The Chairman Mao resembling, Monarchy hating, threat to Britain, Labour Party thread

Demitri_C

5 minutes ago, cheltenham_villa said:

I dont think ive seen any evidence that they were part of fraud.

Mone's VIP fast lane application for the contracts was fraudulent, it stated that PPE Medpro had extensive experience in the supply of PPE, it had none, in fact it hadn't even been incorporated as a company when the contracts were awarded.

• Like 4

Sir Keir Starmer says Labour is prepared to "ignore" local opposition and "bulldoze" planning rules to get more homes built in England

I’m not sure this is going to work. The Tories have been trying to ignore rules for years and they are still struggling to get houses built.

Link

10 minutes ago, bickster said:

Mone's VIP fast lane application for the contracts was fraudulent, it stated that PPE Medpro had extensive experience in the supply of PPE, it had none, in fact it hadn't even been incorporated as a company when the contracts were awarded.

A good example but also an example of an investigation that may recover funds so not necessarily the type of thing that Starmer is referring to which seems to be the lost billions. 

I dont personally believe the narrative that the central government would encourage fraud by their friends, i do believe incompetence may enable them to be exploited. Im undecided whether i think a labour government will be better at that.

7 minutes ago, cheltenham_villa said:

A good example but also an example of an investigation that may recover funds so not necessarily the type of thing that Starmer is referring to which seems to be the lost billions. 

I dont personally believe the narrative that the central government would encourage fraud by their friends, i do believe incompetence may enable them to be exploited. Im undecided whether i think a labour government will be better at that.

They were incompetent and exploited quite a few times, but luckily, only by political donors, friends, and family.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, sidcow said:

I'm really liking this nation owned green power company 

Will be a pleasant change to have UK PLC making money out of our power instead of France PLC 

i thought they'd dropped the nationalised energy thing.

Incidentally, when the conference voted in favour of energy nationalisation at conference the other day, I thought Starmer's reaction was quite telling, and quietly impressive: he didn't blink, he took no notice of an overwhelming vote by his party, simply said no, we won't be doing that and carried on with the plan he had in mind to start with - now you can argue (and I willingly would if that was the point I were making) that it's not very democratic of him to do that, and personally I disagree with him, I'd love to see at least parts of the energy industry and infrastructure renationalised - but his reaction as a leader was very good, he didn't flap, he didn't divert from his plan, he made sure people knew he believed in a different way and that he wouldn't be deterred from that way - no fuss, no argument, none of the mess we'd often associate with party squabbles - just a straight, no, we're doing this.

He remains a very effective politician and leader, I think he'll be a good statesman and represent the nation well on the international stage, and he's clearly a very capable politician - if he had any ambition in terms of policy or real desire for change, I'd be delighted with him. I have absolutely no doubt he'll get things done, even if I do think most of those things are a bit rubbish.

40 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

i thought they'd dropped the nationalised energy thing.

Incidentally, when the conference voted in favour of energy nationalisation at conference the other day, I thought Starmer's reaction was quite telling, and quietly impressive: he didn't blink, he took no notice of an overwhelming vote by his party, simply said no, we won't be doing that and carried on with the plan he had in mind to start with - now you can argue (and I willingly would if that was the point I were making) that it's not very democratic of him to do that, and personally I disagree with him, I'd love to see at least parts of the energy industry and infrastructure renationalised - but his reaction as a leader was very good, he didn't flap, he didn't divert from his plan, he made sure people knew he believed in a different way and that he wouldn't be deterred from that way - no fuss, no argument, none of the mess we'd often associate with party squabbles - just a straight, no, we're doing this.

He remains a very effective politician and leader, I think he'll be a good statesman and represent the nation well on the international stage, and he's clearly a very capable politician - if he had any ambition in terms of policy or real desire for change, I'd be delighted with him. I have absolutely no doubt he'll get things done, even if I do think most of those things are a bit rubbish.

I saw it was mentioned again, to be headquartered in Scotchland.  Which makes sense as they're streets ahead on windpower as they didn't have a ban. 

Plus a nice bit of Bribery for votes up there. Canny. 

Edited by sidcow

Ive been a critic of starmer but i like what he said today about new housing. He wont build ne homes without new GPs or schools.

The lack of new GPS being built when new housing estates are made is ridiculous. You just have more and more going go gps that already had too many patients registered with them

Definitely a thumbs up from me if he can deliver. The tricky part is recruiting the extra gps

13 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Ive been a critic of starmer but i like what he said today about new housing. He wont build ne homes without new GPs or schools.

The lack of new GPS being built when new housing estates are made is ridiculous. You just have more and more going go gps that already had too many patients registered with them

Definitely a thumbs up from me if he can deliver. The tricky part is recruiting the extra gps

And teachers.

