Paul Lambert

limpid

I don't think it's the fact that he's getting his views challenged more that bothers Richard, I think it's that he sometimes comes in for a lot of snide, pointless attacks just by virtue of the fact that he still backs Lambert. It's the manner some people go about it rather than the criticism itself.

For the record I don't agree with a lot of what Richard says on Lambert these days.

I hope this doesn't come across as post on poster, as it's more about the posts themselves, but Richard has little room to stay on his high horse given his own posting history and opinions on previous managers. 

What do people expect him to say in a pre match press conference to reassure them?

To be a bit positive may help, to sound like he knows what he is doing, to try and gee up the team and fanbase by giving us hope it will change, a simple we need to find a way to change it does not instill me with confidence.

I don't think it's the fact that he's getting his views challenged more that bothers Richard, I think it's that he sometimes comes in for a lot of snide, pointless attacks just by virtue of the fact that he still backs Lambert. It's the manner some people go about it rather than the criticism itself.

For the record I don't agree with a lot of what Richard says on Lambert these days.

I hope this doesn't come across as post on poster, as it's more about the posts themselves, but Richard has little room to stay on his high horse given his own posting history and opinions on previous managers.

I quite openly wanted houllier and Mcleish out . No problems there. There were those that didn't. Don't think I ever ridiculed them or sought a majority view or suggested their opinion was not valid as it was a minority one .

The majority wanted him or a similar man when he joined, we all bought into the project and had hope and expectation. what we could not see was that he would loose confidence in his ideas and play safe. He looks like a beaten man with no idea how to change things. No fan wants him to fail, we all want to see him succeed, to have a successful club who we are proud of, to enjoy watching us play even if we loose, what we can not cope with is so many bad records being produced, a lack of leadership and ideas, an inability to change a game, a reluctance to try something different, turgid football. if another club played like us we would all want them relegated so we did not have to watch that rubbish twice a season, we have to watch it every bloody week and pay in alot of cases a majority of our expendable income for the pleasure. A lot of fans are at their wits end and are filled with apathy We need change, whether it is a change of manager or a change of style doesn't matter, we just want to reach Saturdays with expectation that we can win but more of a hope that we will be entertained and have something positive to discuss over the weekend with mates. We are not MC or Chelski, we know we will not be top six, but we do not deserve or expect this constant fight against relegation and poor performances. Hell we even have fans not giving a damn if we go down in the hope we will see better football in the championship. We are at rock bottom as a club and fan base and need something to rekindle the flames of passion for our club. 

• Like 3

Christ now the performance against Spurs was now superb, talk about some people having an agenda.

This comment sums up the problem with this thread. Take the comment about how we were playing superb against Spurs prior to the sending off. Realise that statement doesn't fit your biased view. So change the statement to be the whole 2-1 loss against Spurs as being described as superb, boom nobody cares if anyone actually said it. People believe someone said it because you attributed it to someone as their "agenda".

Sometimes I'm amazed at the things people post. But really, a football forum is by and large the last place for anything sensible or reasoned to be posted. The idea of debate is utterly impossible.

Reasoned debate then mate. What exactly was superb about the performance up to when Benteke was sent off. The passing, the movement, the interplay, the attacking intent....anything?

I would class a superb display as one like when we beat Leeds in the League Cup or when we beat Liverpool 5 - 1 in 76

I saw the game and say we played OK and nothing more, Spurs werent very good.

For those of us who used to read the Argos what would they have rated the performance?

Ah now it's comparing the words superb performance against this history of Villa great performances. Seriously!! Are we going to keep doing this? Avoid what was meant by a comment repeatedly?

It was a superb performance by this team in the circumstances given the opposition, we needed a reaction and an attacking performance after the run of losses and the poor effort at QPR. We got it. We should have been at least 2 goals up at half time. 

People won't accept the significance of Benteke's sending off which resulted in the loss and obviously the huge knock on effect on the teams confidence. Instead all that blame has to be squared at Lambert. Yet we've managed to get two draws from a couple of tough games since which is a positive. We just need Benteke back.

I genuinely believe that we are a top 10 side with this team when we have our best 5 players fit. The significance of not having Benteke or Kozak for the majority of this year has been huge. We need a big centre forward to bring physicality and hold the ball up, the effect on the rest of the team including and especially the defence is huge. 

Just give the team and manager some time, we aren't in a relegation fight and if we end up in one after the next 8 games we will all be in unison in wanting a change of manager. But until then, just give 100% support. One good win with the Holt rocking will give them a huge lift. 

Edited by CVByrne
  • Like 3

I just watched that interview, to me that was one of the most insightful ones lambert has given.

He confirmed 100% that what he peddles out is incoherent ramblings of shite.

No clear answers to straightforward questions, talking in riddles, changing the subject and deflecting questions.

And yet again, references to Arsenal and Liverpool being 'massive', with the inference that we are not.

I said it before and I'll continue saying it. The Aston Villa job is too big for him.

He has an inferiority complex and is not capable of stepping up to a big city club like ours.

The day he leaves Villa cannot come soon enough.

I just watched that interview, to me that was one of the most insightful ones lambert has given.

No clear answers to straightforward questions, talking in riddles, changing the subject and deflecting questions.

And yet again, references to Arsenal and Liverpool being 'massive', with the inference that we are not.

I said it before and I'll continue saying it. The Aston Villa job is too big for him.

