Paul Lambert

limpid

All I said was that some people are never going to give him any credit for anything. It's already happening.

Something like this...the good start, the stronger squad, the fixed finances, the new contract...I'd have thought it would give people food for thought that maŷbe they've not fully appreciated The Limitations at have been in place on Lambert or the toughness of the job, and now we might possibly be seeing real improvement in all aspects of the club thanks to a bit of stability. Yet I've seen (one or two) suggestions that this is all down to Keane, for example, which alone ignores the fact that we have half a new team. Seems typical to me.

Edited by praisedmambo
  • Like 1

I have no idea what Lerner and the management think about Lamberts reign as they don't share their thoughts with us, which is quite correct.

Well his statement in the summer and the new contract are fairly large clues.

True, but sometimes what is said in public statements, and what is said in private are sometimes totally different. See the support of McLeish, followed by sacking. See Downing saying he owed us and was going to stay, to forcing a move through to Liverpool. They are just two of many instances over the years. I am a little sceptical on what comes out on media soundbites sometimes.

I have no idea what Lerner and the management think about Lamberts reign as they don't share their thoughts with us, which is quite correct.

True, but sometimes what is said in public statements, and what is said in private are sometimes totally different. See the support of McLeish, followed by sacking. See Downing saying he owed us and was going to stay, to forcing a move through to Liverpool. They are just two of many instances over the years. I am a little sceptical on what comes out on media soundbites sometimes.

Yeah but a new long term contract isn't a media soundbite.

And, if you read the rest of the paragraph that you part quoted, I write that it appears the are happy with the job he is doing. So I am confused why you are picking on this point?

All I said was that some people are never going to give him any credit for anything. It's already happening.

Something like this...the good start, the stronger squad, the fixed finances, the new contract...I'd have thought it would give people food for thought that maŷbe they've not fully appreciated Lambert's limitations or the toughness of the job. Yet I've seen (one or two) suggestions that this is all down to Keane, for example, which alone ignores the fact that we have half a new team. Seems typical to me.

It's not being negative not wanting to give Lambert a new contract in fact it's a positive move really. Let's see if he can actually operate when keeping his job depends on performances and results?

I don't think that 5 games in a season is the right time to essentilally reward a manager who ok has operated within a ridiculously small budget but has never had any pressure regarding performance or results.

If he remains here for the length of his contract where does that place him in a list of managers length of service with us?

He'd certainly be the longest serving Villa manager in my lifetime. IIRC a Villa manager hasn't surpassed 4 years for a very long time.

Hopefully his contract will contain some performance related clauses because if the team suddenly start playing like they were last season again it should be terminated with immediate effect

I would have waited till January to see where we were and how much we have progressed but if the board have come to the decision to renew his contract after 4 games and genuinely do think he has turned the corner then fair enough and he will have my backing but only time will tell

I think him signing a new deal will have a positive effect with getting Vlaar and Delph back on board as well as they would probably have wanted assurances on who their manager will be 6 months down the line

Edited by AshVilla
  • Like 1

If he remains here for the length of his contract where does that place him in a list of managers length of service with us?

He'd certainly be the longest serving Villa manager in my lifetime. IIRC a Villa manager hasn't surpassed 4 years for a very long time.

Ron Saunders was the last.

Edit - Looking at the Wiki for Villa managers, seeing out the next 4 years would put him 3rd all time behind Saunders and George Ramsay.

At that point he'd be ~2 years behind Saunders and and ~36 years behind Ramsay.

Edited by ArteSuave

And, if you read the rest of the paragraph that you part quoted, I write that it appears the are happy with the job he is doing. So I am confused why you are picking on this point?

I read the whole of your post. I quoted the bit I did because it didn't make sense to me for the reasons I've given.

Why is everybody flaming anyone who's voiced the opinion that they're not happy with the contract?

I for one think it is a bit odd that a manager who has just presided over the worst home record in our history has been rewarded with a new contract.

