2015 Holiday Plans

Xela

Going to Krakow in February and Wrocław in April as well :)

Isn't that like me going to Manchester for my holidays :)

Kraków is nice though ... Make sure you visit the salt mines , nobody ever does as they are on stag do's but they are well worth the visit

Going to Krakow in February and Wrocław in April as well :)

Isn't that like me going to Manchester for my holidays :)

Kraków is nice though ... Make sure you visit the salt mines , nobody ever does as they are on stag do's but they are well worth the visit

Yeah, less of a holiday, more of a trip. But I've never been to either so it'll be fun :D

Got Köln next month for Karneval, Lisbon in April and Thailand in the summer (didn't get a chance to go to any thai islands last time I was in SE Asia ). Should be a decent year!

Going to Cologne with my housemates next week. Book a return for £20 last night and it just so happens that Koln are at home to Stuttgart. We booked tickets for that before realising we'd got them for the away end :lol:

Anyways, anything we must do/see? I hear the cathedral is incredible but other than that I don't know anything else. Also, most importantly, where is best to drink?

Cathedral is well worth a look yeah, huge imposing building right next to the HBF. The area behind the cathedral down by the river is decent for old town style pubs. If you're looking for a club style place is recommend the rose club (could be rose bar), can't remember where it is (mooney it) but plenty of other bars around there.

If you're looking to watch football (I know you might not want to on a short trip!) there's an Irish pub called jamesons near friesenplatz u-baht which is decent albeit pricey.

• Like 1

Just booked tickets for the family to spend next December - Jan in the States. Christmas - New Year in NYC and a couple of weeks driving around Texas & the East coast. So bloody excited. Never been and always wanted to go.

Going to Cologne with my housemates next week. Book a return for £20 last night and it just so happens that Koln are at home to Stuttgart. We booked tickets for that before realising we'd got them for the away end :lol:

Anyways, anything we must do/see? I hear the cathedral is incredible but other than that I don't know anything else. Also, most importantly, where is best to drink?

Köln  :wub:

Great city, would definitely recommend. I'm gonna miss seeing the Cathedral every morning. The Köln ground is great too, but I'm a fully fledged Stuttgart fan now! 

Köln  :wub:

Great city, would definitely recommend. I'm gonna miss seeing the Cathedral every morning. The Köln ground is great too, but I'm a fully fledged Stuttgart fan now! 

Stuttgart winning would've brought in £765 for me :(

Glad you had fun! I'm off to Köln for Karneval next weekend, can't wait!

• Like 1

Settled on Europe this year as my mate has got no money

so plan is

Serbia

Bosnia

Montenegro

Macedonia

Kosovo

Moldova

Transnistria - No I didn't just make this place up  , it's not formally a country yet but may as well get it in early  :)

think that will just leave me with Iceland , Cyprus , Georgia and Belarus and I've done every country in Europe  .. I'll have to work on knocking those 4 out during the course of the year  ...

• Like 2

so plan is

Serbia

Bosnia

Montenegro

Macedonia

Kosovo

Moldova

Transnistria - No I didn't just make this place up  , it's not formally a country yet but may as well get it in early  :)

think that will just leave me with Iceland , Cyprus , Georgia and Belarus and I've done every country in Europe  .. I'll have to work on knocking those 4 out during the course of the year  ...

A friend of mine who has done a fair bit of travelling (not as much as you but still) rates Georgia in his top 3 countries he's been to. Mainly for the scenery.

• Like 1

so plan is

Serbia

Bosnia

Montenegro

Macedonia

Kosovo

Moldova

A friend of mine who has done a fair bit of travelling (not as much as you but still) rates Georgia in his top 3 countries he's been to. Mainly for the scenery.

funny you mention that as I was looking at Georgia yesterday .. Wizz air fly into Kutais and then there is a scenic train journey up to Tbilisi  once I've explored that area ... Armenia (Yerevan)  is then a 4 hour drive away 

tbh I've leaning more towards those countries than the original proposal  .. Yerevan sounds like it has quite a  lot of interesting things to offer

so plan is

Serbia

Bosnia

Montenegro

Macedonia

Kosovo

Moldova

Ive been to all these bar Moldova (and the one you made up). Feel free to ask any questions. Would be nice to give you advice for a change!

so plan is

Serbia

Bosnia

Montenegro

Macedonia

Kosovo

Moldova

Ive been to all these bar Moldova (and the one you made up). Feel free to ask any questions. Would be nice to give you advice for a change!

It's got it's own flag and everything  :P

what are your thoughts on all of them  .. it strikes me as I'd have to do a fair amount of bus and train travel in some cases  ( Sarajevo to Podgorica , via Mostar for example) for maybe not much gain ... few decent views , few buildings of interest but no WOW factor ?   I'd be interested in any WW I stuff in Sarajevo and Tesla stuff in Belgrade but I can easily do both these places on a weekend trip ( there is already talk of my mates birthday bash being in Belgrade in July so if  Milfner is correct in Belgrade not requiring a lot of time I'll get it out that way during my brief sober moments)

I've come up with Warsaw (i've been to Poland before but not Warsaw)  , Kutasi (Georgia) then train to Tbilisi  .. then a  car to Yerevan  .. flight to Kiev (been before but my mate hasn't )  , then flight to Moldova ( with a visit to the made up place :) ) and then on to Romania and Transylvania 

to be honest that sounds are more "exciting " trip then the Serbia \ Bosnia \ Moldova option  at present  ... but your opinions could help clinch it one way or another ...so no pressure :)

British airways or virgin Atlantic to get to Las Vegas? Would be economy, at the moment BA is about £130 more, anyone (tony?) know what the difference is?

tbh I've only flown Virgin once and it was dreadful so I've never been back , but this is where various people will tell you BA are shite and Virgin are wonderful  ( and vice versa  :) )

BA fly direct to Vegas from Heathrow and Virgin from Gatwick so that could be the difference price wise  , but other than that they are 747's ( though BA also fly a 777 on that route) so in economy I doubt you will notice a lot of difference ( I've noticed a lot of BA planes of late have had new interiors on them so you may find a newer interior on that route if you are lucky)

Risso is there at the moment and Drat is flying out sometime this week , so you may get lucky and both will come alone and offer some opinion ( though Drat's wont be impartial if he flew BA  :D )

not that I'd let it worry you but the Virgin Vegas flight was the one in the news the other week with the landing gear problem :)

Edited by tonyh29

I got married in Vegas so took about 15 people out there with me.  I travelled with BA and the rest bar 1 person travelled with Virgin.

The journey is near identical.  I travelled whatever class "normal" is with BA and you get free alcohol and a decent choice of movies, tv show's & games in the tv's.  The leg room was ok, but I wish I'd booked an aisle seat as leg room is pretty scarce, especially for a 13 hour flight - and I'm only 5"10.

The in laws flew virgin the day after everyone else, and they complained of a group of Polish guys drinking the plane dry and then being very rowdy and not sitting down and standing near the toilets etc.

So I guess unless you go posh then the service will probably be very similar levels.  However, it's just pot luck if you get a group of bums on the plane and going to Vegas, it's likely that there'll be a few.

Â