Paul Lambert

limpid

Way before this result was decided, I was pissed off with what I was witnessing.

This was one of the worst Newcastle performances I have seen for yonks, but we simply sucked them in to the game through poor quality in individual play.....most of us if we are being honest, started to see it coming.....that's the most disturbing bit.

There seemed be a competition going on for which team could give the ball away the most.....a catalogue of unforced errors from both sides.

It just seemed on the day Remy outflanked Benteke on guile.

• Like 2

carnt see us getting much from norwich/man city/chelsea/stoke/man u in march

if we loose every game (when you look at it..its bloody possible) will RL get the panic balls out?

Realistically I think it will be too late if it would happen

May sound a bit pedantic but to be fair we were pretty decent against Everton at home for a lot of the game.

No, no, not pedantic at all, it's a very fair comment. You are right, we were good for the large part, but it was the sheer inability of our strikers to score, only for us to then ship 2 goals from very few shots.

To have said we were dog shit is a little harsh, but the rest of what I said I think was fair.

Way before this result was decided, I was pissed off with what I was witnessing.

This was one of the worst Newcastle performances I have seen for yonks, but we simply sucked them in to the game through poor quality in individual play.....most of us if we are being honest, started to see it coming.....that's the most disturbing bit.

There seemed be a competition going on for which team could give the ball away the most.....a catalogue of unforced errors from both sides.

It just seemed on the day Remy outflanked Benteke on guile.

What I found most disturbing is that we'd done the hard work. We'd got of top of them in the first half hour or so and the crowd were totally subdued. They were boo'd off at half time.

Start of the second half they looked just as lethargic yet we didn't go for the jugular. We backed off and allowed them into the game. They didn't win the game as they were as shit as us. We gave them the game by backing off and becoming complacent.

I knew as soon as Sylla came on for Westwood we were in trouble. It is at moments like that a manager sends a message to the whole team with who he chooses from his bench for an injured player. Sylla is one of the most limited players I have seen in a Villa shirt. He can run that is about it. Had Lambert have chosen Albrighton and gone with Delph and El Ahmadi in center, Gabby and Marc outwide, Benteke and Weimann up top it would have sent the message out we are going for this and we could have put Newcastle on the back foot. Lambert failed and it was no surprise in the end so did the team.

Edited by markavfc40
  • Like 1

May sound a bit pedantic but to be fair we were pretty decent against Everton at home for a lot of the game.

all sizzle..no sausage comes to mind

Of course when villa win a game like that where the other side maybe deserved it it's luck... Funny how that works

I think by the end of march we will be no higher than 16th.

Norwich is a huge game but can't see us getting anything from it.

I know others experienced relegation under Doug but I've never experienced 4 consecutive seasons like this. Its just depressing seeing how far we've dropped and let's face it even with a decent level of investment it will probably take another couple of years for us to be regular top half again. We have no long term future under this owner and manager. Its a disgrace that they've dropped us so low and it can't be much longer until the fans turn.

• Like 1

Lerner isn't going to change managers but surely there are managers out there who could be more tactically aware, play to a system that would suit our squad, have us better organised and instil a bit of confidence in the players.

If not then Paul Lambert must be one of the best managers around.

• Like 1

march will define what avfc are.. i dont think we will beat norwich because we need too, i think a draw, the rest will beat us, in content that should be enough for learner to pull the pin on lamberts vision.

that come on the back of a poor feb with 3 defeats and 1 draw. you reap what you sow

I'm surprised the fans haven't turned on Lambert/Lerner more to be honest. Almost as if the last few seasons has left them resigned to our current level and there being a 'at least he isn't Mcleish' mentality.

Both have been fortunate enough to replace truly hated people.

From the OS:

Gaffer's verdict: Lambert - We didn't deserve to lose that

Lambert, you poor deluded fool. 

OF COURSE we deserved to lose it because our midfield and forwards were useless all day and you put a player at left back who isn't good enough for League 1 and he gifted Remy a clear scoring chance which Vlaar and Bacuna, doing their Chuckle Brothers act, left him to finish off.

I don't believe we deserved to lose it either. Am I a "poor deluded fool" as well? Both teams were very poor IMO.

