Paul Lambert

limpid

How do we know that the "dire brand of football" was Lambert's or Culverhouse's influence? 

if manager and coach have come to completely divergent views on how to set the team up and tactics, it's entirely possible that you're not going to have a situation of play one style one week, another the next. one view will win out. Culverhouse and Karsa were bullies. I reckon the dire football was their doing.

In that case, Lambert should resign now. He is the manager and if we are seriously expected to believe he is so weak that he let his coaches bully the players and actually play a style of football he didn't agree with, he is no use to us. We need a manager who can manage.

• Like 1

How do we know that the "dire brand of football" was Lambert's or Culverhouse's influence? 

if manager and coach have come to completely divergent views on how to set the team up and tactics, it's entirely possible that you're not going to have a situation of play one style one week, another the next. one view will win out. Culverhouse and Karsa were bullies. I reckon the dire football was their doing.

In that case, Lambert should resign now. He is the manager and if we are seriously expected to believe he is so weak that he let his coaches bully the players and actually play a style of football he didn't agree with, he is no use to us. We need a manager who can manage.

Possibly true.

I'm not sure we know what Lambert knew exactly. He didn't take the training sessions. In modern football they are delegated to the coaches.

If it is true he let the bullying happen - nobody has said that yet, investigation is under-way - then I'd agree he would have to go.

Right now my impression is he was kept in the dark and not only that was a victim of the bullying. With modern employment law and stringent finances it's not possible to just fire two people to solve your problem. Lambert was probably forced to keep working with them against his wishes for longer than he wanted.

• Like 2

From what I've been told Lambo slaughters his players at BMH too. I wouldn't be overly concerned though as football is ruthless & this is pretty much par for most football clubs.

Similarly, Mancini apparently is one of the most confrontational characters in football both as a player & especially so as a manager.

The professional football industry is no place for the faint hearted.

From what I've been told Lambo slaughters his players at BMH too. I wouldn't be overly concerned though as football is ruthless & this is pretty much par for most football clubs.

Similarly, Mancini apparently is one of the most confrontational characters in football both as a player & especially so as a manager.

The professional football industry is no place for the faint hearted.

I would agree you can't take criticism out of the game. It's not bullying to tell someone they're playing crap.

However, there is always a limit.

Brendan Rodgers has shown that you don't need to bully players to get them playing. He feeds their egos. Managers need to be capable of ego-busting and ego-boosting, and knowing when to use which.

The bullying episode is for me a question mark over Lambert's position but it is not conclusive. I'd trust the club to fire him if they thought he did anything wrong.

Apologies if this has been posted already. 

Telegraph,

Percy, John

Randy Lerner will reveal his plans for Aston Villa’s future next week and Paul Lambert is anxious to discover if he will be part of it.

Lerner is expected to announce his intention to sell the club and his hopes of agreeing a £200 million deal will have been strengthened by Villa staying in the Premier League.

But Lambert is clearly in limbo, unable to offer any assurances he will remain as manager and having to postpone any preparations for next season.

Huge changes are inevitable this summer, regardless of Lerner’s next statement, and there is a sense that Lambert could be on his way.

When asked if he believed he would be manager next season, he said: “I hope so, that is what I want to do. All I can do is plan for tomorrow. Whatever happens, I’m too long in the tooth to think about it. It will bring clarity and it will not be a problem, whatever way Randy wants to play it.

“The last couple of years have been tough. The chairman has said himself I have had to work within the para-meters he has set, you either take on the challenge or bottle it.”

Relegation to the Championship would have undoubtedly damaged Lerner’s plans but this victory over a wimpish Hull City never looked in doubt.

Ashley Westwood’s excellent finish after 57 seconds was cancelled out by Jordan Bowery’s own goal but two headers from Andreas Weimann terminated any fears of the drop.

Weimann said: “There is no reason for him [Lambert] not to be here. Of course I want him to continue. It’s frustrating we can’t do it every week but all that matters is that we’re safe.”

While there was a palpable sense of relief around Villa Park, this was an excruciating experience for Steve Bruce, the Hull manager.

He had no option but to plug in the hairdryer at half-time, after a dismal opening 45 minutes, and has warned his players to regain their focus ahead of the FA Cup final, thanks to which they have qualified for next season’s Europa League, against Arsenal later this month.

“We won’t play that badly again. We won’t last long in Europe if we play like that,” he said. “I haven’t had to rant and rave on many occasions but there were a few words to be said. It’s difficult to keep everybody focused but this might be a gentle reminder that there’s always something there to bring you down a peg or two. We’ve still got a job to do here and a game against Manchester United on Tuesday. We will be better there because we couldn’t be any worse.”

Edited by JoeParker91
  • Like 1

Just a general point in that it never ceases to amaze me managers still have to motivate players. Put the egotistical bollock heads into a normal 9-5 job or into a shift pattern for a few months to show how the rest of us make a living then that should be enough.

• Like 1

Motivation might be needed for all sorts of reasons unconnected with willingness to work hard.

Players might be willing to work hard but still need motivation to overcome shyness, to be brave, to play more selfishly (e.g. if a striker). They might need motivation to adapt their game to a position that is not they've previously worked hard at to be their best one.

Regardless of the money players are on, all humans need motivation and leadership.

From a personal point of view the honour of wearing the shirt, playing in front of 35,000 fans and earning in a week what it would take those fans on the terraces to earn in a year would be all the motivation I would need.

Edited by shaggy

Regardless of the money players are on, all humans need motivation and leadership.

From a personal point of view the honour of wearing the shirt, playing in front of 35,000 fans and earning in a week what it would take those fans on the terraces to earn in a year would be all the motivation I would need.

Then make one shit pass or a mistake and get 35000 having a go at you - shit yourself and have a stinker  (sorry no pun intended) - and be labelled crap and judged after one game by the 'experts' on all the various forums. Some motivation indeed. :D  :P  ;)  (Just jesting by the way)..

With all due respect, you can't comment on motivation because you're not in that world.

By your logic, as soon as workers are promoted, they shouldn't have managers above them because the money should motivate them. Regardless of what you earn, we are all humans and are motivated differently.

• Like 1

But you're a fan, it's not your job.

No matter how much you love something, if you have to do that thing every day of your life, at some point you're going to need to be motivated to keep on going, footballers are humans after all. Not to mention the dogs bollocks abuse a lot of them get from some of those aforementioned 35,000 fans.

Just because someone earns £500k+ per year doesn't automatically make them happy or even mean that they don't find playing football tedious at times and they never need to be motivated.

• Like 1

If anything, a manager's job is MORE important in an environment such as a football club because the players will earn their wages anyway, regardless of performance.

Edited by StefanAVFC

Lambert doesn't serve up a poor brand a football, more our players are mostly incapable of dishing up anything better. I don't get comparisons with Mcleish. We've never been a defensive team under Lambert. A crap one maybe, but not defensive.

When our backs are too the wall and we (fans) are up for the game we often turn up under Lambert. In the matches against the bigger teams, must wins etc. The only stand-out exception would be the Bradford disaster.

We are shyte when not motivated, or playing in games we *should* win. But I think that as much to do with the toxic home crowd as it is Lambert. 

Imagine if the crowd was like Saturday every week... It's not a shock that we let Hull into the game when the crowd went silent after the first goal.

Time to go Lambo time to go

Time to Grow Lambo, time to grow. (grow the club)

ps- not Cojones because he has bigger ones than at least 35,000 I could mention. ;)

I actually agree with you. I back Lambert 100% now, when i see the potentially candidates, i'd rather back Lambert.

• Like 1

Â