What Song Are You Listening To Right Now?

Xann

OK here's one for @bickster

The "new" Beatles track, which I admit I have NOT heard, got a really interesting review from a site I subscribe to:

https://brutallyhonestrockalbumreviews.wordpress.com/2023/11/03/song-review-paul-mccartney-pretending-to-be-the-beatles-now-and-then/

A small snippet:

Let’s talk about the overall sound of the song. It sounds nothing like anything The Beatles ever did. But you know what it does sound like? It sounds like a lot of the crap on Egypt Station or McCartney III. In other words, it sounds exactly like The Beatles would have sounded like if everyone else died and Paul carried on making Beatles music by himself in 2023 without John or George around to tell him he’s making a fool of himself. Which is pretty much exactly what happened (well, Ringo isn’t dead, but I’m not entirely sure he’s alive either). That the song would fit so neatly on Paul’s most recent solo albums but would be completely out of place on any actual Beatles album tells you everything you need to know about how much of a Beatles song it really is.

This isn’t a Beatles song. It’s an awful latter-day solo McCartney song masquerading as a Beatles song.

😀

• Like 1

1 hour ago, rjw63 said:

OK here's one for @bickster

The "new" Beatles track, which I admit I have NOT heard, got a really interesting review from a site I subscribe to:

https://brutallyhonestrockalbumreviews.wordpress.com/2023/11/03/song-review-paul-mccartney-pretending-to-be-the-beatles-now-and-then/

A small snippet:

Let’s talk about the overall sound of the song. It sounds nothing like anything The Beatles ever did. But you know what it does sound like? It sounds like a lot of the crap on Egypt Station or McCartney III. In other words, it sounds exactly like The Beatles would have sounded like if everyone else died and Paul carried on making Beatles music by himself in 2023 without John or George around to tell him he’s making a fool of himself. Which is pretty much exactly what happened (well, Ringo isn’t dead, but I’m not entirely sure he’s alive either). That the song would fit so neatly on Paul’s most recent solo albums but would be completely out of place on any actual Beatles album tells you everything you need to know about how much of a Beatles song it really is.

This isn’t a Beatles song. It’s an awful latter-day solo McCartney song masquerading as a Beatles song.

😀

Spot on. It's awful. 

• Like 1

Now and Then is from 77, Lennon recorded it as a demo and that was it. Disregarding Rock n Roll, it fits between, chronologically, Walls and Bridges and Double Fantasy. If we look at the tracks on those albums it has similarities to the greatest song ever written, Nobody Loves You When You're Down and Out, but for me it is tonally closer to John Lennon/Plastic Ono Band. Admittedly it is reflective like those songs that appear on Walls and Bridges but the tone is closer to the 1970 album. 

It features Paul McCartney, and I say that as a fan, it's not him, it doesn't have his stamp on it, it is weak enough to feature on any of his post Flaming Pie albums, but I think its wrong of that reviewer to say its a McCartney song, it oozes Lennon, its a Lennon album track, it sounds like a Lennon album track. Its a bloody weak Lennon album track.

So on that, off to play my favourite song of all time.

• Like 1

On 03/11/2023 at 08:12, Seat68 said:

Now and Then is from 77, Lennon recorded it as a demo and that was it. Disregarding Rock n Roll, it fits between, chronologically, Walls and Bridges and Double Fantasy. If we look at the tracks on those albums it has similarities to the greatest song ever written, Nobody Loves You When You're Down and Out, but for me it is tonally closer to John Lennon/Plastic Ono Band. Admittedly it is reflective like those songs that appear on Walls and Bridges but the tone is closer to the 1970 album. 

It features Paul McCartney, and I say that as a fan, it's not him, it doesn't have his stamp on it, it is weak enough to feature on any of his post Flaming Pie albums, but I think its wrong of that reviewer to say its a McCartney song, it oozes Lennon, its a Lennon album track, it sounds like a Lennon album track. Its a bloody weak Lennon album track.

So on that, off to play my favourite song of all time.

Yeah, I didn't even listen to the whole song, it was so shit. It kinda seems like a cynical cash grab.

Â