Paul Lambert

limpid

That might carry weight if it were a one-off game but there have been numerous half-arsed displays served up this season. Also, let's not forget that we were woeful in the second-half after Lambert had an opportunity to give a team-talk and make changes. Remember, these are suppose to be the same 'young and hungry' players who it was claimed would 'run through brick walls' for him.

That might carry weight if it were a one-off game but there have been numerous half-arsed displays served up this season. Also, let's not forget that we were woeful in the second-half after Lambert had an opportunity to give a team-talk and make changes. Remember, these are suppose to be the same 'young and hungry' players who it was claimed would 'run through brick walls' for him.

Then surely questions need to be asked of the players.

Of course but ultimately the blame lies with the manager. It was the same during the McLeish season or during DOL's final season. There were disgraceful performances aplenty during both and the players involved deserved their share of criticism but ultimately we blamed the managers for overseeing it all. It is the same at any club in the world.

Edited by Isa

Of course but ultimately the blame lies with the manager. It was the same during the McLeish season or during DOL's final season. There were disgraceful performances aplenty during both and the players involved deserved their share of criticism but ultimately we blamed the managers for overseeing it all. It is the same at any club in the world.

There's not been many times under Lambert when there's been a lack of effort, which is the minimum you ask of a player.

I don't think yesterday was down to a lack of effort it is was done to a lack of the ability to put in consistent good performances over 38 games as we do not have the finances to get the best players . Hence why we are a lot nearer the bottom 3 than the top 6. At least it is vaguely interesting not knowing what type of performance Lambert's Villa will put out, as under the Scottish Manager you could almost predict the results before the match. A few more wins and then he has a huge summer ahead of him. The 3rd season will be the year to judge Lambert. If we are not seriously challenging for a top 8 next year then questions will have to be asked of him.

Edited by The Fun Factory
  • Like 2

I don't think yesterday was down to a lack of effort it is was done to a lack of the ability to put in consistent good performances over 38 games as we do not have the finances to get the best players

I partially agree that yesterday wasn't due to a lack of effort. I think it was more down to a number of payers lacking a pair of balls. We were bullied all over the pitch. The only outfiled players that could come out with some credit and who tried to put up a fight were Benteke and Delph.

I agree that we will not get consistent performances from this squad. We have a decent first 11 but little else to back it up and overall the squad is poor. Therefore as we have seen one or two injuries, suspensions or loss of form to our better players, Vlaar, Delph, Benteke, Gabby, and we really struggle.

We've struggled against physical teams for quite some time now, even way before Lambert and most of the current squad. I mean look at our record against Stoke - this is their 6th season in the Premier league yet we've only beaten them twice in that time, which is pretty poor when you consider that for the most part they've always been just a bunch of lower-midtable cloggers.

Edited by Mantis

The fact we had not won three game in a row at Villa Park for seven years is hardly Lambert's fault. We have been crap at home for years. I don't think we should sack Lambert, I did for the record around Christmas time, not least because I literally have no idea who we could replace him with who would work under the constraints Lerner has set.

My beef with Lambert is I think he is just not as good as we thought or hoped he was nor as good as the media think he is. Yesterday the players pressed the self destruct button and kept pressing but Lambert literally had no Plan B. Albrighton in the middle? Sylla seemingly in some sort of AM role? Holt thrown into the fray to be another striker who gets no service (echoes of Bradford)? Why not bring on Clark as a DM to give a big physical presence in midfield which is what Stoke had? But hey I'm not the manager.

When Lambert gets it right as against Chelsea its a joy to behold, when he does not its horrific as we saw yesterday.

Having said that the players must shoulder a huge responsibility for the defeat yesterday. Pub football is being kind to them. Yet again it was failure to do the basics right and too many players just seem to go through the motions. Much as I love Gabby what does he bring to the side beyond an unerring ability to run into blind alleys. Weimann has been awful all season save for his goal against Citeh. I could go on. But and its big but the manager also has a responsibility to get the players playing in the right way.