He has an inferiority complex and is not capable of stepping up to a big city club like ours.

Yes, I'm sure he is going to come out and slag off his boss and his staff isn't he. They were very good questions from Pete Colly, one's I would like to ask myself but to expect him to answer them honestly is naive.

• Like 1

Yes, I'm sure he is going to come out and slag off his boss and his staff isn't he. They were very good questions from Pete Colly, one's I would like to ask myself but to expect him to answer them honestly is naive.

You really think that the only way to give a straight, clear, concise answer to straight question is by 'slagging' people off?

Nice!

Ah now it's comparing the words superb performance against this history of Villa great performances. Seriously!! Are we going to keep doing this? Avoid what was meant by a comment repeatedly?

It was a superb performance by this team in the circumstances given the opposition, we needed a reaction and an attacking performance after the run of losses and the poor effort at QPR. We got it. We should have been at least 2 goals up at half time. 

People won't accept the significance of Benteke's sending off which resulted in the loss and obviously the huge knock on effect on the teams confidence. Instead all that blame has to be squared at Lambert. Yet we've managed to get two draws from a couple of tough games since which is a positive. We just need Benteke back.

I genuinely believe that we are a top 10 side with this team when we have our best 5 players fit. The significance of not having Benteke or Kozak for the majority of this year has been huge. We need a big centre forward to bring physicality and hold the ball up, the effect on the rest of the team including and especially the defence is huge. 

Just give the team and manager some time, we aren't in a relegation fight and if we end up in one after the next 8 games we will all be in unison in wanting a change of manager. But until then, just give 100% support. One good win with the Holt rocking will give them a huge lift.

I believe you've been correctly called out on that 'superb' comment. But, hey, it's you're opinion and it's mine amongst others that you are wildly wide of the mark:

su•perb (sʊˈpɜrb, sə-)

adj.

1. admirably fine or excellent.

2. sumptuous; rich; grand.

3. of a proudly imposing appearance or kind; majestic.

Regarding the sentence I've highlighted, you may actually be correct, but that's not what this thread is about is it. The way we set up and under what's (so far) proven to be a negative manager, You have absolutely no chance of this squad competing with the top 10 unless Lambert changes philosophy/tactics or goes.

Christ now the performance against Spurs was now superb, talk about some people having an agenda.

This comment sums up the problem with this thread. Take the comment about how we were playing superb against Spurs prior to the sending off. Realise that statement doesn't fit your biased view. So change the statement to be the whole 2-1 loss against Spurs as being described as superb, boom nobody cares if anyone actually said it. People believe someone said it because you attributed it to someone as their "agenda".

Sometimes I'm amazed at the things people post. But really, a football forum is by and large the last place for anything sensible or reasoned to be posted. The idea of debate is utterly impossible.

Reasoned debate then mate. What exactly was superb about the performance up to when Benteke was sent off. The passing, the movement, the interplay, the attacking intent....anything?

I would class a superb display as one like when we beat Leeds in the League Cup or when we beat Liverpool 5 - 1 in 76

I saw the game and say we played OK and nothing more, Spurs werent very good.

For those of us who used to read the Argos what would they have rated the performance?

I ask again what was superb?

You cannot say they were superb and then when questioned start to redefine the usage of the word. Better yes, superb not a bloody chance.

I would agree it was better than the QPR fiasco but then it would have been difficult to get worse and when you say given the opposition I thought Spurs were the poorest I have seen them in recent years, two things changed the outcome of that game. Firstly Benteke got himself sent off, secondly the opposition manager made substitutions which changed the game while our manager sat in his chair and twiddled his thumbs when everyone could see what was going to happen and only made changes after it was too late.

On your last comment, we are in a relegation fight, just look at the table - just because we are not in the bottom 3 doesnt mean we arent.

You really think that the only way to give a straight, clear, concise answer to straight question is by 'slagging' people off?

Nice!

The questions he was asked were leading him towards being negative about Darren Bent and Randy Lerner. 

What worried me most about the interview was the Bent questioning. One of the responses (and I'm paraphrasing here) was "I have a way of playing football", suggesting that A) Bent doesn't fit in with that way of playing football, and B ) the current hoofball rubbish we're being served up is by choice rather than necessity.

Edited by Villanun

What worried me most about the interview was the Bent questioning. One of the responses (and I'm paraphrasing here) was "I have a way of playing football", suggesting that A) Bent doesn't fit in with that way of playing football, and B ) the current hoofball rubbish we're being served up is by choice rather than necessity.

Bent doesn't exactly work hard for the team so that's probably what he was referring to.

• Like 1

The questions needed to be asked but I am not surprised at PL's responses.  He is not going to come out and slate Bent is he?  Not sure what people expect.  More questions need to be asked about his playing style, his tactics, lack of improvement in the team, lack of use of youngsters.  Colley touched on it with his comment on how comfortable things are at Villa. 

• Like 1

Bent doesn't exactly work hard for the team so that's probably what he was referring to.
Good point. Bent is a poaching striker, and he doesn't fit with the shape of the team as it is, so I actually have no real problem with him being loaned out even when or goal tally is so low. The question for me is: should we really be playing the football that we are right now? Sitting back and counter attacking is not going to suit Bent, but it's not exactly providing us with great results or entertaining matches, so should we be sticking with it or should we perhaps try something else?

Â