Formula One - 2015 edition

BOF

• 2 weeks later...

Something is wrong at Mclaren. Alonso had a crash in one of the pre-season tests and was taken to hospital as standard procedure. He then spent an abnormally long time in hospital for the injuries we were told about.

He is now going to miss the first race of the season which will have been three weeks after the initial crash, bit odd. Also another thing that is odd, is that Mclaren blamed the crash on a gust of a wind. A gust of a wind FFS! 

And the fact that the crash didn't even look that bad, i've seen worse watching Grand Prix's.

.Fernando-Alonso-3.jpg

That car doesn't look like anything you would expect a F1 car to look like if it had a serious crash. Something is just not right.

• Like 2

It does seem strange that they are taking so much precaution with this but its probably linked to all the recent goings on.

I remember that race where Webber literally took off over someones car, horrible accident but he basically gave the thumbs up and strolled away and then i think was driving in the next race.

I read that the reason Alonso is not racing in Australia is just a precaution because although his current health is good, if he was to get another concussion in the short period to the last one it could be very dangerous.

A crash doesn't have to look bad for it to have bad consequences. Similarly a crash can look absolutely catastrophic and the driver can walk away.

Look at Dale Earnhardt's death for example. Sometimes things don't look bad and they are

From what I read about the crash,

because of the angle of the impact, only a lateral force was put on the suspension arms, and as they are not designed to work or break in that direction, during that kind of impact the full force of the crash is transferred through the car, with the driver(Alonso) taking the brunt of it.

So basically just because you can't see the result of him hitting the wall, it doesn't mean the forces from the crash aren't still there.

Evening all, 

I play a thing called "Superbru", what it is, is a social sports prediction game. What you have to do is, usually predict who gets pole, the top 10, and the fastest lap. I have been playing this game in a pool for the last few years now, and it does get pretty intense. It also adds extra spice to the race weekend. You would have to get your predictions in before qualifying starts or you won't be able to get the points for pole, which at the end of the season could make the difference between winning the whole thing and coming second.

Once you have made your picks, you just sit back and relax! Until the next race and it all starts again!

Anyway, I have started a pool called "VillatalkF1", the pool code is "dashloss". If you want to join me just go to superbru.com , click on the F1 tab, click on find pool tab, find the right pool, and apply to join. Hopefully we can get quite a few to join.

If i'm stepping on BOF's toes then I apologise as i know. cheers nick

Fernando Alonso 'could not recall the last 20 years of his life after testing crash'

Spaniard to miss season-opening Australian GP as he continues his recovery after being knocked out during accident at Barcelona

Fernando Alonso thought it was 1995 after being questioned by doctors following the concussion he sustained after a crash in testing in Barcelona, according to a Spanish news report.

"I'm Fernando, I'm in karts and want to become Formula 1 driver," Alonso told doctors, Le Pais newspaper claims.

The Spaniard, who made his F1 debut in 2001 before becoming the sport’s youngest ever champion in 2005, also reportedly told doctors he remembered nothing of the crash at the Circuit de Catalunya.

Alonso will sit out the season-opening Australian GP after receiving medical advice and will be replaced by Kevin Magnussen.

Doctors warned Alonso of the dangers of second-impact syndrome - a second concussion occurring when the effects of the first are still subsiding, potentially resulting in severe brain injuries or even death.

On Twitter, Alonso said: "It will be tough not to be in Australia, but I understand the recommendations. A second impact in less than 21 days "NO" #countdownMalaysia."

A McLaren statement said: "Fernando's doctors acknowledge he feels fit and well, and he regards himself as ready to race.

"That being the case they are comfortable with the fact he has already recommenced physical training, with a view to preparing for a return to the cockpit of his McLaren-Honda car for the Malaysian Grand Prix meeting on March 27, 28 and 29.

"Indeed, his doctors are supportive of that ambition, satisfied as they are that he sustained no damage whatsoever during his testing accident on February 22."

The two-time world champion returned to McLaren this season after five years with Ferrari.

Sky Sports 

• 2 weeks later...

Are Formula 1 tyres worth anything, generally, out of interest? Got a tyre in the loft that came off one of Keke Rosberg's Williams cars from the early 80s.

Worthless, I'll take it off your hands for a fiver
  • Like 2

Are Formula 1 tyres worth anything, generally, out of interest? Got a tyre in the loft that came off one of Keke Rosberg's Williams cars from the early 80s.

I'll have it off your hands to see if it fits on my shitty little Corsa.

• Like 1

On ebay they range from £300 - £1000

a1gSPJJ.jpg

• Like 1

a1gSPJJ.jpg

I love how the experts will tell the customer that their item is worth $1000 then the shop offers them $100... and they usually go for it :P

Â