It's a great move on paper. No new homes without adequate infrastructure for them. The problem is we have over 2,000 fewer GPs than we did 8 years ago, and we're losing more year on year.

Estimates suggest we're between 4-5,000 GPs short. We're about 25,000 teachers short to hit the government target. 

Even if they bump the numbers in the short term by talking people out of career changes or retirement, it's going to take many years to correct those numbers, so if the policy is "no new homes without new GPs or schools", the policy may as well be "no new homes".

Edited by Davkaus
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

And teachers.

It's a great move on paper. No new homes without adequate infrastructure for them. The problem is we have over 2,000 fewer GPs than we did 8 years ago, and we're losing more year on year.

Estimates suggest we're between 4-5,000 GPs short. We're about 25,000 teachers short to hit the government target. 

Even if they bump the numbers in the short term by talking people out of career changes or retirement, it's going to take many years to correct those numbers, so if the policy is "no new homes without new GPs or schools", the policy may as well be "no new homes".

Absolutely spot on and sort of where i was getting at. If you can't atrract the new GPs  your policy then means no new homes.

Its going to be very difficult 

I personally dont think we do enough as a country to encourage/appease young people to study medicine and become consultants/GPs. My wife recruits doctors and nurses from royal free andother  trusts.  She tells me most of them are coming from abroad and not many are actually living in the UK 

Again, once The Tories are out I'm sure we'll see a much more sensible approach to overseas skills being recruited, training and investment in the right areas. 

5 hours ago, Davkaus said:

And teachers.

I mentioned a few pages back that new build builders are already paying for new doctors, schools, dentists, shops, roads but the money just vanishes once handed over.

Starmer is basically saying he’s going to spend the money generated on the things it was supposed to be spent on.

A nice idea, but I’ll believe it when I see it.

36 minutes ago, Genie said:

I mentioned a few pages back that new build builders are already paying for new doctors, schools, dentists, shops, roads but the money just vanishes once handed over.

Starmer is basically saying he’s going to spend the money generated on the things it was supposed to be spent on.

A nice idea, but I’ll believe it when I see it.

Vanishes? To whom ? Is that money going to government  or a 3rd party?

3 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Vanishes? To whom ? Is that money going to government  or a 3rd party?

It’s money which goes to the council/government (on top of the cost of the land) to fund improvements with local facilities associated with more houses. However it just goes into the state bank accounts and isn’t spent on infrastructure. 

I should really try and dig out the paperwork for when we bought our house, there was several pages of itemised items the builder had to pay for.

Doctors, dentists, existing schools, new schools, roads, a plethora of sports and recreational items, it totalled millions and this is just one of the multiple new build developments ongoing here.

7 minutes ago, Genie said:

It’s money which goes to the council/government (on top of the cost of the land) to fund improvements with local facilities associated with more houses. However it just goes into the state bank accounts and isn’t spent on infrastructure. 

I should really try and dig out the paperwork for when we bought our house, there was several pages of itemised items the builder had to pay for.

Doctors, dentists, existing schools, new schools, roads, a plethora of sports and recreational items, it totalled millions and this is just one of the multiple new build developments ongoing here.

If the developer is savvy, and most developers have caught up with this now, they will have a time limit written into the agreement. Here’s £200k contribution to a doctor’s surgery. If it isn’t built within 4 years the money is returnable.

The state of this.

Some senior shadow ministers also want the word “green” dropped from the plan, and to label it instead as “Labour’s prosperity plan to boost investment and jobs”, because party polling about its “green” messaging has not been positive.

Some Labour MPs and frontbenchers fear the lack of radicalism and the tendency towards caution could backfire. One frontbencher said: “I see what they are trying to do. But there is a danger there: that the electorate don’t give us any credit for being so cautious, and simply think we have nothing at all to say.”

Grauniad

When interviewed by the BBC during the Labour conference, Starmer was presented with a word cloud of what words people most used in describing him. The biggest one? 'Nothing'.

What a **** shit party.

*Breaks out the party poppers at how brilliant this is politically. Besides which the Tories have been so bad you can't have better anyway, which is the same shit line the Tories peddled for a decade that got criticised and drove everyone spare for the whole time, but now we have to sagely nod and clap because a red tie is saying it*

*Blows brains out*

7 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

An awful lot of people that don’t pay that much attention are going to be very disappointed with how their next vote turns out.

Not really, they don’t pay attention and will continue to not pay attention until something directly affects them. 

Just now, bickster said:

Not really, they don’t pay attention and will continue to not pay attention until something directly affects them. 

Yes exactly, and then they’ll declare to their facebook friends and to the lady on the check out that all politicians are the same. Having voted for more of the same.

Â