Moving abroad - who has done it?

Chap of Steel

I'd definitely recommend it to anybody who doesn't have commitments and is still unsure on what they want to do.

I came here on a bit of a whim, and now I have a career path lined up, speak a bit of Polish and live independently in a big city. I don't think I could do those things if I was 24, living in the UK.

Edited by StefanAVFC
  • Like 1

I have done it most my life and will probably do it again in a few years time with the missus. Life is too short to stay put in one place.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Keyblade said:

Yep, I'm about to move another country by the end of the year. I haven't been home for nearly a decade now.

Stay classy key.

• Like 1

On ‎4‎/‎05‎/‎2016 at 16:22, AVFC_Hitz said:

Is your sex dungeon air conditioned?

Australia, not to be confused with Austria. However, if sex dungeons float your boat, I would recommend Sydney. Due to the early lockout laws, night life in Sydney has taken a hit, and people are keen for other avenues for entertainment. In Sydney, I would recommend the friendly, approachable people in areas such as Bankstown, Punchbowl, or Cabramatta. Just ask around. You might be pleasantly surprised!

On 5/4/2016 at 12:47, blandy said:

You need a visa, Dem, to work there. You're the right age and (I think) skill set to get one. maybe as a first step you should go through the application process (even if you don't actually submit and pay)? - it doesn't take that long, but the process of going through the questions may sort of focus your mind on what to do, where to start etc.

As for going there - the place is fantastic. I've been there 5 times, I think, for work (generally 2 or 3 months at a time). I was working out in the back of beyond in the outback (which in itself is an amazing, amazing place), but tagged some holiday on at the end of one spell and whizzed round for a few weeks to see some of the rest of the country.

Thanks Pete for that, I have been doing a bit of research recently. I think I need to do more and speak to my family over there, as I have alot there.Need to see if I qualify for the skill set they require over there

• Like 1

I'd love to, but family are hard to leave.

I also have a 15 month old son who will need school soon.. I don't think I could bounce around wherever with him in tow.

My wife and I are looking into Canada, but I'm unsure - I wanted to, but I think the time has made it more of a decision for me now.

I think the best thing to do would be to get to 50, sell house, buy camper van and just drive to wherever.

9 minutes ago, lapal_fan said:

I'd love to, but family are hard to leave.

I also have a 15 month old son who will need school soon.. I don't think I could bounce around wherever with him in tow.

My wife and I are looking into Canada, but I'm unsure - I wanted to, but I think the time has made it more of a decision for me now.

I think the best thing to do would be to get to 50, sell house, buy camper van and just drive to wherever.

You've got 3 years till your boy will "need" school and travel when they are very young is very good for them. New experiences are as good for them as they are for you, woudl massively recommend moving to somewhere with a decent climate for top time with a young family. Can't beat throwing your kids about into lakes and the sea of an afternoon, they love it and it's free ;)

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

I've lived in 4 different countries in my life outside of work. Hamburg, Stockholm, briefly in Ireland and for about half a year in Croatia. I rated Hamburg by far the highest. Wonderful city, a bit like Amsterdam just larger. At the end of the day I have family in the UK so I don't see how I'm going to get anywhere else until we eventually sell the house. I am drawn to New Zealand - buy some cheap land and make my own wine or something. The only drawback is that it's one hell of a journey. When I go to Australia or New Zealand for work I get absolutely shattered with jetlag. 

What it's done for me in my life is that I've learnt German, quite a lot of Swedish and it's given me perspective. I don't think being in one place your whole life is good for anyone. It narrows the mind so to speak. There's nothing more challenging for a young person than being alone in a country where you don't speak the language. The learning curve is extremely steep and it pushes you into doing things that you'd never do in old blighty. 

I like the idea of lots of land, fewer people and generally being able to look in any direction without having to deal with chavs, people, work, emails and all that stuff. 

(tbf I'd probably become an alcoholic if I made my own wine..)

• Like 3

• 1 year later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Lived in Australia as a teenager and moved back from Ireland recently. Was tough getting set up in Ireland and the rent/living costs is fairly high in the cities but higher wages generally balance it out and I generally found it easier to save there than England.

Also with my gf being Croatian I have spent around 6+ months of my life there and around another 4 travelling around eastern Europe. So I've been around a bit I guess haha 

Edited by Nidrosian

• 3 weeks later...

a slightly more complicated one...anyone ever lived abroad whilst still being employed in the UK?

currently trying to relocate to Germany which isnt going well thanks to my poor german, it does however look like i am going to spend 2019 working at brum airport, site based probably 5 days a week but maybe 1 or 2 days from home, so im thinking i make that home in germany, will cost about £80-100 a week to fly in Monday morning and out Friday afternoon (costs i can pretty much cover by getting the train to work but claiming fuel expenses)

what im not sure about is tax rules and health insurance and thats before brexit, my plan is to try and do it and get registered out there before brexit kicks in

On 14/01/2019 at 15:04, villa4europe said:

a slightly more complicated one...anyone ever lived abroad whilst still being employed in the UK?

currently trying to relocate to Germany which isnt going well thanks to my poor german, it does however look like i am going to spend 2019 working at brum airport, site based probably 5 days a week but maybe 1 or 2 days from home, so im thinking i make that home in germany, will cost about £80-100 a week to fly in Monday morning and out Friday afternoon (costs i can pretty much cover by getting the train to work but claiming fuel expenses)

what im not sure about is tax rules and health insurance and thats before brexit, my plan is to try and do it and get registered out there before brexit kicks in

I lived in Krakow for a year until last September whilst still being employed in the UK. I was still "resident in the UK for tax purposes" and have the European health insurance and my own travel insurance, so I didn't register at all. Brexit will change that though when I go back in April.

Â