New manager

reykjavik

It's funny this has come up on here as last night on BeIn Sports they asked both Andy Cole and Graham Souness if the Villa job was a mangerial graveyard. Why do so many manager's careers seem to go backards after managing at B6?

Neither hesitated in giving the same answer. Souness said that, even with the position of recent years, that the Aston Villa job is still one of the biggest jobs in English football. To effectively take a step-up from Aston Villa as a club would mean a move to one of the top 4 clubs. Souness was actually quite passionate about his point and highlighted Southampton (as one of his ex-clubs) as a case in point saying that, even today, Aston Villa can still tempt a successful Southampton manager, but Southampton would not be able to tempt away a successful Aston Villa manager.

Key word there is successful, it's been a v long time since we've been successful!! Fair play to Souness though

That was more my paraphrasing than Souness tbf, as why would anyone actively seek out a failing manger still in a job?

Andy Cole also made the point that managers are from a different generation to the players and have seen Aston Villa win the biggest trophy. Young players may not get it, but for the manager's hotseat the job is right up there with the best.

It seems like people don't like Sherwood as a personality but are ignoring his ability as a manager, or neither.

His ability as manager is yet to really be seen.

He has managed a grand total of 28 games in his illustrious career.

He has an impressive win percentage but it was spattered with tactical naievity and some embarrassing humpings. Plus because his ratio is based on a small sample it is incredibly volatile. For example, if he'd drawn just 3 of those games instead of won them, his win percentage drops by around 12%. Two of them and it drops by around 9%.

Still not bad ratios but nowhere near as impressive as the 50% makes it out to be.

It also ignores his losses, which at 35% is quite high. In fact it's about the same as Gus Poyet at Sunderland (37%).

So yes, his record, on the face of it, was good at spurs. But it's warped by the small sample and the low amount of draws he managed (only 4 in 28 games).

Given the fact that there's a fairly large consensus that he'd already been "found out" at Spurs tactically, it's not a huge leap to assume that that win ratio may have taken a downward turn if the sample size increased.

its never mentioned that he inherited a team that had spent over 100million the previous summer. Sherwood is no better than Lambert

its never mentioned that he inherited a team that had spent over 100million the previous summer. Sherwood is no better than Lambert

There is no way you can categorically state that at this moment in time.

There is no way you can categorically state that at this moment in time.

both tactically inept, look at Sherwood results last season was a 5-1 and 2 4-0 defeats in there and not to forget his embarrassing display against Benfica when he preferred to wind up opposing manager instead of managing his own team

both tactically inept, look at Sherwood results last season was a 5-1 and 2 4-0 defeats in there and not to forget his embarrassing display against Benfica when he preferred to wind up opposing manager instead of managing his own team

The fundamental difference is that Sherwood has only been a manager for six months. But look, I share your sentiment and I would hope that we set our sights a lot higher.

• Like 1

I think you have to respect the way Lambert conducted himself but certainly not his performance level. He looked a beaten man and thats what will come from protecting your boss from the people below you. We are an incredibly hard club to manage with funds or without due to our fan base size and stadium capacity making us that cliched "sleeping giant" when in actual face we are just a regular premier league club on par with Everton, Newcastle & West Ham. dont 

I dont even know who I want us to appoint, but I know the kind of attributes I want. Up and coming, showing lots of energy on the sidelines, takes no shit, able to spot a player, produces young players and hungry to succeed. Think I just described Lambert when he came and Sherwood now. 

Probably need an experienced and respected older manager to get us out of trouble but that wont keep the Villa fans happy over a full season. 

The fundamental difference is that Sherwood has only been a manager for six months. But look, I share your sentiment and I would hope that we set our sights a lot higher.

that was main difference though, at this moment we cant be a training course for a potential manager. If Sherwood had courage and learned his trade he might become a good manager but he seems to have an arrogance that he deserves a huge job

Middlesbrough's local paper have made an article on Villa fans apparently wanting Karanka:

http://www.gazettelive.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/aston-villa-fans-call-aitor-8631453

Boro boss Aitor Karanka is the name on some Aston Villa fans’ lips as the club desperately seek to secure Premier League safety.

Villa dropped into the bottom three after Tuesday’s defeat at Hull, a result that cost Paul Lambert his job at Villa Park.

Now looking for a new man to lead the club, many Villa fans have taken to social media to have their say on who Lambert’s successor should be.

And unsurprisingly Karanka’s name has been touted across the Twittersphere, with the Spaniard having led Boro to the top of the Championship on Tuesday evening.

It’s not the first time Boro’s head coach has been linked with Premier League jobs, with him being touted for the Newcastle job after Alan Pardew’s exit.

Karanka was quick to play down the Tyneside links, and any reports related to the Villa Park hotseat will surely be swatted aside again by the Boro boss.

Asked about the link with the St James’ Park post recently, Karanka said: “It’s difficult when you’re already working at the best place.

“It’s easy for me to answer.”

Despite fans' interest, Karanka is not named on Sky Bet's shortlist for the next permanent Villa boss.

Here’s a selection of tweets from some Villa fans since Lambert’s departure:

@AnthonyPears9: Aitor Karanka from Boro would be a great choice for the long term. Done fantastic there, Mourinho’s assistant manager at Madrid too. #avfc

@BenNall79: It will not happen but would have Aitor Karanka as my first choice to replace Lambert #avfc

@danbrown1807: Well, it was time. What’s done is done. The immediate worry is who do we bring in? Aitor Karanka, Eddie Howe? #AVFC

@TrueNumber10: I think Villa should try to get Aitor Karanka from Boro, but that ain’t gonna happen.

@InstantKarmaNow: @mrdanwalker Agree he is talented but looks depressed best all around Aitor Karanka good choice for me

@Waxboy07Thomas: @StanCollymore id love to see either eddie howe, aitor karanka or marc Warburton given a chance stan! Surely we could attract these names??
Edited by Villan4Life

that was main difference though, at this moment we cant be a training course for a potential manager. If Sherwood had courage and learned his trade he might become a good manager but he seems to have an arrogance that he deserves a huge job

He is certainly up himself. The one positive I would say is that his arrogance could be beneficial for the squad in their current situation (for the short-term at least). Lambert slowly but surely sapped any confidence and belief from the squad.

Sherwood now 6/1 on with Coral.

Someone must have walked in to one of their shops and had a tenner at 1/3. :P

He's odds-on with pretty much all the bookmakers.