Well, you could atart by looking at the reasons WHY,

I read the whole of your post. I quoted the bit I did because it didn't make sense to me for the reasons I've given.

Did you read the previous post? That was where i say the award of the contract suggests that Lerner is happy with Lambert. I think the point has been confused between the posts.

Just to clarify I am 90% happy that the contract has been sorted. My only gripe with Lambert is the cup exits to lower teams. Which although can happen, shouldn't happen with the regularity that they have in the last two seasons. If he can cut them out, and continue the improvement shown in the league then I will be a happy man. I understand that he has had a tough hand dealt to him, through cost cutting, injury problems etc. So I can see why we have had a tough couple of seasons in the League. Now is the time for Lambert to step up, and show that he can improve us. I would hope that we are now on a more even keel, and can maybe look to invest in key areas in the next twelve months.

Edited by NeilS

Did you read the previous post? That was where i say the award of the contract suggests that Lerner is happy with Lambert. I think the point has been confused between the posts.

Just to clarify I am 90% happy that the contract has been sorted. My only gripe with Lambert is the cup exits to lower teams. Which although can happen, shouldn't happen with the regularity that they have in the last two seasons. If he can cut them out, and continue the improvement shown in the league then I will be a happy man. I understand that he has had a tough hand dealt to him, through cost cutting, injury problems etc. So I can see why we have had a tough couple of seasons in the League. Now is the time for Lambert to step up, and show that he can improve us. I would hope that we are now on a more even keel, and can maybe look to invest in key areas in the next twelve months.

No I'd not and yes I think you are right, thanks for clarification, thats all I was after really.

In regards the paragraph above, I pretty much agree with every word.

No I'd not and yes I think you are right, thanks for clarification, thats all I was after really.

In regards the paragraph above, I pretty much agree with every word.

No worries, when I read back I realised that I had confused which post you were refering to and the one I was talking about. So if I was confused, you had no chance :D

• Like 1

Something like this...the good start, the stronger squad, the fixed finances, the new contract...I'd have thought it would give people food for thought that maŷbe they've not fully appreciated The Limitations at have been in place on Lambert or the toughness of the job, and now we might possibly be seeing real improvement in all aspects of the club thanks to a bit of stability. Yet I've seen (one or two) suggestions that this is all down to Keane, for example, which alone ignores the fact that we have half a new team. Seems typical to me.

But some of the "Negative fans" have praised Lambert for the start and the seemingly good purchases in the summer. However, some have added a caveat that it is very days (a perfectly reasonable view considering how the last yr panned out) and therefore they (myself included) feel it is very early to offering a four yr deal.

As for putting it down to Keane, I haven't seen anyone say it is all down to him, but based on the our history under Lambert it isn't inconceivable that Keane has had a positive impact on the squad.

• Like 1

Paul Lambert has done exactly what I expected him to do. When he took over I always said give him 3 years. The first 2 to sort this club out, the 3rd to push on. So far this season we're doing that. I can't believe anyone expected anything sooner and underestimate the mess we were in when he took over.

I'm just glad he didn't walk out on us ala pulis.

• Like 3

Paul Lambert has done exactly what I expected him to do. When he took over I always said give him 3 years. The first 2 to sort this club out, the 3rd to push on. So far this season we're doing that. I can't believe anyone expected anything sooner and underestimate the mess we were in when he took over.

I'm just glad he didn't walk out on us ala pulis.

This for me.

My only reservation was that dreadful run from December to the seasons end looked like it had reversed the gradual progress made before then.

Performances (more than the actual results) this season would suggest the cause of that lay elsewhere than with lambo and the departures and arrivals since then reflect very well on his judgement.

Ron Saunders was the last.

Edit - Looking at the Wiki for Villa managers, seeing out the next 4 years would put him 3rd all time behind Saunders and George Ramsay.

At that point he'd be ~2 years behind Saunders and and ~36 years behind Ramsay.

Looking at that list, our recent history appears the longest we have gone without some silverware (happy to be proven wrong).

That means we're due....

... and it starts this week against Arsenal ;)

Â