Paul Lambert

limpid

That isn't what I asked though. Let me rephrase it, based on your points logic, If we developed a style of play, lets say similar to Swansea, that is appealing to the masses but it took time to implement and we had a few rocky performances along the way and ended up on less points than we have done previously. Would you say no progress to the playing style has been made? 

I should imagine you could say that improvement on playing style has happened but to the detriment of overall improvement.  Results are what matters at the end of the day.

Yep, I'm not denying that. It's just a general question. Is it all about points for some people or is it also about the style we play and would people be willing to take a points hit if the playing style was improving.

Bare in mind, I'm not saying it is. Let me make that clear. Just a general musing.

Edited by sexbelowsound

The reality is.....

Whatever Lambert has done/tried/changed, it has only been enough to avoid relegation.

The fact that he has tried different things/approaches just shows one thing.

He's not good enough as a manager to be manager of AVFC

• Like 1

That isn't what I asked though. Let me rephrase it, based on your points logic, If we developed a style of play, lets say similar to Swansea, that is appealing to the masses but it took time to implement and we had a few rocky performances along the way and ended up on less points than we have done previously. Would you say no progress to the playing style has been made?

You did ask it, you said lower points than last season.

With your rephrased question, if its a style that's appealing to the masses then I'd say the style had improved. If it results in lower points then I'd say there's been no progress. If it was a style that I genuinely think could build something good then I'd be prepared to have a few bumps along the ride. But 2 and a half years in and what I'm watching now? No as I don't believe Lambert will implement anything that will build something good and decent to watch at this club.

Lots of fans said we'd be bottom will hardly any points when the fixtures were announced cos we were playing the top teams so early but that did not happen (don't give a ***** about how we got the points) so we are in a relegation battle! No body knows what will happen today next week or thereafter. We could well draw against arsenal and Chelsea who knows. No matter how shit we are - we are 12th not 18th 19th or 20th the last time I looked at the table. We are just as capable of getting something against Chelsea at home as we are of losing against Leicester. So unpredictable. Let's just hang fire. IF we end up in the bottom 4 then start with the relegation talk. We are 5 off relegation zone and just as many to a comfortable position. Look at both pictures rather than the negative. But what do I know I'm no expert. I just back the team blindly as I have done the past 53 years.

• Like 2

Conceded too many goals - "he needs to sort the defence , his defence is rubbish he'll never sort it"

Sorts the defence -"we are too defensive"

Has little possession in winning games - " god look at how awful we are stats stats stats blah blah blah needs to sort out our style of football "

Changes style - " god we are so boring we are passing too much and going nowhere"

Plays youngsters and not the unmotivated old brigade ( was actually told at a forum by fans Hutton should never play for us again ) " this ain't working he needs to play more experience "

Plays experienced players - " can't believe he's changed philosophy it shows he has no idea "

Damned if he does damned if he doesn't

Edited by Richard
  • Like 4

Conceded too many goals - "he needs to sort the defence , his defence is rubbish he'll never sort it"

Has little possession in winning games - " god look at how awful we are stats stats stats blah blah blah needs to sort out our style of football "

Changes style - " god we are so boring we are passing too much and going nowhere"

Plays youngsters and not the unmotivated old brigade ( was actually told at a forum by fans Hutton should never play for us again ) " this ain't working he needs to play more experience "

Plays experienced players - " can't believe he's changed philosophy it shows he has no idea "

And through all this the results stay pretty much the same...

and so does our league status

Everything you have listed reeks of a manager feeling his way with no discernable plan - and results bear that out.

• Like 1

and so does our league status

Yep and that is the problem. No improvement. 

Edited by DK82
  • Like 1

2 wins, 3 draws and 2 losses in the last 7 games isn't bad form to be honest, when talking about this "change of style" that is.

It's ok, but when you look at who we've played it's not good enough

2 wins, 3 draws and 2 losses in the last 7 games isn't bad form to be honest, when talking about this "change of style" that is.

It's ok, but when you look at who we've played it's not good enough

Why not? We a mid-table team at the very best, we're bound to lose/draw to some of the teams around us just as we're bound to win some of the games.

• Like 1

If we continue the form till May, that will leave us on 40 points...

The only problem is we have Everton, Liverpool, Man United, Arsenal and Chelsea to play, as well as Southampton, West Ham and Spurs. And as we know, we have no chance against these teams (which rules out a lot of points), leaving us only a set amount to play for.

Considering Lambert himself said this is his best squad yet, he should be improving on the position and points.

We will see.

Its not terrible and its not great. Like DK said, even if we do carry on that level (not sure we can) it will still end up with around 40 points.

We are and so is the league. We can just as well beat Chelsea as lose to Leicester just as they beat man Utd and lost to us. We could just as well scrape a draw as we might put the chances away. Nothing is black and white (or claret and blue). Didn't respond to the part about being bottom or in a relegation battle. We were not bottom after playing the top teams so yes were are unpredictable in the sense that all the naysayers who said we'd be bottom were provd wrong and so far all those saying we are fighting a relegation battle are also wrong or is 12th now the new relegation zone? We may have won only 2 but we've drawn a lot too. Regardless how shit were were against palace at their ground most were saying we'd get turned over but didn't. Were told also we had no chance against Man Utd but we got a point so yea we are unpredictable just as the league is too.

Remaining games: 

Leicester - 3

Liverpool - 0

Arsenal   - 0

Chelsea - 0

Hull - 1

Stoke - 3

Newcastle - 0

W Brom - 3

Sunderland - 1

Man U - 0

Spurs - 0

QPR - 3

Man City - 0

Everton - 1

West Ham - 1

Southampton - 0

Burnley - 3

Strangely, my working out actually matches our current form but leaves us on 41 points.

And that's the very simple reason why he's dammed.

No ones criticising him for improving the defence. Credit for that but then you look at how long its taken and the fact its involved bringing back a player he bombed out and his 3rd try at a lb and its hard to get too carried away with praise.

Same with the style. Why has it taken 2 and a half years to pass the ball to each other. Credit for the change but likewise hard to get too carried away on praise for it.

And after all is said and done results are no different.

Â