Paul Lambert

limpid

They've just said in the news that we were thrashed last night.

It probably says everything about our defence that I'm so used to letting in four goals that I no longer see it as being thrashed anymore. It's just the norm.

If he is to stay, he needs to buy defenders. Not strikers.

He bought one last summer that got injured.

Not true. He bought another one which has already been demoted to the bomb squad.

One central defender was not enough, and I said so at the time. The Chuckle Brothers shouldn't be anywhere near a Premier League team. It's not just about talent though. The general organisation of the defence is awful.

How many other comparable teams have 4 well paid, established Centre Halves?

Lambert shelled out £4M + Decent wages on a promising centre-half talent. The intended partnership was Vlaar + Okore with Clark and Baker as backup. Clark and Baker as not as bad as you make out...first team top 6 prem defenders...no.....squad players within a mid-table prem side...yes.

West Brom (unfortunately) are about our level at the moment and their centre backs are Olsson, McCauley, Dawson and Lugano. Clark and Baker are better than 3 of those.

It probably says everything about our defence that I'm so used to letting in four goals that I no longer see it as being thrashed anymore. It's just the norm.

I would suggest he needs to buy some midfielders who can offer more protection to the defence, and offer more help to the attack. Midfielders with experience and guile. Sadly missing from our current lineup.

• Like 2

I would suggest he needs to buy some midfielders who can offer more protection to the defence, and offer more help to the attack. Midfielders with experience and guile. Sadly missing from our current lineup.

Totally agree miss that midfielder from the line up that can dominate the midfield.

If Lambert leaves the club, the only direction for him is down. He will not get a job better than this. He may as well stay. 

He won't stay as it will affect the business, ST sales will be down if he stays. Instead we will get the corporate sales pitches of an American with a new manager and repeat the cycle.

STs make up such a tiny proportion of the overall income to any premiership club that this effect is totally over-estmated by some. Obviously if people turned away in droves i.e average 25k attendances, we'd have a problem...but lets face it...underneath is all, we're a loyal bunch and will always fluctuate between 33 and 42k average. 

If Lambert leaves the club, the only direction for him is down. He will not get a job better than this. He may as well stay. 

He won't stay as it will affect the business, ST sales will be down if he stays. Instead we will get the corporate sales pitches of an American with a new manager and repeat the cycle.

STs make up such a tiny proportion of the overall income to any premiership club that this effect is totally over-estmated by some. Obviously if people turned away in droves i.e average 25k attendances, we'd have a problem...but lets face it...underneath is all, we're a loyal bunch and will always fluctuate between 33 and 42k average. 

It's not the income, it's the image. having 42k seater stadium and empty seats all over the place is not a good image. Randy isn't stupid enough to think yes on a balance sheet, we may be tiny proportion however in terms of the club, you need the fans.

I think for nearly an hour last night we were in the game but we couldn't defend like that all night. City have put more goals past better teams so im not that down after the result. He does look like a dead man walking though

I'm sorry mate, but stretching every sinew to defend,defend,defed and holding on for grim life is not 'being in the game'.

We didn't park the bus, we parked a fleet of buses and still got battered.

Yes, we were always on a hiding to nothing last night.

Yes we have injury problems.

Yes man City are champions elect.

But **** me, show some pride....get in their faces, harry and chase, try and play the game further up the pitch than on your own half way line.

'The shackles were off last night', according to PL.

So, why didn't we play like it ?

Hmmmm, I wonder if West Ham will approach their game on Sunday the same way we did.

They'll probably get tanked as well, but at least go down fighting.   

I hate this kind of argument.

That starting line-up he had available to him last night was not premier league standard (not his fault, but TERRIBLE injury luck and due to lack of NET investment)

PL has made his team punch above their weight numerous times this season, a fantastic example being the bloody REVERSE FIXTURE.

It doesn't take a rocket scientist to apply basic statistics to situations like this. Going into the game, given the title challening circumstance and our lack of depth, we had a limited chance of success..on the odd ocasion we'll overcome those odds, but the MAJORITY of times we wont. You cant EXPECT to win games like last night, we adopted a game plan which was fairly effective for 60 minutes, we didnt have the available quality to turn it around. It happens, it happened to a lot of teams this year and will happen a lot more to us unless significant investment happens.

Getting rid of PL would be short team reactiveness, just another orbit of the merry-go-round and wont address the fundamental issues at the club. I have a horrible feeling that we'll be sat here debating whether <insert next manager> has what it takes too.  

• Like 1

What's the point in protecting garbage? I'd be with you if the Chuckles were not making ridiculous mistakes, giving away silly, stupid free kicks and penalties week in, week out.

What's the point in protecting garbage? I'd be with you if the Chuckles were not making ridiculous mistakes, giving away silly, stupid free kicks and penalties week in, week out.