I think we can safely conclude that the 'young and hungry' experiment is a failure. We desperately need some experience brought in in the summer.

I've seen him get quite a bit of stick for Albrighton in the middle and Sylla on the right, but Sylla was just replacing El Ahmadi on the right of the midfield 3 and Albrighton replaced Weimann as one of the 3 forwards who I guess are meant to interchange. Looking at the bench he had and that both players came off injured, they weren't the worst decisions I've ever seen. It just shows how beyond the first XI we are very thin but that should change in the summer.

It is safe to enter?

Hope Lambert gave the players the bollocking they deserved, absolutely disgraceful lack of effort from them.

You can sometimes accept a loss when there's been effort. I said afelter we beat Chelsea that we'd lose to stoke, just so typical.

I don't see how Lambert can be blamed for yesterday but I'm sure some will find a way.

Lack of effort from both in my opinion. An absolute shocking result. 4-1 at home to anyone is pretty bad but Stoke? Just when I think Lambert and the team have turned a corner, we're back to a terrible performance we have shown at various stages this season.

Lack of effort or lack of quality, take your pick.

I think 4-1 flattered Stoke a little bit. Don't get me wrong, we were dire and deserved to lose, but it was one of those games that could've easily been a 1-0 defeat on another day.

Edited by Mantis

The fact we had not won three game in a row at Villa Park for seven years is hardly Lambert's fault. We have been crap at home for years. I don't think we should sack Lambert, I did for the record around Christmas time, not least because I literally have no idea who we could replace him with who would work under the constraints Lerner has set.

My beef with Lambert is I think he is just not as good as we thought or hoped he was nor as good as the media think he is. Yesterday the players pressed the self destruct button and kept pressing but Lambert literally had no Plan B. Albrighton in the middle? Sylla seemingly in some sort of AM role? Holt thrown into the fray to be another striker who gets no service (echoes of Bradford)? Why not bring on Clark as a DM to give a big physical presence in midfield which is what Stoke had? But hey I'm not the manager.

When Lambert gets it right as against Chelsea its a joy to behold, when he does not its horrific as we saw yesterday.

Having said that the players must shoulder a huge responsibility for the defeat yesterday. Pub football is being kind to them. Yet again it was failure to do the basics right and too many players just seem to go through the motions. Much as I love Gabby what does he bring to the side beyond an unerring ability to run into blind alleys. Weimann has been awful all season save for his goal against Citeh. I could go on. But and its big but the manager also has a responsibility to get the players playing in the right way.

I think we can safely conclude that the 'young and hungry' experiment is a failure. We desperately need some experience brought in in the summer.

I've seen him get quite a bit of stick for Albrighton in the middle and Sylla on the right, but Sylla was just replacing El Ahmadi on the right of the midfield 3 and Albrighton replaced Weimann as one of the 3 forwards who I guess are meant to interchange. Looking at the bench he had and that both players came off injured, they weren't the worst decisions I've ever seen. It just shows how beyond the first XI we are very thin but that should change in the summer.

Yeah this is how I saw it. I don't quite understand the uproar about these sub's, that were due to injury not Lambert deciding they were required to win us a game.

The problem with building such a young squad is young players are notoriously inconsistent and that has shown in our results.

It does take the mick though the ridiculous extremes of results we've had in his tenure and it doesn't reflect well on his managerial ability imo that we always flop badly after a result against a top team during his 18 months here.

If you fail to press teams, if you stand off teams, If you show a mentality that suggests you are not comfortable with the physical side of proceedings....that to me suggests lack of effort or drive or desire.

We are at the top of a mini league that has taken points off the top four, so that would suggest to me we do have ability and when we apply ourselves like the first goal on sunday we are more than capable.

what we don't do is close teams down unless its worth fighting for like a top scalp.....we thought we could beat stoke at canter and without getting dirty..(mistake)

we are clearly lacking some leaders in the team clearly illustrated by some of our inept performances against mid table teams like West Ham and Stoke....not signing Barry was a huge mistake, because our "young and hungry" are looking for a hand to hold.

