What Song Are You Listening To Right Now?

Xann

On 03/12/2021 at 08:38, theboyangel said:

Heard this this morning on the Chris Hawkins BBC6 music show - cannot profess to have known about them but since found out, they formed after Buzzcocks ended

Anyway - great tune (in a bizarrely proggy, post punk type way!)

Post-punk proto-supergroup.

Howard Devoto left The Buzzcocks and formed Magazine with John McGeoch (Siouxsie and the Banshees, Armory Show, PIL), Barry Adamson (Bad Seeds and solo), Martin Jackson (The Freshies) and then a bit Later Dave Formula joined

McGeoch, Admason and Formula were also the rump of the band behind Visage. Later Robin Simon joined who was also in Visage (and Ultravox)

Hugely influential band, they released 4 albums in the late '70s / early '80s. You should check out more of their stuff

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

49 minutes ago, Seat68 said:

If you told me that this was a parody I would probably believe you. It's either genius or the worst thing created in the last 20 years. I don't think I am the man to decide.

Genius. It's bloomin ' brilliant.

First time I heard it I was driving through Knowle high street (slowly) and it came up on a podcast I was listening to. When I got home I found it on the youtubes and it's been an earworm ever since.

This is the youtube I found, and I think it's better than the official video - it captures the fun of it really well.

4 minutes ago, blandy said:

Genius. It's bloomin ' brilliant.

First time I heard it I was driving through Knowle high street (slowly) and it came up on a podcast I was listening to. When I got home I found it on the youtubes and it's been an earworm ever since.

This is the youtube I found, and I think it's better than the official video - it captures the fun of it really well.

This is one of them things I just don't think I will get. If I am right people love this tune at the moment, it seems like a joke to me, like a sketch show doing a parody of an indie tune. I think my wife likes it so that tells me everything. 

13 minutes ago, Seat68 said:

it seems like a joke to me, like a sketch show doing a parody of an indie tune

I've listened to them doing interviews and stuff and it's basically the two girls having a laugh and fun around their lyrics (not just that song) and riffing off each other, and the rest of the band kind of laying down the backing. I love it not (just) because it's slightly silly, but because it is fun and you can kind of see in the interplay that they're really good mates enjoying themselves, for themselves - it's genuine and a bit different.

15 minutes ago, blandy said:

I've listened to them doing interviews and stuff and it's basically the two girls having a laugh and fun around their lyrics (not just that song) and riffing off each other, and the rest of the band kind of laying down the backing. I love it not (just) because it's slightly silly, but because it is fun and you can kind of see in the interplay that they're really good mates enjoying themselves, for themselves - it's genuine and a bit different.

Those are the same reasons I love The Regrettes. I take that Wet Leg just isn't for me. 

Must have been 1986 I heard Fairytale of New York. I despised it. Hated it, loved the album if I should fall from grace with God and was a fan, loosely of The Pogues. I did however **** loathe Fairytale of New York. Everybody loved it, over played shit. Then every year it would get played and re enter the charts. Appearing on Christmas compilations. **** awful awful song. 

Then last year from nowhere it wasn't even gradual, I went from hating that dogshit to thinking it is one of the best songs ever written. Not even joking, overnight and I don't know why. Nothing happened just my opinion changed and I started loving it. 

• Like 1

Â