Formula One - 2015 edition

BOF

• 1 month later...

Whoever made that call to bring in Lewis needs to be sacked. Even if the gap was big enough, with 10 laps left and rosberg being second best all weekend there was no way rosberg was going to het infront of Lewis after the safety car.

Absolutely infuriating seeing rosberg celebrate like that, as if he had passed Lewis through a brilliant bit of driving. Dick head

Whoever made that call to bring in Lewis needs to be sacked. Even if the gap was big enough, with 10 laps left and rosberg being second best all weekend there was no way rosberg was going to het infront of Lewis after the safety car.

Absolutely infuriating seeing rosberg celebrate like that, as if he had passed Lewis through a brilliant bit of driving. Dick head

It really was a terrible decision. Clearly they were worried the Ferrari would pit and potentially jump them both with fresh tyres (very unlikely at Monaco) but even still, to cover off that threat you'd pit the 2nd place man not the leader. Very odd.

It really was a terrible decision. Clearly they were worried the Ferrari would pit and potentially jump them both with fresh tyres (very unlikely at Monaco) but even still, to cover off that threat you'd pit the 2nd place man not the leader. Very odd.
Even if Ferrari did pit they would still have been 3rd with vettell, even on new rubber over taking I impossible at Monaco, it would have made a difference if Ferrari did pit and Lewis stayed out.

The really infuriating thing was nico celebrating how he did, the sideways glance and shit eating grin he kept given lewis on the podium.

Edited by Jimzk5
  • Like 1

Seems to lack a bit of class, Mr Rosberg. Probably because he's a bit shit. Given how he basically had to be handed the victory despite being over 20 seconds down, you'd have thought he'd have kept it a bit low key.

I agree about Rosberg, in the same league as Button. Can bash out quick laps in a very quick car but never seems to drag the car up the field further than it deserves to be like people such as Vettel, Alonso, Kimi and Lewis do at times.

• 2 weeks later...

Just how, with one of the biggest budgets in racing, and Honda, with all their decades of expertise in manufacturing managed to make a car that is as reliable as the Grenada I had when i passed driving test.

Just how, with one of the biggest budgets in racing, and Honda, with all their decades of expertise in manufacturing managed to make a car that is as reliable as the Grenada I had when i passed driving test.

Yep, and it sounds like Alonso is now fed up of towing the line. The in-car rant he had over the radio was basically two fingers up to McLaren/Honda/Dennis, and has basically meant that any 'positive' PR that comes out of McLaren now will be taken with an even bigger pinch of salt than it has before. They are in a mess.....

• Like 1

Alonso must surely be wondering why he went to McLaren, it's not even just a bad season, they haven't won a race since the end of, 2012 they've finished on the podium just once since then & now they have been in the points just once so far this season and based on the performance so far they ain't getting in them againany time soon, Its progressively got worse over the last 4 seasons.

As for that race, the Canadian gp is usually one of the best races of the season, that was a snooze fest, the highlight was kimi spinning.

Two p**sed off drivers, an engine made of chocolate with limited tokens to improve it, no title sponsor, and a car that at times has been really dangerous to drive.They have been through reasonably bad spells before (the Ford/Peugeot cars in the mid-90's), but have always had the talent to maximise the car and pick up results. They now have two world champions that are struggling to keep ahead of two rookies in a year old Marussia.

I have no doubt they will mount a comeback, but once Button and Alonso's contracts are up, are they going to be able to attract the right drivers to make the most of it? If you look at the young talent on the grid now (Bottas, Sainz, Kvyat etc) would any of them see a move to McLaren as being a positive career move at the moment? 

The race was dull today, the Ericsson Massa overtake was a phenomenal bit of driving from both parties though. 

Mclaren are a joke, Hamilton in his 2/3 seasons before he left dragged that car up to positions where it didn't deserve to finish with Button for the most of the time finishing behind him. Perez and Magnussen were never the correct drivers  for a team fighting to get back to the top and Button is not good enough to do it either. 

