Formula One - 2015 edition

BOF

Oh don't get me wrong a lack of competition is terrible for the sport, whoever is winning.

Just think that Horner complaining that someone else's car is quicker having watched his own team stuff everyone else out of sight for 4 years is a little disingenuous.

Just think that Horner complaining that someone else's car is quicker having watched his own team stuff everyone else out of sight for 4 years is a little disingenuous.

Yeah it's a bit rich. It was fine when the aerodynamics regulations were lacks and he had Adrian Newey designing the best car. Now that it's only about the engine and Renault don't care about F1 he's moaning that Mercedes can outspend everyone and build the best engine.  

F1 is a terrible spectacle and has gone way too far down the technology line. It's painfully boring to watch and I hope it dies a quick death.

Unbelievable from christian Horner, saying its bad for formula 1 to have 1 team dominating every year and engines should be a standard for every team

Wasn't saying that when red bull were boring the arse off everyone for 4 years, he did say that red bull were not as dominant as Mercedes are now but that's bollocks

2 seconds a lap faster than most of the field and lapping everyone outside the top 5. Red Bull had it good - but never as good as Mercedes does now.

Yes, it's sour grapes from Horner but considering the amount of times Red Bull got pinged for innovation during their dominance, he has a point.

They were never pinged for innovation, they exploited loopholes like using double diffusers when they were technically already banned, same with flexible body work

Red bulls problem should be solely with Renault, nothing to do with Mercedes performance, simple fact is Mercedes have spent vast amounts of money and have over a hundred people doing r&d work on these hybrid engines, Renault made a lot of people redundant in their motor sport branch at the time Mercedes were doing their r&d

Red bulls problem should be solely with Renault, nothing to do with Mercedes performance, simple fact is Mercedes have spent vast amounts of money and have over a hundred people doing r&d work on these hybrid engines, Renault made a lot of people redundant in their motor sport branch at the time Mercedes were doing their r&d

I am very slightly 'ITK' and whilst I am never likely to ever know any technical 'advantage' information (or reveal it if I did!), I do know that Mercedes F1 have been working shifts to cover their research, development, manufacturing and technical support, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. In contrast, the last I heard, Renault were working normal midweek daytime shifts, rarely working on Saturdays and never working on Sundays.

You'd think with the money and ambition that red bull have they would have got a more committed engine partner.

Edit: saying that, they probably couldn't get a Mercedes or Ferrari power so Renault may be best of the rest.

Edited by Genie

Horner has a point about F1 as a whole but is the last person to be making that complaint as he wasnt exactly forthcoming in the years Redbull had it all stitched up.

Its going to another year where Mercedez will stroll it, they lapped every car bar the three just behind them on Sunday and I think McLaren are still running they were that slow.

F1 is not in a good way at the moment, One maybe two teams who stand a chance of winning anything Caterham have gone, Morussia are clinging on, Force India are just about staying afloat while Red Bull and McLaren look like being among the also rans.

I wonder how Alonso felt on Sunday evening.........

Mercedes team have the best 'package' not just the engine. If it was all about there engine Merc would be have all the top places.

Mercedes don't give the same version of their engine to the other teams. Only Mercedes has the "works" engine the rest get a customer version. The differences in aerodynamics etc. are quite minimal for all the teams given the tight regulations on what you can change (according to Adrian Newey).

Edited by villa89

Same Engines yet Williams 1.4 seconds slower per lap

After dominating the Australian Grand Prix, Mercedes has hit back at claims it is not supplying the same specification of engine to its Formula 1 customers.

In Australia, Williams’ Felipe Massa was the fastest non-works Mercedes driver in qualifying, but the gap to Lewis Hamilton’s pole time was a massive 1.4 seconds.

Brazilian Massa admitted he suspects Mercedes might be supplying inferior equipment to its Grove-based customer.

“If we have the same engine the difference should be in the car,” he said. “I hope we have the same engine. I believe we have the same engine, so it’s the car.”

“Maybe,” said Massa.

That was on Saturday. After the race, Massa admitted he still has his doubts. “I cannot say 100 per cent” that the engines in the Mercedes and the Williams are the same, he is quoted as saying.

According to Mercedes’ engine boss Andy Cowell, however, the works and customer engines are exactly the same.

“They all have the same engines,” he is quoted by Speed Week. “Firstly, that way the engineers are able to learn the most, and secondly, we owe that (service) to our customers.”

“Third,” Cowell explained, “it would be too costly from a parts point of view to go around with different engine specifications.”

Didnt McLaren say last year that they had the same engine but it was impossible to get the best out of it without the knowledge from the people who made it?

That's sounds wrong but I'm no expert. Also how would McClaren know they are getting the same engine as the one that's in the Mercedes? It would be easier for Mercedes to just sell a poorer version of the engine to other teams (which I believe they do).Either way you don't need to be a genius to work out that Mercedes will keep the best for themselves and ensure that they have an advantage for their own drivers, thus maintaining their dominance and helping in making the sport the farce that it is.

Edited by villa89

No German Grand Prix 

The German Grand Prix looks unlikely to go ahead at all in 2015 after the Nurburgring confirmed it cannot host the event scheduled to take place on July 19.

The Germany race has been in doubt since the calendar for 2015 was announced, with the venue initially listed as 'To Be Announced' due to ongoing financial troubles at the Nurburgring circuit.

F1 boss Bernie Ecclestone then said the race would be held at Hockenheim again this year, ending the alternating deal it has with Nurburgring which started in 2007.

But Hockenheim said this week it is unable to host the race, citing the lack of time to organise the event and low forecasted ticket sales

Nurburgring has confirmed it is in the same position and is now looking at hosting a non-F1 event over that weekend.

Edited by Bradd92

Its nice to see Alonso has picked up where he left off with Mclaren last time he was on the payroll....

Fernando Alonso has rejected McLaren's claims his pre-season testing crash was not caused by mechanical failure.

The double world champion, who missed the opening race in Australia earlier this month with concussion following the accident on 22 February, insists it was caused by a steering problem.

The Spaniard's comments reopen the debate about why the incident happened.

McLaren have said they found no evidence that anything went wrong with the car.

Speaking after being given permission by doctors to return to action at this weekend's race in Malaysia, Alonso also:

•denied reports he had been knocked out following the crash

•said he did lose consciousness but that was down to medication

•rejected claims he thought he was 15 when he regained consciousness

•said speculation about his health was not helped by statements by McLaren and his management

•rejected suggestions from Ron Dennis that his car may have been affected by a gust of wind.

The 33-year-old had to pass a fitness test to convince F1's medics he is fit enough to race again this weekend.

But he was keen to set a few things straight about his high-profile crash.

Alonso said the steering "locked to the right" as he rounded Turn Three at the Circuit de Barcelona-Catalunya.

"I approached the wall, I braked in the last moment, I downshifted," he said. "After the hit, I was kissing the wall for a while. I switched off the radio and then the master switch and then the Ers (hybrid system).

We know who is going to win this weekend, its worth tuning in just to see Ron Dennis try and talk his way out of this :D

Edited by Genie

yeah, mercs were very casual and conservative in qualifying, used better tyres unnecessarily and I don't think they needed to come in that early in the first safety car, but the Ferrari was very quick to be fair, so it looks like we may actually have a battle on our hands this year. 

Â