Paul Lambert

limpid

Why did Lambert waste the cost of a plane ticket to Dortmund where he watched BD hassle, harry and over run Arsenal completely bullying them and then sit back and let them play how they wanted against us???

Was it the little poorly players???

Or Lambert's inability to actually impliment tactics that don't involve 20% possession??

Edited by DelboyVilla

Why did Lambert waste the cost of a plane ticket to Dortmund where he watched BD hassle, harry and over run Arsenal completely bullying them and then sit back and let them play how they wanted against us???

Or Lambert's inability to actually impliment tactics that don't involve 20% possession??

Are you honestly comparing Aston Villa to Borussia Dortmund?

Honestly?

Really?

Edited by bobzy

Honestly?

Really?

No, I haven't compared us to Borussia Dortmund but they had a style of play which worked against Arsenal and it is hardly a great secret in fact in the first game last year I think we bullied them a bit.

Are you saying that we are incapable of playing a pressing game?

Honestly?

Really?

No, I haven't compared us to Borussia Dortmund but they had a style of play which worked against Arsenal and it is hardly a great secret in fact in the first game last year I think we bullied them a bit.

Did you watch the game?

While harshly worded I kind of get your point. I imagine our game plan was effected by the sickness and loss of key players.

Against Liverpool we pressed and hassled them throughout. I think the players were physically unable to do this due to a few factors.

If the arsenal performance becomes the normal way we play then fair enough, criticism will be justified. But after a great start to the season we should allow that poor performance when there's other circumstances that contributed to it.

For the first half an hour we did everything you are suggesting. Then we lost 3 goals in 4 barmy minutes.

Also the "poorly players" thing can't have helped, no. Unless you're suggesting that is a lie?

A certain style of play works for one team but not necessarily another, though.  Dortmund are one of the best pressing teams in European football.  Barcelona are one of the best possession-based teams in European football.

When it comes to playing against a Champions League side, I don't expect Villa to match the abilities of these kind of clubs - it's ridiculous.

Edited by bobzy

While harshly worded I kind of get your point. I imagine our game plan was effected by the sickness and loss of key players.

Against Liverpool we pressed and hassled them throughout. I think the players were physically unable to do this due to a few factors.

If the arsenal performance becomes the normal way we play then fair enough, criticism will be justified. But after a great start to the season we should allow that poor performance when there's other circumstances that contributed to it.

Slightly disagree with on the Liverpool game in that we hassled and closed down their important players in Gerrard, Henderson and Coutinho and let the rest have the ball (swapped from Coutinho to Sterling when required) you can't do this so easily against the Arse as they have better footballers but they can be very light weight and don't like pressure! We let them play though!

Slightly disagree with on the Liverpool game in that we hassled and closed down their important players in Gerrard, Henderson and Coutinho and let the rest have the ball (swapped from Coutinho to Sterling when required) you can't do this so easily against the Arse as they have better footballers but they can be very light weight and don't like pressure! We let them play though!

It's true arsenal have better players which is why the sickness bug made our job even harder.  TBF we lost westwood in the warm up and weimman was throwing up at half time.  It's going to have an effect on how much we can keep the energy levels high throughout the match.

Look at the damage losing 8-0 to Chelsea did.

If we're 3-0 down, with half a team and a sickness bug in camp, you shut up shop and wait for next week. How that can argued is baffling IMO.

We did. Was just a crazy 4 minutes.

Edit: sorry misunderstood your point. I agree it was right to avoid further damage. Should have done same against Chelsea 2 seasons back. To continue to try and score was a joke.

Most of the time, trying to score is the right thing to do. It helps your goal difference. It helps restore a little pride. It's what the players want to do anyway. Finally, away fans haven't paid a fortune to travel to West London to see the team try to keep the ball near the corner flag for 45 minutes in an attempt to protect a four goal deficit. It's possible that that one game against Chelsea is different, because they were so so good and we were so so bad, but it shouldn't be general practice. 

Normally I agree, but there were some pretty exceptional circumstances on Saturday.

I agree about Saturday, I was talking about the Chelsea game though (I might have missed something there, if I did sorry). 

A certain style of play works for one team but not necessarily another, though.  Dortmund are one of the best pressing teams in European football.  Barcelona are one of the best possession-based teams in European football.

When it comes to playing against a Champions League side, I don't expect Villa to match the abilities of these kind of clubs - it's ridiculous.

Maybe not the abilities but the efforts certainly.

Aren't Liverpool a Champions League side?

A certain style of play works for one team but not necessarily another, though. Dortmund are one of the best pressing teams in European football. Barcelona are one of the best possession-based teams in European football.

How about the sickness? How about going 3 goals down in 4 minutes?

I'll keep asking.

A certain style of play works for one team but not necessarily another, though. Dortmund are one of the best pressing teams in European football. Barcelona are one of the best possession-based teams in European football.

How about the sickness? How about going 3 goals down in 4 minutes?

I'll keep asking.

As Gabby said you can't blame the sickness!

And you have to concentrate for 90 miuntes not just 86 minutes!

I hope we don't sit back against Chelsea!

I was asking you not Gabby. You don't think the sickness was a contributing factor?

Nobody said they stopped concentrating did they or is that what you're suggesting? They were beaten and choose to limit damage and according to the manager the sickness played a massive part in that.

Is he lying?

I was asking you not Gabby. You don't think the sickness was a contributing factor?

Nobody said they stopped concentrating did they or is that what you're suggesting? They were beaten and choose to limit damage and according to the manager the sickness played a massive part in that.

Is he lying?

You seem obessed with the lying thing and I never said anyone was lying but to be honest Lambert couldn't lie straight in bed could he look at all the lies HairyHands posted on here as gospel reportedly from Lamberts mouth?

Yes it seems to have affected us but these things happen and you have to deal with them. I will never take a defeat easily and will always be disappointed. It's not been an easy 2 and a bit years for me!!

You can't press like Dortmund if you aren't trained every week like they are to do so, especially so if half your team is feeling unwell. 

Most of what has been good about us this season has a foundation in pressing early and high up the pitch, with a lot of energy for 90 mins.

We saw that in the first half hour against arsenal too. I think we'll see it a lot this season.

• Like 2

Is he lying?

You seem obessed with the lying thing and I never said anyone was lying but to be honest Lambert couldn't lie straight in bed could he look at all the lies HairyHands posted on here as gospel reportedly from Lamberts mouth?

Yes it seems to have affected us but these things happen and you have to deal with them. I will never take a defeat easily and will always be disappointed. It's not been an easy 2 and a bit years for me!!

Well according to the manager it had a massive effect. Perhaps he is exaggerating the severity of the situation by closing the training ground for "a couple of days"? Not sure I get the HH reference. 

Nobody takes defeat easy. Alas it is part of the game. It hasn't been an easy 2 years for anyone, but it has been a good start to the season. To me they still looked a much better side on Saturday to the one that closed last season, should have taken the lead too, then shit happened and under the circumstances the right thing to do was shut up shop. IMO of course. Odd little game, onwards and upwards. 

• Like 2

Â