The Non England Euro 2016 Qualification thread.

VillaChris

They say Casillas has lost it.

And they're quite right.

He has never been a very good goalkeeper.

I am amazed people have only just picked up on this.

He was just as average as he was 10/15 years ago under the Galactico era, and the subsequent barren spells when Becks and Co. moved on.

Another Madrid golden boy who has got away with way too much at that club.

Absolute nonsense.

He's declined recently, but saying he's never been very good and always been average is utter tosh.

He is lucky to have played behind some truly world class players, when Madrid were on the knees and needed him he was nowhere to be found.

And they're quite right.

He was just as average as he was 10/15 years ago under the Galactico era, and the subsequent barren spells when Becks and Co. moved on.

Absolute nonsense.

He's declined recently, but saying he's never been very good and always been average is utter tosh.

He is lucky to have played behind some truly world class players, when Madrid were on the knees and needed him he was nowhere to be found.

That doesn't disagree with anything I've said.

For a long period of time Casillas was world class, arguably the best in the world.

Saying he has always been average, I'll reiterate, is nonsense.

And they're quite right.

Absolute nonsense.

Really. Look at their defensive players between 2003-2006, it was a joke they back 4s they were putting out and they had no defensive midfielders for two years when they sold Makelele.

Casillas bailed them out time and again,

• Like 1

Not that I agree with the analysis that he was "nowhere to be seen" but what exactly is a goalkeeper supposed to do to single-handedly turn around a team that is "on it's knees" anyway?

And they're quite right.

Absolute nonsense.

For a long period of time Casillas was world class, arguably the best in the world.

I wouldn't say he's ever been the best in the World, but I agree with what you're saying. 2002-03 when they won the title he had a 400 year old Hierro and Ivan Helguera in front of him. Hardly an iron defence.

Casillas was a great goalkeeper and was among the very best in the world for a long time and you could have definitely argued, at various points, that he was the very best in the business. 

Now he is just completely shot to shit, he should be dropped from the national team completely and never ever recalled again. He should also be replaced at Madrid on account of him being not good enough at that level any more. 

He has lost it physically, he always relied on great reflexes, and they are not there any more. He also seems to have lost it mentally, his concentration levels and decision making skills aren't there. 

I just think it's a classic case of an athlete losing his physical gifts due to miles on the clock. Although 33 can be a prime age for a lot of keepers I think the fact that Casillas has basically been a regular for Madrid and Spain for 15 years means he has accumulated more wear and tear than most keepers at that age. 

I'm frankly amazed that he's still starting for Spain after the world cup he had. They have much better keepers in reserve. 

Edited by Dr_Pangloss
  • Like 1

And they're quite right.

Absolute nonsense.

I wouldn't say he's ever been the best in the World, but I agree with what you're saying. 2002-03 when they won the title he had a 400 year old Hierro and Ivan Helguera in front of him. Hardly an iron defence.

I'd probably agree that he was never quite the best. but that's why I said arguably. It's certainly not a ludicrous claim.

I genuinly don't think Casillas was even good enough to go to the World Cup. How he went and then started was quite baffling really. Weird how not even being the best Spanish keeper at the club still had him starting for Spain. Madness.

I genuinly don't think Casillas was even good enough to go to the World Cup. How he went and then started was quite baffling really. Weird how not even being the best Spanish keeper at the club still had him starting for Spain. Madness.

I think it was mainly to do with the fact he was captain but also Del Bosque is known for his favouritism in his selections.

Even more baffling when Diego Lopez didn't even make the squad.

Casillas was surely just living off reputation at that point. And Reina got in by being Spain's number 1 cheerleader.

He played alright, he just happened to miss a great chance. It just shows how confidence/doubt can affect any player. A lot has been made of his international goal drought in Spain and you could tell it was playing on his mind. I'd expect him to be fine for them henceforth now that he's got his goal.

And they're quite right.

Absolute nonsense.

you didnt see the 2002 Champions League final then

Â