2015 Holiday Plans

Xela

I went to Sharm at the end of Jan and it was brilliant.  There were 6 of us between 3 double rooms at the Hilton Waterfalls resort.  If you want all inclusive, good weather and relaxation then it is perfect.  You can also do quite a few excursions.  It cost us £350 each for flights and 5* accommodation.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Busy year 2015 not on Tony's level or very cultural but a few trips away planned.

April - 3 days in magaluf for my stag

May - 7 days all inclusive in Tunisia as a trip away straight after wedding

July - 3 days in benidorm for my 30th

August- 14 days caribbean cruise with royal caribbean for the official honeymoon

I went to Sharm at the end of Jan and it was brilliant.  There were 6 of us between 3 double rooms at the Hilton Waterfalls resort.  If you want all inclusive, good weather and relaxation then it is perfect.  You can also do quite a few excursions.  It cost us £350 each for flights and 5* accommodation.

Stayed there as well! Don't think you could get it that cheap at the moment though. 

I guess it depends what you want out of Memphis.

If you want experiences and lots of different things to do then potentially it might not be the best. I would suspect that Tony, you need to see something interesting and local and move on. Seat on the other hand, I suspect wants to sit in Memphis and absorb it. I picture him sat in a bar or a diner listening to an unkown country artist for hours. Then doing it again 200 yards down the road the next day.

Well, to be honest, that's what I would be doing. Sitting there with a bourbon, doing the long stare, listening. I might be odd.

to a degree yes  ... the main drag where the bars are was all a bit same , don't get me wrong it was fun , and also open until 7am  ... but I didn't hear anything new and different that I didn't hear in 271 other bars on that trip

( though do check out the flying saucer if you like your beers, ales and what not)

I thought Sun Studio was pretty cool and the guide we had was very informative  ... didn't go to Graceland probably doesn't help that none of our party like Elvis ( detest might be a better word :) )  .. I was going to go anyway because , well because I was in Memphis .. but Beale street and 7am closing put paid to that idea

I just think with 14 days I'd rather start in Atlanta and drive around the area with a couple of days in each  ...  i.e Chattanooga , Nantahala National park on the way to Nashville  ... rather than 7 days in one town   .... but then as you say I'm not really the absorbing kind  :)

Chrisp65 thats about right, we intend doing all of the music museums but there is a whole lot of watching bands in bars. Between Memphis and Nashville we intend to call in at Jackson for the rockabilly hall of fame before nashville and its music museums, venues etc.

I've done Guilin, and then the li river cruise down to yangshou

The river cruise is good, there's a hill in Guilin which you can walk up and see everything which is pretty good, there are some really good caves that are all lit up and Guilin is brilliant for pearl shopping, really cheap, yangshou was touristy, lots of back packers, best thing there is a show on a lake with hundreds of people wearing lights, that's worth a watch

If you're travelling round in the area it might be worth seeing how easy dragons backbone is to do, I'd guess it's a timing thing too

Edited by villa4europe

Hoping to travel up on the train to southern China this Tet/Chinese New Year . . . Lijiang, Guilin, Kunming, Tiger Leaping Gorge, 3 Parallel Rivers National Park etc. Anyone done this area before, and have any tips?

Will you go through Nanning as the gateway to China from Hanoi? Once had to spend 24 hours there. Erm yeah, don't go there, that's about all I can offer :)

In addition to memphis and nashville, we have added New Orleans to the itinery, my wife fancies this more than me.

We did Memphis to NO by train ... It's like Hicksville inbetween the two with broken down pickup trucks and men on porches with banjos .... Trains suck in the US but we got there in realitive comfort .....

But New Orleans is far more fun than Memphis (imo ) .... You'll probably be glad the other half talked you into it

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

2 rather extreme choices there  :)

guess it depends what you want to do  ... all 4 have their merits  , Vietnam and Cambodia would be the more exciting of the 2 imo

Toronto is pleasant enough and you can extend it out to Niagara on the lake and the falls  ... but it's a long weekend break far as I'm concerned   ..ditto New York  ..where as Vietnam and Cambodia would be more of a holiday  .. Ha Long Bay , Mekong Delta , War tunnels , getting run over by a scooter laden with 12 people , killing Fields , Angkor Wat  etc etc

In addition to memphis and nashville, we have added New Orleans to the itinery, my wife fancies this more than me.

We did Memphis to NO by train ... It's like Hicksville inbetween the two with broken down pickup trucks and men on porches with banjos .... Trains suck in the US but we got there in realitive comfort .....

But New Orleans is far more fun than Memphis (imo ) .... You'll probably be glad the other half talked you into it

I am considering the train option, that would suit me greatly. 

I am considering the train option, that would suit me greatly. 

it's only one train per day comes in from Chicago I believe  .. station is a way out of town so allow time for a cab ride there  .. saying that our train was 2 hours late so we could have walked  ..but miss it and you'll be waiting a while :)

bugger all at Memphis station so stock up the night before on snacks and drinks  .. even the buffet car on the train run out of beer ..mind you it was summer break or something and the train was full of party goer's  .. good fun actually , I even managed to smile when a cute American girl asked me where in Australia I was from  ....

book tickets online here

Edited by tonyh29

We are thinking of Texas for our honeymoon. Seabrook and Galveston to be precise with a visit to Houston thrown in and some time in Bay town.

Edited by Ingram85

Â