Windows 10

Genie

Yes I've just seen that icon on my laptop too. No way I am going to upgrade. 

Just read  though that the one year thing means you can get the  free upgrade for up to one year after release then you have to pay. So theres no time limit on this version just that you have to do it within one year. 

Edited by PaulC

Been in the preview version for a while now. Been amazingly stable and you get a very nice gaming boost. Seeing much better fps in games like witcher 3 and project cars.

PS. I've only had a kernel error in 20+ years using Linux when I've had a hardware failure. I get up times over 100 days regularly even on laptops. If you're re-installing that often then how do you get any work done? :D

Yeah I'm pretty sure my Kernal error is related to the Hard Drive. It only seems to do it when it's trying to wake up from sleeping, and my HDD also makes a crackling noise. 

Frankly, it's time for a new laptop :D

I do love Ubuntu though and understand why you recommend it.... I use Ubuntu server for everything at work, it's awesome, but I just prefer Windowz at home (plus it has gaming benefits). :thumb:

I understand the Linux love, it's open source, and can match and better  Windows for features, but in terms of real life experience, most people are familiar with Windows because that's what they've used before at work, at home, whatever. It's quite easy to use, and it's effective.

limpid, why would you avoid upgrading Windows? And how do you know that Windows 10 will suffer the same issues? I think it's jumping the gun somewhat to say definitively that upgrade users will suffer instability, it's not even out yet. 

Windows 8 was gash, they got it wrong. It isn't user friendly to use. 10 brings back the start button, (hurray!) and looks kinda cool. I'm expecting performance to be pretty good, the minimum spec for Windows 10 is similar to 7, and supposedly it'll be good under the hood. I've used the technical preview at work, and it seems good. You used to be able to download the preview for free, if anyone is inclined to do so. 

I'm upgrading for sure. 

limpid, why would you avoid upgrading Windows? And how do you know that Windows 10 will suffer the same issues? I think it's jumping the gun somewhat to say definitively that upgrade users will suffer instability, it's not even out yet. 

If it's not even out yet, then what are all these icons that people have appearing on their desktops? Experience shows it's always a bad idea to use a Microsoft OS until they've released a service pack. This has been true for all their OSes other than the ones which were quickly replaced (like Vista and ME). Again from experience, their OS upgrades are always a poor experience, even if not immediately. At some point you'll install (or have installed for you) something which wasn't tested on an upgraded installation and it'll break something. I couldn't recommend any version of Windows to anyone unless they are competent to perform their own reinstalls.

For most computer users ChromeOS does everything they need with no AV, no anti-malware and no app updates to worry about or to slow down the device. I find it hard to recommend anything other the Chromebooks for almost all users at the moment.

The upgrade application is installed for all users which meet windows 10 upgrade criteria and have automatic windows upgrades installed. I would hardly say it was malicious to make users aware they are eligible for a free upgrade. I read somewhere that Microsoft want to make Windows 10 the last OS they ever make, they will simply continue to update it for free, for everyone and aim to make money out of office apps etc.

I'll take your points on the upgrade issues, I don't have that much experience with that. I do have experience with Windows 7 and find it incredibly stable.

The upgrade application is installed for all users which meet windows 10 upgrade criteria and have automatic windows upgrades installed. I would hardly say it was malicious to make users aware they are eligible for a free upgrade. I read somewhere that Microsoft want to make Windows 10 the last OS they ever make, they will simply continue to update it for free, for everyone and aim to make money out of office apps etc.

I'll take your points on the upgrade issues, I don't have that much experience with that. I do have experience with Windows 7 and find it incredibly stable.

Like IE6 was the last browser they'll ever make? :)

Do you have experience on Win7 when it's upgraded from Vista? I am only talking about upgrades.

I said years ago that Microsoft should make Windows free for home use. They've encouraged piracy for years anyway so making it free for non commercial use is the best way to tidy things up.

The next step should still be to open source it and base it on sysV with proper PTYs. That bit will probably never happen.

My OS history:

DOS 6.22

Windows for workgroups 3.11

Windows 95

Windows 95 OSR2 with USB support

Windows 98

Windows 98SE

Windows ME

Windows 2000 + dual boot with Mandrake 7

Mandrake 8

Ubuntu 4.10

Every Ubuntu since

Windows 7 (purely for video editing :( )

Windows 7 will be the last version of Windows I ever use. I've got the Chromebook for almost everything I need and most video editing is going cloud based. I don't play a lot of games anyway now. I could probably fairly happily ditch Windows altogether again and go pure Linux.

I think Microsoft have to do something different to survive now, perhaps that is it. I assume Chrome OS works in this manner? We're rolling out office 365 at work soon and the prospect of not working with offline files is welcome. I should imagine office 365 will be common place on many workplaces and schools in the near future.

I have no experience of upgrades, only clean installs. I don't fully understand how it is different to a clean install, apart from the fact user data and applications are kept. Surely the OS files are the same?

Mind you Vista was cack too though!

I think Microsoft have to do something different to survive now, perhaps that is it. I assume Chrome OS works in this manner? We're rolling out office 365 at work soon and the prospect of not working with offline files is welcome. I should imagine office 365 will be common place on many workplaces and schools in the near future.

I have no experience of upgrades, only clean installs. I don't fully understand how it is different to a clean install, apart from the fact user data and applications are kept. Surely the OS files are the same?

Mind you Vista was cack too though!

My 4k users at work have been using Google for email / documents / video confs for nearly 4 years (next month). I'm not sure why anyone would select a newcomer like Office365 for this. Stick with the tried and trusted.

• Like 1

Work pay an IT company far too much money to make decisions like that and implement them, unfortunately.

Yep. I did a quote for a friend's company recently and using Google was about 10% of the price they were quoted for Exchange (just implementation costs). Scary how many companies get screwed over by third party IT consultants. Admittedly if I was doing it for a living I'd have needed to charge for my time, but I'd have implemented for free and signed them up to a support agreement.

I didn't know video editing is going cloud based, sorry if this is OT, but will that mean that a user with modest hardware be able to edit video?

YouTube is pretty much the only destination for online video now, that or Facebook for shorter social shares.

The editing tools on YouTube are getting better all the time anyway, but the fact is the vast majority of people don't do video editing. They shoot and maybe crop on their phones and then upload as is.

There have been a few other cloud based video editors but nothing has become big because no one needs it.

It used to be a big deal to edit video on your PC. But stuff like Premiere, Studio and Vegas are becoming less popular because of all the reasons above. It won't take long for someone like Adobe or Pinnacle to work out that it's just easier and more lucrative to implement all the features online and use HTML5 features for realtime. The advantages are endless. And now with connectivity bandwidth hovering around the 100Mb mark, uploading raw files is quicker than a local USB 2.0 copy.

I doubt you'll see many more installable releases of home video editing software.

Professional is a different matter though obviously.

• Like 1

Â