In Boxing terminology I thought Westwood was "shadow boxing" for most of the match....you have to get a foot in and get ugly at times and disrupt teams.... we don't or only on occasions when its seems worth it.

Edited by TRO

The problem with building such a young squad is young players are notoriously inconsistent and that has shown in our results.

It does take the mick though the ridiculous extremes of results we've had in his tenure and it doesn't reflect well on his managerial ability imo that we always flop badly after a result against a top team during his 18 months here.

.....but these young 'uns ain't so young anymore....The argument is valid,( when they are c 20's) but waning.

I think its more about mentality and approach to the game.

• Like 1

.....but these young 'uns ain't so young anymore....The argument is valid,( when they are c 20's) but waning.

You make a decent point about the young lads not being so young anymore. Of the outfield players who featured yesterday Vlaar is 29, Delph 24, Gabby 27, KEA 29, Westwood 24, Bertrand 24, Albrighton 24, Holt 32. Even the likes of Baker, Sylla, Benteke are 23. The only really young lads were Bacuna at 21 and Weimann at 22.

I do however think we lack a bit of nous and natural leaders something that we will hopefully address in the summer.

We've struggled against physical teams for quite some time now, even way before Lambert and most of the current squad. I mean look at our record against Stoke - this is their 6th season in the Premier league yet we've only beaten them twice in that time, which is pretty poor when you consider that for the most part they've always been just a bunch of lower-midtable cloggers.

You could be right- I remember a corner in the second half and N'Zoni looked about a foot taller than Westwood who was supposed to be marking him.

You could be right- I remember a corner in the second half and N'Zoni looked about a foot taller than Westwood who was supposed to be marking him.

Their team is massive. Arnautavic is 6'4

It is a confidence issue. You can see the fear creep into the team and then half of them start hesitating on passes and become very static. It comes with having a very young team and i can only imagine its very frustrating for lambert. When the confidence is there and the team gets going we can take it to almost any team but its just so inconsistent. The team needs a few more cool heads - Vlaar/Westwood and sometimes delph are the only ones that come to mind who are always keeping things going (although as is westwoods position - when the team declines he struggles to have an impact/get on the ball)

Bacuna is a great example of this. Amazing vs Chelsea - had no fear of making runs or bashing into hazard and then vs Stoke he was useless. Didn't look up for it at all. People see this and automatically assume the manager has told him to not make any forward runs and i think its very short sighted in my opinion. There are plenty of plans being put into place during the game by Lambert and unfortunately some of them don't work and i think some of this comes down to trying to execute them with 800K players.

Look at Lamberts norwich team. Not all the most technically gifted players but they were the type of players who have no fear and will take it to anyone. Not all of Lamberts signings have turned out this way and i think it contributes to the inconsistancy we see. And yes they are his signings and therefore it is down to him BUT i don't think its always down to bad tactics.

Edited by Anything11

You make a decent point about the young lads not being so young anymore. Of the outfield players who featured yesterday Vlaar is 29, Delph 24, Gabby 27, KEA 29, Westwood 24, Bertrand 24, Albrighton 24, Holt 32. Even the likes of Baker, Sylla, Benteke are 23. The only really young lads were Bacuna at 21 and Weimann at 22.

I do however think we lack a bit of nous and natural leaders something that we will hopefully address in the summer.

We comfortably have the youngest average age in the league and only 6 players over 25 have played for us this season, a much lower number than the next youngest side. 

It's that lack of natural leadership which leads to the inconsistency. It's true that they are not teenagers anymore but most teams have 8 or 9 players over 25 and 2 or 3 youngsters in the mix. We have taken a different route for financial reasons, hopefully the team levels out as the players continue to grow. 

Â