Paul Lambert

limpid

I can't decide if Lambert has been very unlucky or very lucky.

Very unlucky to have to have worked for an incompetent owner that has dealt him a very poor hand in terms of finances to build a squad able to compete in the Premier League. Or very lucky to have worked for an incompetent owner who has allowed a manger who has just dished up two of the worst consecutive seasons in terms of points gained and quality of football that I can remember to keep his job.

Either way as supporters we have certainly been very, very unlucky to have been dished up both Lerner and Lambert.

Edited by markavfc40
  • Like 4

Can't believe people are still backing this clown. Worst football I've seen and I've watched us since Tommy Docherty

• Like 1

Can't believe people are still backing this clown. Worst football I've seen and I've watched us since Tommy Docherty

It's probably because we know how shit the squad is and realise beggers can't be choosers. I'm not defending Lambert but I honestly thing Fergie would have struggled with this shit. The main shining light is Bentake and who bought him? That one signing makes him ok for me because without it we would be down.

Paul Lambert has been told he has a maximum of £10million to spend on strengthening Aston Villa’s squad this summer – and that includes wages and transfer fees, writes Neil Moxley for the Sunday People.

Villa’s boss has been searching in the bargain basement for players after a host of targets proved to be out of the club’s financial reach.

And the parameters of his close-season recruitment drive were spelled out during a meeting with club owner Randy Lerner in America.

Lambert wanted to add Joleon Lescott, Lewis Holtby, and Javier Hernandez to Villa’s ranks but their wage demands proved beyond the Birmingham club who have had to settle instead for Philippe Senderos and Joe Cole.

Lambert has been able to offer both players £1m-a-year – but with the average salary in the top-flight now £3.2m, he is having his work cut out to attract talent.

West Brom outbid Villa for Lescott’s services and Cole admitted he took a big pay cut to join.

Meanwhile, the extent of Lerner’s disillusionment with Villa has extended to him stripping his luxury retreat near the club’s training ground.

The base that the multi-millionaire was using when he stayed in England has been cleared.

Lerner was hardly spotted at Villa Park last season. Lambert said that he had attended several matches but wanted to remain incognito.

However, the American lawyer did not make himself available last December when Prince William visited for a goalless draw against Sunderland.

Mirror

Edited by GENTLEMAN

Paul Lambert has been told he has a maximum of £10million to spend on strengthening Aston Villa’s squad this summer – and that includes wages and transfer fees, writes Neil Moxley for the Sunday People.

Villa’s boss has been searching in the bargain basement for players after a host of targets proved to be out of the club’s financial reach.

And the parameters of his close-season recruitment drive were spelled out during a meeting with club owner Randy Lerner in America.

Lambert wanted to add Joleon Lescott, Lewis Holtby, and Javier Hernandez to Villa’s ranks but their wage demands proved beyond the Birmingham club who have had to settle instead for Philippe Senderos and Joe Cole.

Lambert has been able to offer both players £1m-a-year – but with the average salary in the top-flight now £3.2m, he is having his work cut out to attract talent.

West Brom outbid Villa for Lescott’s services and Cole admitted he took a big pay cut to join.

Meanwhile, the extent of Lerner’s disillusionment with Villa has extended to him stripping his luxury retreat near the club’s training ground.

The base that the multi-millionaire was using when he stayed in England has been cleared.

Lerner was hardly spotted at Villa Park last season. Lambert said that he had attended several matches but wanted to remain incognito.

However, the American lawyer did not make himself available last December when Prince William visited for a goalless draw against Sunderland.

Mirror

Should have gone all in for Lewis Holtby and left it with that one signing. Knowing Tottenham though, they might have wanted too much money for him. Hernandez and Lescott would have been useful, but I am not too fussed about them.

Edited by momo

Lambert is a genius for making this club survive. Don't know why so many can't see all the good stuff he has done. If injuries comes down to a normal level, the foreign players more used to the Premier League, and the young players a year older and wiser, this can be fun.

• Like 1

Lambert is a genius for making this club survive. Don't know why so many can't see all the good stuff he has done. If injuries comes down to a normal level, the foreign players more used to the Premier League, and the young players a year older and wiser, this can be fun.

Fans are frustrated by the level of entertainment that has been on show the last two/three years. It has been largely crap.

Edited by GENTLEMAN

Because he's spent over £40m and the squad is still shite? We had the "young players with a year under their belt" stuff last summer too.

• Like 1

I can't decide if Lambert has been very unlucky or very lucky.

Very unlucky to have to have worked for an incompetent owner that has dealt him a very poor hand in terms of finances to build a squad able to compete in the Premier League. Or very lucky to have worked for an incompetent owner who has allowed a manger who has just dished up two of the worst consecutive seasons in terms of points gained and quality of football that I can remember to keep his job.

Either way as supporters we have certainly been very, very unlucky to have been dished up both Lerner and Lambert.

^^^^ This is my favourite recent post and pretty much says it all.^^^^

Yeah, Lambert isn't one of the best but I honestly don't know how people can brand as one of the worst ever (or the worst Premier League manager).

I think they can brand him worst premier league manager as there's a case to argue that last year was our worst season in the premier league.

Yeah, Lambert isn't one of the best but I honestly don't know how people can brand as one of the worst ever (or the worst Premier League manager).

I think they can brand him worst premier league manager as there's a case to argue that last year was our worst season in the premier league.

It wasn't.

Quite simply, until Paul Lambert is given a wage and transfer budget in line with other mid table teams, there is no reason to judge him as poor.

I'll concede that the football is often terrible but he's trying desperately to keep us up with Championship wages and players because that's all we can afford.

• Like 2

Quite simply, until Paul Lambert is given a wage and transfer budget in line with other mid table teams, there is no reason to judge him as poor.

I'll concede that the football is often terrible but he's trying desperately to keep us up with Championship wages and players because that's all we can afford.

And trying to reduce our wage bill as he does it.

• Like 1

You or anyone else can think it was if you wish, I'm just saying it wasn't our worst ever PL season which is what you stated as if it were fact.

I didn't think I did.

I said there's a case to argue its the worst.

I don't agree that it's the worst, but even if it was that doesn't really mean a great deal when you consider the conditions he had to work under with regards to injuries and spending.

To be honest I think people exaggerate how bad last season was just a little bit. It was poor yes, but up until the end of March (and Benteke's injury) it felt like a pretty non-eventful season where we weren't challenging for anything but weren't in any danger of going down either.

Lambert's first season was much worse for me.

Edited by Mantis

Â