping to find a system that had Emeril at +100% so I can get closer to 2mil, and the associated trophy. Will probably buy a new ship then too. 

Reached the 2mil mark tonight and traded ships but only got a couple more storage spots. Kinda annoying that you have to wait and see who/what shows up in space stations rather than buying or building your own ship, unless I'm missing something here.

I keep finding all these upgrades to for my suit/ship/tool and I never use them. I barely use the stuff that's already on the last tool upgrade I got, which, by the way, is another irksome thing in that every new tool I've found since has been a slot lower than the one I currently have. Unless the tool slots max. out at 10, I'm feeling a little cheated here.

Edited by Ginko

15 hours ago, Ginko said:

Reached the 2mil mark tonight and traded ships but only got a couple more storage spots. Kinda annoying that you have to wait and see who/what shows up in space stations rather than buying or building your own ship, unless I'm missing something here.

I keep finding all these upgrades to for my suit/ship/tool and I never use them. I barely use the stuff that's already on the last tool upgrade I got, which, by the way, is another irksome thing in that every new tool I've found since has been a slot lower than the one I currently have. Unless the tool slots max. out at 10, I'm feeling a little cheated here.

You can always find crashed ships that may wind up to be an upgrade on the cheap by building Bypass Chips and using them on those beacons at Outposts that emit an orange beam (choose Transmission). These are usually one slot better than your current ship, but you can luck out as my mate did the other day and find a 48 slot ship just chillin'.

As for Multi-Tools I am not sure what the max is but mine is 24 slots currently. That one is also luck of the draw. How I manged to get some pretty beast Multi-Tools was at Space Stations, there are some random encounters with the Vy'Keen that result in a Multi-Tool as a reward. I understand how frustrating it can be though as the way the game is wired is it likes to either upgrade by one slot, or downgrade by one slot so finding one that upgrades by 5-6 slots is harder than it probably should be.  

1 hour ago, Daweii said:

You can always find crashed ships that may wind up to be an upgrade on the cheap by building Bypass Chips and using them on those beacons at Outposts that emit an orange beam (choose Transmission). These are usually one slot better than your current ship, but you can luck out as my mate did the other day and find a 48 slot ship just chillin'.

As for Multi-Tools I am not sure what the max is but mine is 24 slots currently. That one is also luck of the draw. How I manged to get some pretty beast Multi-Tools was at Space Stations, there are some random encounters with the Vy'Keen that result in a Multi-Tool as a reward. I understand how frustrating it can be though as the way the game is wired is it likes to either upgrade by one slot, or downgrade by one slot so finding one that upgrades by 5-6 slots is harder than it probably should be.  

Okay... so I guess multi-tools don't max. out at 10 slots then :D

I need to start getting luckier. I haven't had someone try to give me a new multi-tool at space stations since I started and the ones I find planet-side in the hidden cabinets on the wall are always one less slot than my current one.

I'll start searching for more abandoned ships though. It's got to come good sometime. I don't know if it's a bug, but the target-assist didn't work on my new ship when I tried dogfighting last night. I thought it might have been an upgrade you need to unlock and then build but after searching I couldn't find anything like it. Then I saw someone mention you have to reboot your game after switching ships for the aim-assist to function. Anyone know how true that is?

19 minutes ago, Czechlad said:

I'm guessing I shouldn't buy this game from the general reactions I've seen. I was really excited for this, but it seems the content is severely lacking. 

Depends if you are the kind of gamer that sets goals to work towards, or if you prefer a more curated experience crafted for you by the developers. There is a fair bit to do in the game but on the surface none of it is really all that apparent. It will be getting more content though they have a base building update in the works and likely more to come. So if games like Minecraft are your thing where it's 90% mining and exploring then you may dig this game, if not then it may be worth waiting to see if there is more structured content added to the game eventually. 

37 minutes ago, bannedfromHandV said:

I don't have the game but can someone explain what the goal is ultimately? I assuming there's no real story as such?

There's a very loose story and the ultimate goal (though it's encouraged to take your time working towards this) is to reach the centre of the universe. All the way through you communicate with aliens which reveal snippets of the story but it's also about understanding creation and pondering why we're here and how we came to be. It's quite zen in that sense and the relaxed gameplay reflects that.

As for Daweii's Minecraft comparison, he's not wrong though I personally don't enjoy Minecraft much. I do, however, enjoy NMS as I feel it's a little more structured in terms of the aims and your progression. Working towards improving your suit and your ship is fun and challenging and discovering the new planets and lifeforms that inhabit them is fun at first though it does get a bit samey. The challenge is in the resource management for me, and as repetitive as the gameplay might be, I'm still strangely drawn to it. I could understand if people got bored by the game, though. I think of it as a very stripped down Elite: Dangerous, but that's quite nice in a weird way.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Daweii said:

Depends if you are the kind of gamer that sets goals to work towards, or if you prefer a more curated experience crafted for you by the developers. There is a fair bit to do in the game but on the surface none of it is really all that apparent. It will be getting more content though they have a base building update in the works and likely more to come. So if games like Minecraft are your thing where it's 90% mining and exploring then you may dig this game, if not then it may be worth waiting to see if there is more structured content added to the game eventually. 

Never played minecraft. I actually don't play games all that often unless it's Dark souls or a souls like game, or Fifa/football manager. I did enjoy Skyrim a lot. 

At the moment I'm finding it a bit dull.  Planet hop from place to place.  Replenish elements to stay alive,  upgrade/ trade ship. Get attacked in space. Win / die repeat. No real point. Might get traded in the weekend. 

6 hours ago, Czechlad said:

Never played minecraft. I actually don't play games all that often unless it's Dark souls or a souls like game, or Fifa/football manager. I did enjoy Skyrim a lot. 

Ah well in that case it may pay to wait it out either until it gets cheaper or until more content for the game is announced. I wouldn't say this is really anything like any of the game you mentioned. 

• Like 1

Having just bought my first ship (I upgraded via crashed ones before), and getting an additional 6 inventory slots in the process, the next planet I land on is littered with Sac Venom and Albumen Pearls. They are literally everywhere. I've done one run so far which bagged me about 10 of them, sold them all for nearly 250k at the nearby space station. A small issue is that with all the sentinals coming for me (I tend to grab three, kill the sentinals, and repeat) the loot they're dropping is filling up slots and I kinda wanna keep some of it...but most I dispose of to make room for more bounty.

Also, on the trip back to the space station I'm quite the target for pirates, which is highly irritating. If I could find a trade post on the planet too, that would be perfect...think I'm going to be spending quite some time there.

Edited by hogso

Â