Paul Lambert

limpid

Of course, and I don't disagree whatsoever.

But it's my belief (and I don't know it, I can only guess) that, like us, Lambert acknowledged that last season we were a decent team going forward (at times) which led to some good performances, but our appalling defence meant that we didn't pick up the points needed to guarantee our safety.

I think (think!) he's addressed that this season, tightened up the defence, but at the cost of playing some turgid football a lot of the time.

BUT, it's gotten us more points, we've conceded way less goals and generally look to be in a better position to stay in the league this season.

I completely agree that the next step is to combine the two things. From this base of ok results, add some more free flowing football, better performances and it'll get us more points again. Gradual improvement.

Maybe it's me just being hopeful, or wishful thinking. But that's how I see it.

If things don't improve in the future then questions will have to be asked. But I've seen enough to suggest that our upward trend (it's not a huge trend but it's improvement) can continue, especially as we've more or less got to the stage where we don't have to keep shredding the wage bill and can hopefully concentrate on adding to it sensibly.

If that doesn't happen and results/performances don't continue to improve then Lambert's job will have to be considered. And I'd be lying if I said my faith in Lambert had remained 100% over the past few months.

But like I said, I think (hope) we'll continue to progress.

^^^ I think the frustration from some people comes because last year Lambert was getting criticised (not by you) for good performances but not picking up any points. At that time it seemed to be only points and league position that mattered.

This season people are criticising him for the opposite (which, fwiw, I believe has happened as a direct result of last season). Now it seems to be "it's all very well getting points, but it's performances that really matter"

cannot speak for anyone else but I don't think we were putting in "good performances but not picking up any points" last season - we were shite and picking up few points, then played a lot better in the last 3 months or so and started picking up more points

as for the opposite happening this season - I think we have accumulated the same amount of points this year as in the corresponding fixtures last year (less if you use the results against promoted teams as proxies for results against relegated teams from last season)

hopefully we can keep a comfortable distance between us and the bottom 3 both in terms of points and league position to prevent a 4th year of panic

I want to see evidence to support your second paragraph because I don't believe it to be true.

I'm pretty sure BOF has a running total of that somewhere

Edit: he's right, assuming BOF's stats are correct. We were exactly even after the Arsenal game. But considering we won away at Anfield last season, we'll now be 2 points down on corresponding fixtures.

Edited by Stevo985

This is off the top of my head so apologies and I hang my head in shame if there are inaccuracies; suggests we are -2 if relegated/promoted teams are included, level if they are excluded

Arsenal +3

Chelsea 0

Liverpool 0

Newcastle 0

Norwich 0

Man City +3

Hull -2 (replacing the Reading away result as Reading finished 2nd bottom)

Tottenham 0

Everton 0

West Ham +1

Cardiff +3 (replacing Wigan home result as Wigan finished 3rd bottom)

West Brom 0

Sunderland -2

Southampton +3

Fulham 0

Man U 0

Stoke -3

Crystal Palace -3 (replacing QPR home result as QPR finished bottom)

Swansea -2

Sunderland 0

Arsenal -1

Liverpool -2

Certainly not the only way or even possibly the best way of comparing results/points totals year on year, but it was being used earlier in the season by others I think

Edit: he's right, assuming BOF's stats are correct. We were exactly even after the Arsenal game. But considering we won away at Anfield last season, we'll now be 2 points down on corresponding fixtures.

I'm just wondering what a particular poster might think of that stat considering what he has been posting continually on site. :D

So we aren't making progress ?

You can take those stats whichever way you want. In 2 weeks we could be ahead again.

Like DDID, and like last year, I won't judge the season until it's over.

Edited by Stevo985

I still think the fact we're on course to finish with pretty much the same points total shows our league position is making the improvement seem better than it is.

We've had a better start to the season than last year but no guarantee that we'll finish the season as strong as we did.

• Like 2

I still think the fact we're on course to finish with pretty much the same points total shows our league position is making the improvement seem better than it is.

We've had a better start to the season than last year but no guarantee that we'll finish the season as strong as we did.

There's no guarantee we won't either.

• Like 1

We should just let VillaCas answer that one EA. I'm sure there will be another obscure or inaccurate graph on the way, that is if he now reappears? 

To be fair, his graph (assuming it's the average points one) wasn't obscure or inaccurate. It made a very valid point and to simply dismiss it is being far more blinkered than he was.

There's no guarantee we won't either.

I agree. Like you said the end of the season will show what the improvement has been.

You can take those stats whichever way you want. In 2 weeks we could be ahead again.

Like DDID, and like last year, I won't judge the season until it's over.

That is absolutely correct Stevo and what I have been banging on for some time now. Neither our league position or points total is a constant at the moment but there have been those who have been using those stats to try and show improvement.

We should just let VillaCas answer that one EA. I'm sure there will be another obscure or inaccurate graph on the way, that is if he now reappears? 

To be fair, his graph (assuming it's the average points one) wasn't obscure or inaccurate. It made a very valid point and to simply dismiss it is being far more blinkered than he was.

Ha, ha. 'Far more blinkered than he was?'

The last graph he produced he admited himself that it wasn't accurate. Generally his graphs have been produced on the basis of present improvement using points and position.

His debate on points has now been proven by another poster to be wrong.

Edited by Morpheus

probably worth adding that of our remaining fixtures, I don't think we actually won any of the corresponding fixtures last year (unless you take Reading (h) as a proxy for Hull (h)), so there is scope to improve the like-for-like comparison

also west ham at home thinking about it

Edited by slowandlow

The last graph he produced he admited himself that it wasn't accurate. Generally his graphs have been produced on the basis of present improvement using points and position.

I specified it being the one I was thinking of, which was average points.

The difference is his was based on Lambert's tenure, not just the first half of this season.

And if he's admitted when he posted it that it wasn't accurate then what's the problem? He's admitted he's wrong, so are you just point scoring?

I specified it being the one I was thinking of, which was average points.

The difference is his was based on Lambert's tenure, not just the first half of this season.

And if he's admitted when he posted it that it wasn't accurate then what's the problem? He's admitted he's wrong, so are you just point scoring?

Based on Lambert's tenure eh? I have asked him on five occasions to produce a stat showing exactly that and he has refuse to do it.

Secondly you stated 'to simply dismiss it is being far more blinkered than he was' without actually knowing what i was referring to so who is trying to point score here?

Â