The Tim Sherwood Thread

OutByEaster?

not a smart decision with the high line today, especially as in okore you have a player who has no idea what they are doing positionally, and in vlaar someone who cannot organise a back 4.

players didnt help though with some shocking individual errors

Especially? ill be amazed if you legit thought that before today

Edited by gharperr

I look at the goals and individual mistakes are worse than the high line. We've lost the midfield battle because all 3 have played very poorly more than the tactical approach.

It's not a huge shock that you place little blame at the manager's door ;)

Ironic really :)

That's a pretty insulting post.

Myself and three out of the four guys I watched that with agree with his views.....perfectly valid thoughts.

The tactics were the same as previous games  - the players have been playing out of their skins for the last 10 games, but today they looked tired and jaded. It was the players today, not the manager.

Vlaar and Okore were terrible, they got bullied and look like amateurs. The midfield were sloppy and looked slow. Benteke didn't get involved in the game as he has previously.

Going forward, we were just lumping it long to Benteke - none of the incisive passing from previous weeks. We slipped back into Lambert style, sideways passing, no movement.

Hopefully Hull lose today and then it doesn't matter. Tim can then give everyone a free run at Burnley with no pressure, and he could literally pick any combination of players - today's game means no-one has a guaranteed place in the team (other than Benteke).

Just saw Tim's interview on BT Sport - I think he handled it very well.

Great post, couldn't agree more.

Gets on my nerves how some fans absolutely cannot wait for any opportunity to come out with the tactics thing against the Manager.

He has a way he wants to play, and varies it as he sees fit. Do you really think he hasn't read the same tactics manuals as you and a few Spurs fans ?

Every Manager on the planet has days when stuff works and days when it doesn't..I could list examples from the whole season, right up to Guadiola the other night.

For me, anyone can criticise tactics of any game ( I think the players were the main problem today) but to make the jump from that to suggesting it is a character flaw is perverse.

His tactics were shite today and led to us losing 6-1, he deserves to be criticised for that. It's strange that it bothers you when people rightly point out that he got it wrong today.
  • Like 1

Can you give a brief recap? They almost never show post-match interviews here.

First half was the only bad performance since he has taken over

One bad 45 mins in the last couple of months isn't too bad in the grand scheme of things, but it was very poor

He doesn't need to tell the players they were poor today, they know themselves

We need to win next and need to win the cup final

We feel sorry for the fans and have let them down today

It is not just the defence to blame, the blame is shared between all the players and the manager - we are in this together.

(not word for word)

Edited by GeordieVillan
  • Like 1

The tactics were the same as previous games

That's an issue if it's true (which I don't think it is) as any decent manager will adjust their tactics based on the opponent.

Every Manager on the planet has days when stuff works and days when it doesn't..I could list examples from the whole season, right up to Guadiola the other night.

People were totally right to pan Guardiola for the other night just the same as people are right to criticise sherwood for today.

Not really sure of your point.

My point is spelt out in the first and last paragraph.

Cant help it if you can't see it.

I look at the goals and individual mistakes are worse than the high line. We've lost the midfield battle because all 3 have played very poorly more than the tactical approach.

Have a look at the half a dozen or so chances in the first half that almost resulted in goals too - they're all the same.

I like him, i think he's a good manager, but he's still got things to learn and today he was rubbish.

Agreed but they didn't score all those chances.  I'm not arguing he got things spot on today, I'm just saying for the goals we conceded individual errors played more of a part.

I think most of us can agree that (1) We like Tim Sherwood and he's done a great job so far while (2) he did get the tactics wrong today*.

*High line or not. Hutton is not a left-back, N'Zogbia should have come off a lot earlier. Maybe even change Westwood for Sanchez at the half hour mark.  

Edited by Fab
  • Like 1

Myself and three out of the four guys I watched that with agree with his views.....perfectly valid thoughts.

No if you were critical of lambert it means you have to be very critical of every manager when the team loses now.  That's how it works. You're not allowed to look at the different situations.

• Like 1

That's an issue if it's true (which I don't think it is) as any decent manager will adjust their tactics based on the opponent.

People were totally right to pan Guardiola for the other night just the same as people are right to criticise sherwood for today.

Perhaps if you read the paragraph after the one you've quoted ?

I saw your point.

It's strange.

By your logic, nobody is ever allowed to criticise any manager about tactics because they're managers and we're lowly fans.

• Like 1

One bad 45 mins in the last couple of months isn't too bad in the grand scheme of things, but it was very poor

It is not just the defence to blame, the blame is shared between all the players and the manager - we are in this together.

(not word for word)

Well done tim handled well

No if you were critical of lambert it means you have to be very critical of every manager when the team loses now.  That's how it works. You're not allowed to look at the different situations.

Seems so yet as I recall apart from BigJohn and Morpheus Lambo got virtually 100 % support through most his first season.

I know I supported him unequivocally for nearly two seasons, without ever seeing performances like I have under Sherwood.

But I guess people read that Norwich fans liked him, whereas this time they've read that some Spurs fans didn't rate him.

(not word for word)

Cheers for the summary. Sounds pretty balanced.

• Like 1

(not word for word)

We have had other bad performances other than the first half today.We were bad for the first half vs Swansea and could of easily let in 3 or 4 goals and didn't improve much in the second half and the second half vs Newcastle they dominated us which doesn't look too good now considering how shit they have been since that result.

I'd like a bit more diversity in sherwoods management and would like us to change things up a bit more depending on the opposition rather than sticking to the same tactics for entire games when it ain't working.

I saw your point.

It's strange.

By your logic, nobody is ever allowed to criticise any manager about tactics because they're managers and we're lowly fans.

If you saw it why say you didn't !!!

And you've missed it anyway.

I clearly say anyone can criticise tactics, but the jump some are so keen to make from that to suggesting the Manager is, therefore, tactically weak, is perverse.

I haven't suggested what you say I have at all !!!

Â