The whole team is a complete mess and it will be a while before the start even getting close to the top let alone winning races. 

I actually really enjoyed that race.  The only boring part was the two Mercs up front.  I enjoyed Vettel carving through the field.  The Toro Rosso/Red Bull battles and there always seemed to be someone overtaking or attacking.  I was also hoping that the rare lack of a safety car would; in itself; cause a bit of chaos later in the race when the teams who had no doubt factored one into their calculations would be marginal on fuel and very critical on brakes.  But alas nothing major went wrong.

As for McLaren.  I think their travails this season show us exactly how complicated the modern F1 car is.  They're having a woeful time of it not only in terms of speed and competitiveness but also reliability.  They've ticked no boxes yet.  If McLaren and Honda can't get a job done between them then you know this thing; this modern F1 car; is way too complicated.  It's one thing being the pinnacle of motorsport, but let the damn teams develop then.  You have Renault now threatening to leave in 2017 if they're not allowed to even attempt to bridge the performance gap to Ferrari and Mercedes.  And I don't blame them.  Why pump tens of millions into a sport that completely ties your hands regarding development, meaning you have to pay your money and shut your mouth whilst parading around in midtable.  It's a ridiculous situation for a sport to be in from a regulations point of view.

I actually really enjoyed that race.  The only boring part was the two Mercs up front.  I enjoyed Vettel carving through the field.  The Toro Rosso/Red Bull battles and there always seemed to be someone overtaking or attacking.  I was also hoping that the rare lack of a safety car would; in itself; cause a bit of chaos later in the race when the teams who had no doubt factored one into their calculations would be marginal on fuel and very critical on brakes.  But alas nothing major went wrong.

As for McLaren.  I think their travails this season show us exactly how complicated the modern F1 car is.  They're having a woeful time of it not only in terms of speed and competitiveness but also reliability.  They've ticked no boxes yet.  If McLaren and Honda can't get a job done between them then you know this thing; this modern F1 car; is way too complicated.  It's one thing being the pinnacle of motorsport, but let the damn teams develop then.  You have Renault now threatening to leave in 2017 if they're not allowed to even attempt to bridge the performance gap to Ferrari and Mercedes.  And I don't blame them.  Why pump tens of millions into a sport that completely ties your hands regarding development, meaning you have to pay your money and shut your mouth whilst parading around in midtable.  It's a ridiculous situation for a sport to be in from a regulations point of view.

Doesn't that just sound like football under FFP.

Edited by DK82

Doesn't that just sound like football under FFP.

It might sound like it but it's not really the same.

By coming midtable in football you still get a very healthy income commensurate to your finishing position. That's not the case in F1. Coming midtable in F1 gets you buttons compared to your costs.  You will never come even close to breaking even. The prize-winning in F1 is loaded towards the top teams to the point where the minnows are on the brink of taking Bernie to court (again) to try and re-draw the terms.  That doesn't even take into account that before a race has started, some teams are 'more equal than others' and are guaranteed a bigger pot regardless of where they finish.  So your outgoing are huge in order to come midtable but your income is not.

In football it is at least possible to overperform beyond your budget.  In F1 you are basically as fast as your budget is big.  Or you get yourself the latest greatest power unit and skip up the grid that way (I'm looking at you Williams).

In F1 you spend every penny that you possibly can (not including manufacturer teams whose pockets are theoretically bottomless).  Your budget is driven by as much sponsorship as you can get and you are trying to progress the team up the grid whilst losing as little money as you can year on year.  All while the FIA tries to make it as unreasonably difficult as they can on everyone with their development restrictions.

In football teams don't spend literally every penny that they possibly can.  They budget within their means (mostly) and can and do make an income because sponsorship is not the be all and end all of their existence.

And even in a scenario where both FFP and F1 were the same thing, it still wouldn't make either of them the right thing to do.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
Â