Paul Lambert

limpid

Then we had QPR, Spurs, West Ham & Southampton where we should have had L,W,D,D or better if it was not for 1 stupid incident by Benteke.

I think that's a very biased analysis.  You mention the benteke mistake costing us but fail to mention the mistake that allowed us to score against southampton.  I also think we were very fortunate to get a draw against west ham, they missed some very good chances.  

So you can understand then why I'm ready to continue to believe things could be different this season as one incident by Benteke is all that is the difference between us being on 15 points in 12th with 7 of the 12 games played being against last seasons top 8 teams.

No as i don't agree it's one mistake from benteke being the difference.  I think that's a really simple dismissal of numerous issues that have been on show this season.

Last year our record with benteke was not much different without him, while he's a superb player I don't think think he is the answer to all our problems.  Last season showed that we were unable to provide him with decent service or surround him with the quality he needs.  He isn't ronaldo or messi, he's not going to consistently produce magic without any help from his team mates.

The nightmare won't end until Lerner goes or drastically changes policy, unfortunately.

Don't agree with this. 

Shockingly it could change with a different manager in charge. I think its more than worth the risk. No manager who came in would want to be the one to relegate Villa. So I really think its worth, being that who ever it was would have to be at the top of there game. Do you really think Lambert is at the moment, if he his, I don't agree that he is the manager to take us any further.

What makes you think that much will change? We'll still have no squad depth and an owner that won't spend and wants out. No manager "wants" to relegate any team, so I don't see what that's got to do with anything. At the moment we are a very unattractive prospect for managers due to the reasons I just mentioned.

Edited by Mantis

For those that wish to stick with Lambert because it's 'Better the Devil You Know' well we know that this particular devil is not doing a 'Hell' of a job.

It is time to take a chance on a new manager who might turn out to be a God.

The nightmare won't end until Lerner goes or drastically changes policy, unfortunately.

Don't agree with this. 

Shockingly it could change with a different manager in charge. I think its more than worth the risk. No manager who came in would want to be the one to relegate Villa. So I really think its worth, being that who ever it was would have to be at the top of there game. Do you really think Lambert is at the moment, if he his, I don't agree that he is the manager to take us any further.

What makes you think that much will change? We'll still have no squad depth and an owner that won't spend and wants out. No manager "wants" to relegate any team, so I don't see what that's got to do with anything. At the moment we are a very unattractive prospect for managers due to the reasons I just mentioned.

Philosophy

Coaching

Style

tactics

Positioning

Motivation

Confidence

Setup

Stadium atmosphere

This can all change with a new manager.

• Like 4

For those that wish to stick with Lambert because it's 'Better the Devil You Know' well we know that this particular devil is not doing a 'Hell' of a job.

Mate, that was truly awful.  :o

Mate, that was truly awful.  :o

Thank you. I aim to please.  :)

• Like 1

Remember when Brian Little walked out of the club because he didn't want to be the manager who took us down and that's where we were heading.

In came Mr J. Gregory and most fans were WTF.

What was his record 9 wins in 11 games.

And some say that changing the manager won't make any difference.

If Lambert wants to get the fans back on side perhaps he should try and win a few games rather than trying not to lose them.

Remember when Brian Little walked out of the club because he didn't want to be the manager who took us down and that's where we were heading.

If Lambert wants to get the fans back on side perhaps he should try and win a few games rather than trying not to lose them.

I think our scum bag neighbours are a perfect example.  Club is probably run worse than ours, financial restraints in the league worse than ours but the club decided enough was enough and the fans are excited again and they've started picking up results.

I think our scum bag neighbours are a perfect example.  Club is probably run worse than ours, financial restraints in the league worse than ours but the club decided enough was enough and the fans are excited again and they've started picking up results.

Problem is, whilst I agree with your point, for every successful 'bump' from a new manager, there are double the amount that aren't successful.

Problem is, whilst I agree with your point, for every successful 'bump' from a new manager, there are double the amount that aren't successful.

There's no doubt it's a gamble but for me it would spark an interest that i'm fast losing in this club.

There's no doubt it's a gamble but for me it would spark an interest that i'm fast losing in this club.

But if you are Lerner, you have a manager who has proven he can keep a side up on a limited budget - would you gamble on a manager who may or may not? Baring in mind he can't recoup his money at present, he's hardly likely to gamble it away.

As a championship club, he'd struggle to shift us for a sub £50m.

• Like 2

Then we had QPR, Spurs, West Ham & Southampton where we should have had L,W,D,D or better if it was not for 1 stupid incident by Benteke.