Without a fit effective target man, we struggle to control the possession of most games (not talking just about % of time on ball, but even where we're able to contain the other team to use their possession) therefore, the likeliness of our CDs giving away fouls in key areas increases due to the higher proportion of opposition possession in and around our 'danger zones'. 

Most teams aren't unlucky enough to have their 2 target men injured at the same time for prolonged periods.

Taking last night as an example, neither Bowery nor Weimann are the hold-it-up/stretch their defence type strikers unlike Benteke/Kozak ang Gabby. Therefore, Man City were able to push up and put pressure on our defence.

Just watch any other bottom half team, it's a common issue.

He bought one last summer that got injured.

Not true. He bought another one which has already been demoted to the bomb squad.

One central defender was not enough, and I said so at the time. The Chuckle Brothers shouldn't be anywhere near a Premier League team. It's not just about talent though. The general organisation of the defence is awful.

What's not true, he bought okore to play alongside vlaar?

I don't rate baker and Clark but I'd be happy with them as back up to play every now and again, the trouble is we've had to rely on them week in week out. Isn't baker only 22? Playing week in week out in the prem as a centre back is asking a lot.

I don't rate baker and Clark but I'd be happy with them as back up to play every now and again, the trouble is we've had to rely on them week in week out. Isn't baker only 22? Playing week in week out in the prem as a centre back is asking a lot.

He didn't just sign one defender. Unfortunately the other one was deemed so poor he's already in the Bomb Squad v2. If Baker was going to be any good then he'd have shown it by now. He's garbage. Surely the frequency we let in four goals, give away penalties - these things happen for a reason. The teams defence stinks. Yes - players around them make a difference - but the most integral part of the defending of the team is the quality of the defenders. And they are very poor. Baker and Clark wouldn't be in any Premier League squad - the only reason why they are in ours is because they are cheap and came through the youth ranks.

• Like 1

He didn't just sign one defender. Unfortunately the other one was deemed so poor he's already in the Bomb Squad v2. If Baker was going to be any good then he'd have shown it by now. He's garbage. Surely the frequency we let in four goals, give away penalties - these things happen for a reason. The teams defence stinks. Yes - players around them make a difference - but the most integral part of the defending of the team is the quality of the defenders. And they are very poor. Baker and Clark wouldn't be in any Premier League squad - the only reason why they are in ours is because they are cheap and came through the youth ranks.

I didn't say he signed just one. Okore coming back will feel like a new signing.

Just because Luna is deemed not good enough doesn't make him part of the bomb squad. I'm glad that Lambert has realised this and addressed it.

Clark and baker would be in most teams squad from 11th down.

We did exactly what I expected the team to do last night and that was  to stick 11 men behind the ball last night and invite city on to us in the hope we could hold out for a draw which was never going to work against city like it did against Chelsea. To be honest how we weren't 3 down at half time was down to luck more than anything else. Zabaletya seemed to have the freedom of the right side of our penalty box which was a game long problem for us and we did nothing to stop.

As for the fourth goal as brilliantly as Toure took it he ran from his own half through the middle of the pitch and our defence, shocking!

There's no point parking two buses and leaving a 30m gap between them, we need another plan and Lambert doesn't seem to have one.

I dont think Luna has been bombed yet.

It will not be the first time that a player from a different country has struggled in a new one.

For those old enough think of Des Walker.  Class player for Forest and England but went to Juventus and came back within a year.  Was never considered the same again but probably played at the same standard for Sheff Wed as he had for Forest.

Luna could still come good having a second pre-season under his belt with his new team.

What can you say about Lamberts tactics ! IMHO it is impossable to defend for 90 minutes against a team like Man $ity and expect to come away with a draw.

Another tactical masterpiece from Mr Lambert.

Serious question, does Lambert not at least deserve an opportunity where he is not massively handicapped by our finances?

His more expensive signings have generally been his better ones, and he has shown in glimpses that he can get us playing some decent stuff.

Believe me, I'm as disappointed as the rest of you that we weren't able to build on our performances and form from the end of last season/start of this season, and sure he has made a lot of mistakes, but I just feel that he has been hindered by a number of factors such as injuries/players loss of form.

• Like 3

What can you say about Lamberts tactics ! IMHO it is impossable to defend for 90 minutes against a team like Man $ity and expect to come away with a draw.

Another tactical masterpiece from Mr Lambert.

It would've been naive at best to attack them. It could've ended 10-0!!

With a team like Man $ity ( full of the most expensive internationals ) it is stuptd to defend for 90 minutes with 5 at the back.On more than 1 occasion we punted the ball upfield and there was no one there.Which means that our plan was to sit back for the whole game and come away with a point....I dont think so ?!

To be honest im happy to change the manager every 2 seasons until we get a good one. Man U, Chelsea, Man City do it. Arsenal have found there manager. Ok may not be winning trophies but consistent, an id be happy with that!!

Â