Paul Lambert

limpid

Something I noticed today, and other games at vp I've been to.

Fans are always bemoaning are inability to keep possesion of the ball. When we are in possesion the vocal element in the crowd are urging us to pass forward. We make 4-5 easy passes across the defence and u can hear the tension rising...'forward...forward' they scream. Then the ball is passed backwards and the neanderthals are apoplectic....thus creating panic in the team and the player in possesion, who then feels he must punt it forward immediately to appease the idiots. Then it is described as hoof ball, that we are s**t and that's all we can do.

Or is it just me???

Think it's just you. The fans have become that way because they know its going to get hoofed forward. We've also played some awful long ball stuff away from home as well.

If the fans want it passed forward as soon as possible then inevitably it will be hoofed. There is nothing wrong with passing it backwards....now there's something to think about :D

There is when you have got Weimann. gabby and a class act like benteke awaiting some service!!

Fans are always bemoaning are inability to keep possesion of the ball. When we are in possesion the vocal element in the crowd are urging us to pass forward. We make 4-5 easy passes across the defence and u can hear the tension rising...'forward...forward' they scream. Then the ball is passed backwards and the neanderthals are apoplectic....thus creating panic in the team and the player in possesion, who then feels he must punt it forward immediately to appease the idiots. Then it is described as hoof ball, that we are s**t and that's all we can do.

Or is it just me???

The opposition can't score if you have the ball. I don't mind the passing across the back, however its the lack of movement in the middle that's the problem. There's only so many times you can pass it across the back before the opposition innevitably closes you down, this is when it goes back to guzan.

• Like 1

Or is it just me???

Its just you blaming the fans for Lamberts inadiquacies of not being able to coach, motivate and instill confidence in the team.

The fans don't help at all though do they. Had one idiot behind me who didn't shut up for the first 25 mins....not a peep when we were winning tho.

Lambert is a good manager, we will finish with more points than last year, of that I'm sure :P

• Like 1

I don't mind us keeping possession but sometimes we seem to pass back because of a serious lack of options to move the ball forward. I think the crowd get frustrated with this not just the fact the ball gets passed back.

Let's be honest with the shit we've served up for the last 18 months I don't think you can blame fans for being annoyed at times.

Or is it just me???

I notice this all the time. I doubt it's limited to only our fans but I can't stand it. They want possession, they want it to only go forward. You can't keep possession without going backwards sometimes.

Exactly

I think allot of our teams issues are confidence/mental related. Alan Smith actually touched upon it after we got the first goal. He said when Villa get into this mood they are very hard to handle for any team.

The threat of relegation has somewhat lifted from their shoulders so dont be surprised to see us kick on now.

Why we have this issue may be because the players are young and as fans nobody can deny Villa Park gets restless when things are clicking. Who knows?

When the team shows it can play so well at times, then, although every team will have its' off days, we should be able to play that way the majority of the time.

And I think that if it does not, then that has to be down to the management team.

I don't mind us keeping possession but sometimes we seem to pass back because of a serious lack of options to move the ball forward. I think the crowd get frustrated with this not just the fact the ball gets passed back.

Let's be honest with the shit we've served up for the last 18 months I don't think you can blame fans for being annoyed at times.

When there is a lack of options to go forwards you have to go backwards and keep the ball and wait for some decent movement.

More often than not we look to go from back to front too quickly when there's nothing on And lose it.

British fans have always moaned at not passing forwards all the time. It's a cultural thing that does our football no favours.

It's been an awful period, but how much of that is his fault? You understand the spending restrictions under Lerner, so how is having villa 7 points off relegation awful?

I think the football has mainly been awful, results mainly been awful and at the end of the seaosn I don't think we'll have many more points than last season. I think that's awful.

I guess my point is that he's had less money to strengthen than the teams around villa so even getting a slightly higher number of points is an accomplishment.

• Like 2

When there is a lack of options to go forwards you have to go backwards and keep the ball and wait for some decent movement.

Agreed but I think some of the groans are because there was no option not because we passed back and kept the ball.

• Like 1

Agreed but I think some of the groans are because there was no option not because we passed back and kept the ball.

Plus when villa go back it doesn't lead to patient probing, it usually leads to a hoof, whether it's cause the fans are groaning or not. (It's probably not cause the fans are groaning, it happens away as well)

Probably down to the players we have within the system (and why we and Lambert want a creative mid).  Westwood would be our best option at the moment (in my opinion) to be playing slightly further forward as he can pick a pass... but he's also the calmest midfielder we have with regards to not leaving the back line exposed.

Our possession has been decent the past few games to be honest.  I wonder if it's something we've worked on more during training?

Or is it just me???

Spot on. The ignorance at times is staggering.

Probably down to the players we have within the system (and why we and Lambert want a creative mid). Westwood would be our best option at the moment (in my opinion) to be playing slightly further forward as he can pick a pass... but he's also the calmest midfielder we have with regards to not leaving the back line exposed.

Our possession has been decent the past few games to be honest. I wonder if it's something we've worked on more during training?

Dont be silly, clearly nothing gets done at training.

About the Hoolahan celebration thing, there's disagreement amongst Norwich fans. Many are saying he doesn't usually over excitedly celebrate and that he did fist pump and the was mobbed.

Also some think he didn't celebrate as a screw you to hughton for not playing him most of the year.

Edited by Rovers13
  • Like 1

Probably down to the players we have within the system (and why we and Lambert want a creative mid). Westwood would be our best option at the moment (in my opinion) to be playing slightly further forward as he can pick a pass... but he's also the calmest midfielder we have with regards to not leaving the back line exposed.

Our possession has been decent the past few games to be honest. I wonder if it's something we've worked on more during training?

Dont be silly, clearly nothing gets done at training.

It certainly doesn't look like it at times

Â