Well, I gave my reasoning in the post that you have quoted but, just in case you failed to read it, I'll say it again. Our forwards were poor all match and failed to capitalise on what few chances they created. We then gifted Newcastle a simple goal at the death. If that's not "deserving to lose" you would probably need to explain what you mean by the word "deserve".

The fact that both teams were poor is neither here nor there. We gifted them a goal. There is no ill-luck or ill-fortune involved there. If anything, Newcastle were the unlucky ones being denied a penalty when Bacuna clearly controlled the ball with his hand and hitting the post with Remy's 88th minute shot.

You completely missed the point. I wasn't trying to convince you to see things my way, I was just asking whether I'm not a "poor deluded fool" because I happen to believe that we didn't deserve to lose today?

Well, that's a slightly odd, self-regarding, question. 

My comment was about the manager and his apparent lack of self-awareness about what happened in the match today. That's quite important because if he is going to put things right, he has to realise it wasn't just about bad luck.

Fans will have all sorts of opinions about the game today, better or worse informed. I'm not sure it would be sensible to try to comment on the views of fans. They don't really matter in making the team better.

Edited by briny_ear

My comment was about the manager and his apparent lack of self-awareness about what happened in the match today. That's quite important because if he is going to put things right, he has to realise it wasn't just about bad luck.

Fans will have all sorts of opinions about the game today, better or worse informed. I'm not sure it would be sensible to try to comment on the views of fans. They don't really matter in making the team better.

Not really. You branded Lambert a "poor deluded fool" for stating that he thought we didn't deserve to lose and I'm merely asking if that makes me (and other fans) who think the same thing also "poor, deluded fools"?

I think by the end of march we will be no higher than 16th.

Norwich is a huge game but can't see us getting anything from it.

I know others experienced relegation under Doug but I've never experienced 4 consecutive seasons like this. Its just depressing seeing how far we've dropped and let's face it even with a decent level of investment it will probably take another couple of years for us to be regular top half again. We have no long term future under this owner and manager. Its a disgrace that they've dropped us so low and it can't be much longer until the fans turn.

Ofcourse we have a future.  Sell a couple of below standard players in the Summer and sign 4 or 5 quality players and that will push us on to a different level. Then the manager won't have a squad full of cheap squad fillers and will be able to have players on the bench that are of a decent standard.  

The only worry is whether we stay up this season as we need our strikers scoring goals and atm it doesn't look like they know how to.  I'm also worried that Lambert is being too defensive with his tactics and it hasn't been working as of late. Ofcourse this would be helped if we had a striker who could score goals(Libor?) as we have only scored 1 in the last 4 games and have created enough chances in 3 of those games to win them. Versus West Ham we hammered them for 30 minutes and couldn't score, same against Cardiff for the entire second half and in the first half today we had about 5 great opportunitys to score a goal.  

Its a worrying sign when a team can't score and it could be the thing that sends us down if we don't sort it out soon. A couple of players need dropping, Weimann should be coming off the bench as an impact sub and Gabby should probably be an impact sub for certain games also.  Play Benteke up front on his own and play 2 proper wingers that run the line although I'm struggling to think of who could play on the left wing. Maybe give Tonev another shot as the only time he looked anyway decent was when he switched to the left vs Cardiff at home and was involved in Kozaks goal and also put in a few other decent crosses.

We haven't got the knowledge,quality, nouse,experience or team to hurt teams who are as bad or worse than us.

That is because the manager is out of his depth.

The team is poor, the squad is dire.

We have a very worrying couple of months ahead of us.

o it

Not really. You branded Lambert a "poor deluded fool" for stating that he thought we didn't deserve to lose and I'm merely asking if that makes me (and other fans) who think the same thing also "poor, deluded fools"?

OK, let me spell it out in slightly different terms. Your comment appears to be a direct attempt to start a pointless argument and I am not rising to it.

End.

• Like 1

o it

OK, let me spell it out in slightly different terms. Your comment appears to be a direct attempt to start a pointless argument and I am not rising to it.

End.

I don't want to start an argument. Can you not see how your original comment could be seen to be indirectly insulting not just Lambert but other fans as well?

If you think Lambert is a "poor deluded fool" for other reasons then fair enough but I take exception to this notion that thinking we didn't deserve to lose today suddenly makes one a "poor deluded fool".

Edited by Mantis

Â