All New Funny Pics Thread - Clean Edition

Xann

29 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

It's on rails, so I'd say it's a tram. A trolleybus would be powered by overhead electrical wires, but otherwise run on the normal road surface. 

Absolutely agree but I was making allowances for..... 'muricans

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, sidcow said:

Has anybody ever been tied to a railway line? 

Was this just a Hollywood invention or is it based on some kind of fact? 

QI debunks this, for damsels in distress anyhoo. Never 'appened.

2 minutes ago, BOF said:

QI debunks this, for damsels in distress anyhoo. Never 'appened.

As bizarre (and horrible) as it may seem, this trope is Truth in Television. At least six people in the United States were killed between 1874 and 1910 as a result of being tied to railroad tracks. Of course, it was never as common in real life as in fiction, no doubt because there are more efficient ways of murdering people.

TVTropes.org

and then...

As for a more modern example of the train trope, and one which actually includes a damsel, this involves another Frenchman, Guillaume Grémy, in 2017. Unfortunately for all involved, not only was Guillaume not sporting a magnificent moustache and top hat at the time of his crime, he also completely took the fun out of the thing.

You see, Guillaume was suffering from severe depression at the time. When efforts to get back together with his estranged wife, Émilie Hallouin, failed, he decided on her 34th birthday to bind her to a high-speed railway track using, to quote a police spokesman, “strong adhesive tape”, and then stood over her as the train approached.

Sadly, real life being real life, there was no dashing hero to save the day here and tragically for the couple, their toddler child and other respective children, the pair were killed instantly when the train hit them at a reported 200 MPH…

todayifoundout.com

If you Mooney her name you'll find newspaper articles aplenty

8 minutes ago, bickster said:

TVTropes.org

and then...

todayifoundout.com

If you Mooney her name you'll find newspaper articles aplenty

TV Tropes tells us what QI did. That in film it doesn't happen to a damsel 'for real' (i.e. she's not really in distress) and that it's only ever 'played for laughs'.  The one example 'for realsies' is a male being rescued. I appreciate Sidcow said 'anybody'.

I didn't know it was common in theatre though, what with me being an uncultured swine.

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, BOF said:

TV Tropes tells us what QI did. That in film it doesn't happen to a damsel 'for real' (i.e. she's not really in distress) and that it's only ever 'played for laughs'.  The one example 'for realsies' is a male being rescued. I appreciate Sidcow said 'anybody'.

I didn't know it was common in theatre though, what with me being an uncultured swine.

I thought we were talking about it actually happening IRL :D 

But yes, the theatrical / film trope happened before the IRL grim deaths

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, bickster said:

I thought we were talking about it actually happening IRL :D 

But yes, the theatrical / film trope happened before the IRL grim deaths

Yeah I guess he was asking that :)

7 hours ago, bickster said:

Absolutely agree but I was making allowances for..... 'muricans

No need to accommodate us.  We refer to it as the Municipal Light Rail dilemma.

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, sidcow said:

Yeah me and four friends were once, as luck would have it there was a utilitarian standing next to to the points lever. Bloke on the other line though.😔

• Haha 1

24 minutes ago, il_serpente said:

No need to accommodate us.  We refer to it as the Municipal Light Rail dilemma.

Light Rail by its very lack of definition is another can of worms…. But at least it has rails ;)

• Like 1

On 13/06/2023 at 13:29, sidcow said:

I used to do it in Red Dead Redemption. Because why not

• Like 2

On 12/06/2023 at 19:11, Mark Albrighton said:

OT but it’s always bugged me that that is referred to as the trolley problem

It’s incredibly rare that I ever find myself potentially needing to refer to it, but I’m always thinking I’m going to have to elaborate  “No, I don’t mean a supermarket trolley…look, that’s just the name of the thought experiment, ok?”

This is quite a morbid post, but I saw an interview the other day of a woman who had basically had to live that thought experiment. 

She was driving down a road in Tasmania and there was a family crossing. Woman and 4 children. 
Just as she got to them one of the young boys ran out in front of her. 

She said she had time to make the decision of running over the boy or swerving and running over the family but had literally nowhere else to go. 

She ran over the boy

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

16 hours ago, Rds1983 said:

After sharing this with multiple people who all laughed, I've then just noticed the profile name of the 2nd person. 

Wtf.

Whats wrong with old tiny Les Bianarms? Its a bit of an odd surname, granted, but he can't help it ;) 

On 16/06/2023 at 11:59, Stevo985 said:

I used to do it in Red Dead Redemption. Because why not

On 16/06/2023 at 12:38, BOF said:

7pk2k2.jpg

Gaming sadism ftw 🤝

Â