I think that's a very biased analysis.  You mention the benteke mistake costing us but fail to mention the mistake that allowed us to score against southampton.  I also think we were very fortunate to get a draw against west ham, they missed some very good chances.  

I'm talking about a stupid decision by our best player to get sent off over nothing. That decision and it's impact on the game was Bentekes fault, not Lamberts. You then try to play that as similar to normal events that occured in the other matches, most goals are scored by mistakes you know. 

We lost to QPR, we needed a performance in the next match against Spurs and we got a superb one and everyone was back feeling good until that one moment of idiocy from Benteke. The what if he didn't get sent off rings through my mind, would we have 7 points from those games instead of 2 with people in buoyant mood? Quite possibly, 5 points at the least.

But that is me, approaching this with logic rational thought. 

Edited by CVByrne
  • Like 1

Philosophy

Coaching

Style

tactics

Positioning

Motivation

Confidence

Setup

Stadium atmosphere

This can all change with a new manager.

"Can" being the key word there.

Indeed. There is a point where fear of relegation overrides fear of the unknown that comes with change....

... for those at that point, "can" is synonymous with "hope" rather than associated with "risk".

• Like 1

When Paul Lambert became our manager we just finished 16th in the league under Alex McLeish.

The brand of football was dull and negative and the general feeling seemingly was one that the McLeish was not getting the most out of the squad.

Three seasons on now Paul Lambert has outspent on a net basis (since he arrived) half of the division and one would expect that 

a) the brand of football should have improved by now

b ) the football on show to be entertaining as Lambert promised.

c) if the manager is getting the best out of the squad then mid-table should be achievable.

Look at why McLeish was sacked and consider where we are now.

The brand of football is dull and negative and we still sit in 16th place.

Lambert out.

Edited by Brumstopdogs

Yet after 92 games you were not at all calling for his sacking. 8 games later you want him gone. So your 100 games argument, very weak in my opinion. 

And before you or others immediately type the words "Well I knew that was only temporary, that we'd slump back to this afterwards etc..."  nonsense, instead post a link to the time between Liverpool & Arsenal matches this season where you called for Lambert out. 

It would be a quiet thread if people had to do that   ;)

I've only just started calling for him to step down, but I wouldn't have shed any tears if he'd gone in the summer.

And for your information I expressed my concerns about our approach when we got a fluke against Man City 3-2 and I defended him when we lost to QPR.

I'm happy with my consistency.

I'd actually say it's mostly the constant defenders on here who cannot see past the result and never seem to see the performance.

• Like 1

I'm talking about a stupid decision by our best player to get sent off over nothing. That decision and it's impact on the game was Bentekes fault, not Lamberts. You then try to play that as similar to normal events that occured in the other matches, most goals are scored by mistakes you know. 

We lost to QPR, we needed a performance in the next match against Spurs and we got a superb one and everyone was back feeling good until that one moment of idiocy from Benteke. The what if he didn't get sent off rings through my mind, would we have 7 points from those games instead of 2 with people in buoyant mood? Quite possibly, 5 points at the least.

But that is me, approaching this with logic rational thought. 

I keep trying to leave this thread then read stuff like this.

The performance against Spurs is now assuming legendary status....'a superb one'.........if that doesnt show how delusional some are becoming what does ?

I saw the game.  There was nothing, nothing, about it that was in any way superb.  And I dont recall anybody saying so afterwards, still less at the time.

In fact I have only seen two or three superb perfromances from the Villa in some years now.

It was not really any more than what we should all expect those players to come up with every week (and all the more damning for that - where was that perfromance for god knows how many other games ?).  And it was against a Spurs side who were well below par.

Then to cap it you say 'everyone was back to feeling good'.

My God do you really feel good after one decent perfromance with all the dross that surrounds it ?

At best, absolute best, it made it look like Lambo can/could get a perfromance that merited the name from the Team........and thats all.

Perfromances since have merely emphasised that his style will bring us tiny feast followed by large famine on a regular basis as any analysis of his time here will show has always been the case.

The ability of the side to get good results on occassion is another factor which should, by any reasonable logic, destroy the idea that it is a wages, spending, or quality of player problem.

If the job of a Manager is anything at all, it is to consistently coax the maximum from his players.  It utterly baffles me how anyone still thinks (despite all the evidence of results) that PL does this, and it baffles me even more that some are so frightened of who may come next they want to stick with someone who patently simply cannot do that most essential, most basic, task.

• Like 4

Â