Summer Speculation 2015

lexicon

I agree, David De Gea moving to Real will likely cause a goalkeeping merry go round, so if Tim has decided he wants a keeper its best to prioritise that before the madnesses begin's.

Aston Villa’s offer for Asmir Begovic has been dismissed as derisory by Stoke City.

Stoke rate the Bosnia goalkeeper from £8 million to £10 million, but it is understood that Villa’s bid was around half of that valuation.

Begovic has just 12 months left on his deal at the Britannia Stadium and has offered no signs that he is willing to sign another one.

Stoke are determined to stop him leaving for free next summer, but are adamant that he will not be sold cheaply during this transfer window.

Chelsea are also keen on Begovic, but the player is worried about how much first-team football he would receive as understudy to Thibaut Courtois.

Villa could offer guaranteed first-team football, yet Begovic had been keen to join a side playing European football. A move across the Midlands would therefore amount to a surprise.

Sherwood has already persuaded Micah Richards to join this summer, as he looks to rebuild Villa into an established Barclays Premier League club after narrow escapes from relegation in each of the past five seasons.

Richards looks set to be a direct replacement for Ron Vlaar, who now looks increasingly unlikely to agree fresh terms with Villa.

Southampton, Sunderland and Newcastle are all keen on the Holland defender, who has also held talks with Besiktas, the Turkish side.

Let's assume it was half of the £10m. That's merely an opening offer and it's not a million miles from £8m. We might get him yet!

I don't mind the goalkeeper position being sorted before other priorities.

It's if it gets sorted instead of other positions that worries me.

Especially when it doesn't really need to be sorted.

Which we can only know when the window closes. But rather than wait, people are just irrationally assuming that by buying [insert name of someone who isn't a leftback] that Sherwood is somehow doing something wrong. It's an amazing leap of 'logic'.

Well, like I said, it's a position that doesn't need sorting. That in itself is wrong, imo.

And I'd be very (pleasantly) surprised if we sorted all the areas of the team that need sorting, as I expect it would cost at least £50m and probably 7-10 players.

So I really don't think it's an amazing leap whatsoever.

Well, like I said, it's a position that doesn't need sorting. That in itself is wrong, imo.

And I'd be very (pleasantly) surprised if we sorted all the areas of the team that need sorting, as I expect it would cost at least £50m and probably 7-10 players.

So I really don't think it's an amazing leap whatsoever.

With regards to sorting everything, that is true, although by 'sorting' we mean sorting within what Sherwood believes needs it. The fact we finished the season with no clear number one keeper would suggest he doesn't have categoric faith in one over the other, which could mean he fancies neither and puts keeper higher in his list than some would have it in theirs.  So he might disagree that it doesn't need sorting.

FWIW I completely agree that LB needs to be sorted, but I'd be amazed if it wasn't, and as long as the incoming signings are better than what's here and the outgoings are there or thereabouts the ones that need shipping then I think we'll be alright.

Bit of an odd move really considering he wants European football.

That's the problem for him seemingly. He expected more interest and passed the point of no return with Stoke in that belief. Now he finds himself in the position whereby being a benchwarmer at Chelsea is the only 'big' move on the table.

I've always thought it's hard to judge the quality of a keeper when they play for a poor team. They could lose 3-0 yet be MOTM. Keepers are expecting me to make saves. For me top keepers are the ones that take pressure away from defences. Claim crosses, sweep up through balls etc. also ones that have good levels of concentration when called upon after doing nothing for large periods of the game.

Exampleof keepers who built a reputation from paying for poor teams is Carson. An example of a keeper who has suffered at a big club is Sczeny (excuse the spelling). I bet you if the latter played for a relegation battling team he would be regarding as a top keeper.

I don't mind the goalkeeper position being sorted before other priorities.

It's if it gets sorted instead of other positions that worries me.

Especially when it doesn't really need to be sorted.

Which we can only know when the window closes. But rather than wait, people are just irrationally assuming that by buying [insert name of someone who isn't a leftback] that Sherwood is somehow doing something wrong. It's an amazing leap of 'logic'.

Being the one who made the LB comment, in my defence it was only for the sake of hyperbole to make the point that I think GK to be probably the one area of our squad that doesn't need much investment if any.

Being the one who made the LB comment, in my defence it was only for the sake of hyperbole to make the point that I think GK to be probably the one area of our squad that doesn't need much investment if any.

Just so you know, I wasn't picking out individuals :) The logic applies to a lot of signings. People have their own list whatever order it might be in and you'll often see people giving out when a signing doesn't match their list. Or alternatively if someone on their list signs for another team despite us not actualy being in for him.

We can probably receive a good fee for Guzan if he were sold to an MLS club, as I would expect to happen.

I wonder if we seriously want Begovic whether we could just put him in a swap deal.

I always assumed with Guzan that we'd sign a younger inexperienced keeper this summer e.g. someone who's cheap) so I think in that situation Brad would still fancy his chances of being number one and sticking round.

However if we sign Begovic it's clear he'd be the undisputed number one so yeah in that situation I would expect Guzan to move on swiftly and Given can warm the bench and play the cup games.

Jack Butland is still raw and played about 10 premier league games so he's someone you can see having a difficult period at some stage next season. Is Sorensen still there or has he retired?

I wonder if we seriously want Begovic whether we could just put him in a swap deal.

I always assumed with Guzan that we'd sign a younger inexperienced keeper this summer e.g. someone who's cheap) so I think in that situation Brad would still fancy his chances of being number one and sticking round.

However if we sign Begovic it's clear he'd be the undisputed number one so yeah in that situation I would expect Guzan to move on swiftly and Given can warm the bench and play the cup games.

Jack Butland is still raw and played about 10 premier league games so he's someone you can see having a difficult period at some stage next season. Is Sorensen still there or has he retired?

It seems that Butland is the No. 1 now. Signed a new long-term contract not long ago and wasn't going to wait around being an understudy forever. I think Guzan will only leave for a club where he will be first-choice and rightly so.

Daniel Ainsworth, Telegraph editor, claimed on Twitter that we enquired about Llorente - although the player wasn't interested. He eludes to our 'ambition'.

Aston Villa’s offer for Asmir Begovic has been dismissed as derisory by Stoke City.

Stoke rate the Bosnia goalkeeper from £8 million to £10 million, but it is understood that Villa’s bid was around half of that valuation.

Begovic has just 12 months left on his deal at the Britannia Stadium and has offered no signs that he is willing to sign another one.

Stoke are determined to stop him leaving for free next summer, but are adamant that he will not be sold cheaply during this transfer window.

Chelsea are also keen on Begovic, but the player is worried about how much first-team football he would receive as understudy to Thibaut Courtois.

Villa could offer guaranteed first-team football, yet Begovic had been keen to join a side playing European football. A move across the Midlands would therefore amount to a surprise.

Sherwood has already persuaded Micah Richards to join this summer, as he looks to rebuild Villa into an established Barclays Premier League club after narrow escapes from relegation in each of the past five seasons.

Richards looks set to be a direct replacement for Ron Vlaar, who now looks increasingly unlikely to agree fresh terms with Villa.

Southampton, Sunderland and Newcastle are all keen on the Holland defender, who has also held talks with Besiktas, the Turkish side.

Let's assume it was half of the £10m. That's merely an opening offer and it's not a million miles from £8m. We might get him yet!

£4/5m would be great business.