The Tim Sherwood Thread

OutByEaster?

Sherwood was lined up weeks before Lambert got sacked "apparently"

So i doubt nobody else was even considered

If that is true then it makes the delay in sacking Lambert even more disgraceful. I am sure Sherwood would have loved a transfer window.

as I said in thread a few weeks back I think Fox wanted Lambert gone a long time ago and probably Lerner was holding him back for a while and had to go to USA to officially get permission to sack him, which is why it was done over the phone

I would imagine Fox was talking to a few people (managers, agents, members of other club's boards, other industry professionals), and probably for some time.  

Think about any other business you've been involved with where a deal is potential up for grabs in the future, or a project is in the works.  Just through business contacts and social circles a lot of informal talks happen.  Even if Randy was yet to give the nod, he (Fox) would have had a fairly solid idea of who was available and interested - so the speed doesn't surprise me, and "interest" doesn't necessarily mean someone faxed their CV over with a nice cover letter.

Like in any other business, I'd guess it's not all done with official telegrams bearing the Aston Villa coat of arms.

Edited by Vancvillan

With hindsight, Sherwood was so clearly lined up for the job given his appearances at Villa games this season, no way that's a coincidence, why on earth would he be watching us otherwise, certainly not for leisurely pursuits. Then the speed he was appointed - within a week we had a new manager, new assistant and a new head coach - this has been planned for a while.

With hindsight, Sherwood was so clearly lined up for the job given his appearances at Villa games this season, no way that's a coincidence, why on earth would he be watching us otherwise, certainly not for leisurely pursuits. Then the speed he was appointed - within a week we had a new manager, new assistant and a new head coach - this has been planned for a while.

I certainly would hope they come up with someone better if it had been planned in advance.

To me after Hull -it was 'oh shite hes gotta go - who available....oh -Tim sherwood'

be very worried if it was strategic decision to recruit a very inexperienced manager, to fight a relegation battle - very late on in the season......

• Like 3

Fair do's - could be read either way - had it been Faulkner I would never have dreamed of some forward planning, Fox though, I remember his statement on Lambert's extension, he almost disowned the decision. In terms of quality of manager - I would have loved someone with at least a season under their belts - but with the sale looming, I just don't know who would have had the motivation to take the job, other than some desperado/egotist convinced their own star quality would all but guarantee continued employment under new owners. I don't know if anyone worth anything would have taken it last summer either, again with the sale looming - I'm convinced they begged Lambert to do it - even Lambert's daughter tweeted he was offski. As ever, all guesswork to prompt discussion.

I certainly would hope they come up with someone better if it had been planned in advance.

To me after Hull -it was 'oh shite hes gotta go - who available....oh -Tim sherwood'

be very worried if it was strategic decision to recruit a very inexperienced manager, to fight a relegation battle - very late on in the season......

I absolutely believe 100% that this was premeditated, it all happened way too quickly.  Saying we had "unbelievable" levels of interest is just a load of media spin to make us out to be more appealable than we are, I'm sure I could count on my fingers the amount of quality managers who would actually want our managers job given the remit.

But I actually see it as a slight positive.  I believe that Tom Fox is obviously tasked with doing the best he can with what he's got, and that's what he tries to do.  When he could see that lambert wasn't working, I'm sure he must have gone out with his manifesto and took some advice on who would be best...given the strict working conditions they would have to work against.  The net result of some of that background research was Tim, and he was quickly ushered in once he got the green light.

So, it's probably a little bit naive of me, but in my head I need to justify such a crazy move - and one hopes that through surrounding himself by people that are in the know, and getting a better insight into Tims work whilst not being a manager that he saw something of value to us.  One can only hope!

What I need to see this saturday is 1) a win and 2) a marked improvement of attitude from the players he chooses to go on the pitch.

• Like 1

I absolutely believe 100% that this was premeditated, it all happened way too quickly.  Saying we had "unbelievable" levels of interest is just a load of media spin to make us out to be more appealable than we are, I'm sure I could count on my fingers the amount of quality managers who would actually want our managers job given the remit.

He didn't say it to the media (not saying it wasn't spin though)

The more pre-meditated the appointment was, the less impressive it is.

If they'd been planning this for a while then I'd seriously question why Tim Sherwood was the man they came up with (at this stage. He may prove to be an excellent appointment. But without that foresight that's where I stand)

I also don't think Tom Fox would give a very public interview and tell us that there was no way he'd sack the manager and he hadn't even considered it if he was planning on sacking him.

Not saying he wouldn't back the manager, but I think he'd have given himself a way out of that statement because he looks a bit silly having sacked him a couple of weeks later.

One thing's for sure it now appears, Lambert and Fox didn't get on. Whether Lambert saw Sherwood in the stands and thought Fox was manouvering, or whether that was plain paranoia and Sherwood just innocently fancied watching a nailed on 0-0 those afternoons, shall never be known. What I hate most at the moment is not knowing if Sherwood is the messiah or the grim reaper - I"ve never been so impatient.   

even though sherwood was not my first choice, but he has been thrown in the deep end. a team struggling to score, confidence at and all time low and several players out of form

If we go down its not his fault. i would say its 40% lerner and fox for not pulling the trigger sooner and 60% lambert as he chose the team, tactics he got us in this position.

im sure sherwood will turn this around, i dont know why but i have a feeling he will

• Like 1

He didn't say it to the media (not saying it wasn't spin though)

The more pre-meditated the appointment was, the less impressive it is.

If they'd been planning this for a while then I'd seriously question why Tim Sherwood was the man they came up with (at this stage. He may prove to be an excellent appointment. But without that foresight that's where I stand)

Yeah, I'm only quoting that unbelievable bit from what someone else said here...however it got out, if it was even said at all, it's just spin on the situation IMO.

Well that's the unknown, the logic, I'm always questioning "why Tim"...which is why I'd like to think that having planned it for some time, he has been privy to something that us as fans aren't.  Such as talking to people who have worked with him behind the scenes, who are some way able to vouch for the work he's done with players whilst not being a full on manager in the public view.  Just hoping on the stuff behind closed doors was part of the plan...

All I want from him this season is to keep us up, however dirty it looks...whatever it takes, just find the best group of fighters and battle through to secure premier league status.  He'll have my 100% support for that.

Then next season, he's free to try his own thing with less pressure...and I won't even expect a huge improvement immediately.  Just signs of new ideas making the small improvements and small steps to going up the league a litte.

Just read how Sherwood has made the U21 training go on right next to the first team so he can see both sessions and call any of the U21 over to join the first team training sessions. 

Lets hope he gives some of the youth a chance over some of the half arsed shitheads in the first team.

• Like 3

Just read how Sherwood has made the U21 training go on right next to the first team so he can see both sessions and call any of the U21 over to join the first team training sessions. 

Lets hope he gives some of the youth a chance over some of the half arsed shitheads in the first team.

Yeah the U21'S have been flying this season haven't they ? :)

• Like 4

There's no wrong time either if the manager genuinely believes that one of the U21 guys will offer something to the team that one of the senior players can't/won't.

Exactly. The current players might have experience over them but if they aren't doing the business then that experience counts for nothing.

• Like 1

Â