Moving abroad - who has done it?

Chap of Steel

I've worked on and off in Malta for periods of time. Easy enough, the majority speak english and I learnt enough Maltese to get by. I usually left the family home and basically commuted for the working week so I was home Friday evening for most weekends. It was a strange double life, a flat in Sliema with a maid I rarely saw that made sure everything was clean and tidy and the bin was emptied on a Friday and the fridge was full on a Monday. Then a family at home that were waiting for that 48 hour window I was around to fit shelves, sort out the car, wire a plug....

If the family came over, I'd get a hotel rather than stay in the flat and we'd live like kings for a few days. I did so much flying I had the private number of Brian, the man that upgrades people for Air Malta. Flew first class every single time for about 2 years. Not sure how that worked, but I knew better than to question it.

Weird lifestyle, glad to have had the opportunity and the experience, but I don't miss it.

• Like 1

I quite fancy living somewhere like Vienna or Prague for 6 months. Just rent an apartment in the city and see how I get on. Perhaps learn the language while I'm there. 

• Like 1

I quite fancy living somewhere like Vienna or Prague for 6 months. Just rent an apartment in the city and see how I get on. Perhaps learn the language while I'm there. 

Hot Peppers & Atlas Bar every night  :D

Edited by Kingman

Warsaw imo

14 years in Melbourne. Sick to death of the place now. Looking to move back to England in the next year... or possibly back to NZ - where I lived for a year before settling in Oz.

Melbourne has changed an awful lot in the time I've been here. Cost of living has gone through the roof - it was rated one of the cheapest cities to live in when I came here, now it ranks as one of the most expensive cities in the world. It's become much more of a struggle for us of late. And I'm fed up with the heat of the summer, the lack of culture beyond sport and coffee, and the retarded 1950s government we have. But perhaps more importantly, I miss family and home... 

• 3 months later...

I moved to Th Gold Coast in Australia for a year on a young persons holiday Visa, it was the best year of my life and would recommend the idea to anyone! Aus is such a beautiful place with a relaxed, outdoors lifestyle, and they speak English which is a bonus :-)

• Like 2

On 26/07/2015, 16:12:24, PongRiddims said:
On 17/06/2015, 18:18:21, rjw63 said:

I've spent some time in Wolverhampton. Its shit and the language is undecipherable.

Living or working? I'm here now (well, I'm in the leafy bit which I like to call South Staffs)

Visiting people. That was more than enough.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
On 17/08/2015 at 20:56, Xela said:

Just do it, get enough money together for a few months rent, give yourself at least 6 months to be really shit at the language but have enough to get some kind of work. 

I was lucky in that I had a contract and worked remotely, I only had money for 2 months though when I came so needed the wages once I'd paid the deposit and a month up front! Took me a year to get italian down to a decent level to open up a whole other world which you can't experience if you don't speak the language. Never looked back after that, here 11 years in May.

Seriously you will not regret it, even if it doesn't work out you will find out a shitload about yourself that you otherwise wouldn't know. 

• Like 1

My uncles always said to me to come to Australia and he will hook me up work. Have always had a interest in going there although it's bloody far. Have to say lately I've been thinking about going more and more as getting fed of everything in London now. Houses are completely unaffordable, lack of decent jobs, work all the time and just fed of these corrupt governments over here.

was tempted to trial it 6 months and rent my flat out in the mean time see how I get in. You definitely need guts to do this as I do feel abit anxious going to the unknown so far. 

On ‎28‎/‎04‎/‎2016 at 04:07, Demitri_C said:

My uncles always said to me to come to Australia and he will hook me up work. Have always had a interest in going there although it's bloody far. Have to say lately I've been thinking about going more and more as getting fed of everything in London now. Houses are completely unaffordable, lack of decent jobs, work all the time and just fed of these corrupt governments over here.

was tempted to trial it 6 months and rent my flat out in the mean time see how I get in. You definitely need guts to do this as I do feel abit anxious going to the unknown so far. 

Any part in particular? Australia is a big country, and each part is quite different, as in weather, environment, people, cost of living, etc. There is no need to be anxious, as many Brits have come over and settled in quite easily, even if it is only temporary. However, you will never know if its for you unless you try. More than happy to answer any questions you have about my home.

On 28/04/2016 at 19:07, Demitri_C said:

You need a visa, Dem, to work there. You're the right age and (I think) skill set to get one. maybe as a first step you should go through the application process (even if you don't actually submit and pay)? - it doesn't take that long, but the process of going through the questions may sort of focus your mind on what to do, where to start etc.

As for going there - the place is fantastic. I've been there 5 times, I think, for work (generally 2 or 3 months at a time). I was working out in the back of beyond in the outback (which in itself is an amazing, amazing place), but tagged some holiday on at the end of one spell and whizzed round for a few weeks to see some of the rest of the country.

Â